New member needs help with headphone amp for turntable playback
Nov 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PhillyTDI84

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

New to the forum and just getting into quality audio.  I need some help with picking a headphone amp.

What I am trying to accomplish is this...

Turntable----->Phono Preamp----->Headphone Amp----->Receiver or Headphones

I want to have the ability to choice between headphone and speaker playback with out switching RCA connections.  From what I have been reading I believe i need a headphone amp with a line out which would allow me to adjust the volume at the receiver.  Correct me if i am wrong, preamp out would use the volume controller on the headphone amp which would only be beneficial if my speakers did not have volume control?  This could also add noise and degrade the sound?

The equipment i have now is:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon----->Behringer PP400----->Sony HT-CT150

My headphones are AT ATH-M50

Right now space is a premium for me so i'm looking for something reasonable in size.  Also looking to be $200 or less.  I've been considering the Fiio E09K.  It looks to me like it will work as an easy solution until i upgrade to a proper receiver and speaker setup.  Vacuum Tubes seem appealing, but I think that may be out of my price range.  As I said I am new and trying to learn as much as i can, so please set me straight if I am misunderstanding anything.

Looking forward to your feedback.

-Andrew

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Heya,

The M50 doesn't need an amplifier, at all. So with your budget, I would focus more on how you split the signal from the phono pre-amp to a suitable device that outputs to a headphone and/or speakers. You shouldn't need another amp with pre-amp ability just to output to a receiver for speakers. Using a receiver at all in this setup defeats the point of even using an analog vinyl setup in the first place. I would look for a phono pre-amp that has a headphone port and still have it output to your speakers. For speakers, I wouldn't use a receiver, I'd use a dedicated amplifier.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back