New member looking for some recommendations
Mar 20, 2019 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Vetteguy

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I just found this site and have picked up quite a bit of info just lurking. Long story short I am very interested in HIRES audio. I currently have a Samsung Note 8 I use for personal listening with headphone. I have a set of Q35ii, but dont really like them (are not loud enough). Also have Audio Technica MSR7 that I really like. Would it be a big improvement in sound quality to get a dedicated Digital Audio Player like a Fiio, Ibasso, or such, or is the phone capable enough?

Also wondering if any of the Digital Audio Players can be used with android auto, which would be great for driving. I can currently use the note 8 for that, but I have a feeling a DAP may make a big diffrence in sound quality in the car. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Most phones actually sound pretty good and a lot of people rave about the LG v30 as many are buying one second hand to be used as a dap haven’t heard it so can’t say. Most budget daps are going to be close to some phones but others offer things like more storage and balanced connections that a lot of phones don’t have. I don’t know much about Android as I’m a iPhone guy but I think the Bluetooth out of a phone and dap would be pretty similar other than maybe higher resolution files could sound better but they are still getting compressed and sent over radio signal to the car but you are starting with a better version of the music. I think Tidal HiFi definitely sounds better than say iHeartRadio when using it in my car from my phone.

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 8
Well that would make a difference then. Several of the daps out now can be used as a transport via usb and most likely would work with the Android Auto but is just a guess though. What kind of budget were you thinking?

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Entry level daps won't get you much sound improvement over your particular phone. You need to consider daps in the 400 dollar and up range for that imo. If you can trade your phone into your provider and not pay over 150 to 200 dollars out of pocket, do so and get an LG V40. Not necessarily a better phone in entirety, but phenomenal sound quality with better dac chips and a more powerful amp.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Have you looked into using a dragonfly black or red with the phone?
The OP was also looking for a usb output for Android Auto so those won’t work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back