New Member Looking for New Gear Schiit jotunheim and Sennheiser HD 650
Feb 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ruxc82

New Head-Fier
Small introduction I currently have the Sennheiser HD 598 and they were the open back headphones i purchased and simply been amazed out the sound stage. Next I bought the closed back of the same model so the wife can sleep at night. I would say the base increased but no drastic changes. Next I purchased little dot I+ to add some kick to the 598's. Volume doesn't go above 10 on the amp and provides plenty of sound. I wouldn't say it adds clarity or anything like that. True HD music sounds great not sure that the amp or just the quality of the file. PC runs Realtek HD audio so I don't notice much difference with the amp vs straight from PC. Just a never ending volume. 

My preference of music is simply everything. I listen to anything from EDM, Country, Pop, Rock, Rap, JAZZ, etc. So a one headphone fit best approach is what I'm seeking. I recently broke my HD 598 head band and don't want to spend $50 for a new one when that could go to a higher end headphone. I have the stock tubes in the little dot and just trying to educate my self on amps at the moment on my setup and which tubes people have had success with. It may be plenty for the HD 650's not sure. I haven't looked into modding it yet either. I can solder and follow directions if needed.  

I've read Head-Fi Forums for a long time appreciate any advice from the community. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 25
The HD650's are a great all-rounder headphone but they lack the soundstage of the 598's. Sennheiser has come out with the HD599's, but I don't know what the gains are as far as soundstage or detail go.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 25
I find it hard to buy the hd-650 when the hd6xx is so much cheaper. Even cheaper than used hd650's. The k7xx is same price as the Hifiman he-400s. The 400s don't appear to come up on the used market much but there are a lot of used k7xx. Leads me to believe for $200 shipped I should snag the 400s up. The 6xx may never come again. Any thoughts?

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 25
I did suggest the HD 650's but the HD 600's are more neutral-sounding cans and a good bit cheaper too. I checked out this review for an idea of the 400s'. Reviewer compared them to being a lesser HD650 but still great headphones.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 25
I find it hard to buy the hd-650 when the hd6xx is so much cheaper. Even cheaper than used hd650's. The k7xx is same price as the Hifiman he-400s. The 400s don't appear to come up on the used market much but there are a lot of used k7xx. Leads me to believe for $200 shipped I should snag the 400s up. The 6xx may never come again. Any thoughts?

I have both the HE400S and the HD600. The 400S is a very good headphone with a spacious soundstage (much wider than the 600) and gorgeous mids. The treble on the 600 is a good bit more detailed, IMO, and I actually prefer the midbass detail on the 600 as well. $200 shipped is a steal. It's a good headphone.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for all the input. I thought I struck a good deal on a new pair of HD700's for $300. I believe they fit my style and I'll easily be able to push them. I will keep my eyes out for some other cans as well. Never thought RCA cables etc. would be so expensive.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 25
Thanks for all the input. I thought I struck a good deal on a new pair of HD700's for $300. I believe they fit my style and I'll easily be able to push them. I will keep my eyes out for some other cans as well. Never thought RCA cables etc. would be so expensive.
What rca cables are you talking about? You can pay anywhere from $2 to infinity.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 25
I have a bunch of rca cables around the house that are accomplishing the job just fine. Just amazed a 6inch rca cable can cost $200. Yes pure silver and so on but being new to the community that's not for the faint of heart. If the HD700 work out I will want a shorter cable. So hopefully I can grab a used moon audio one or something similar down the road.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 25
I have a bunch of rca cables around the house that are accomplishing the job just fine. Just amazed a 6inch rca cable can cost $200. Yes pure silver and so on but being new to the community that's not for the faint of heart. If the HD700 work out I will want a shorter cable. So hopefully I can grab a used moon audio one or something similar down the road.
If you want you can pay a $1000 a inch for speaker cables it can get that crazy.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 25
Ok Serman I've had the HD700's for a couple of weeks now. Sadly most of that was spent sick and not getting much time to listen. My first impressions were wow these things sound awful. First impressions with them I couldn't believe how poor they sounded. I can't really explain the sound quality now. I thought at first it was the LD1+ just not being up for the test. I didn't give up on them though and just kept listening with them.  5 hours later the amp was nice and hot and the sound was starting to be equal to the 598's. I've tried several types of music looking for that sweet spot that makes me say wow. Like what is it the 700's do great. I haven't found that yet. To me they feel pretty light and I can listen to them for hours at a time. I don't have any ear rub on the inside of the cups either. Style fit etc. I have no issues with them. The bass is fine for me I'm not looking for something to make the hairs vibrate. Vocals appear and highs are not piercing. They seem very neutral with nothing that's over focused. So far I'm pleased but not blown away.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 25
  Ok Serman I've had the HD700's for a couple of weeks now. Sadly most of that was spent sick and not getting much time to listen. My first impressions were wow these things sound awful. First impressions with them I couldn't believe how poor they sounded. I can't really explain the sound quality now. I thought at first it was the LD1+ just not being up for the test. I didn't give up on them though and just kept listening with them.  5 hours later the amp was nice and hot and the sound was starting to be equal to the 598's. I've tried several types of music looking for that sweet spot that makes me say wow. Like what is it the 700's do great. I haven't found that yet. To me they feel pretty light and I can listen to them for hours at a time. I don't have any ear rub on the inside of the cups either. Style fit etc. I have no issues with them. The bass is fine for me I'm not looking for something to make the hairs vibrate. Vocals appear and highs are not piercing. They seem very neutral with nothing that's over focused. So far I'm pleased but not blown away.

Hey ruxc82,

I have both the HD600, the HD650, and a Little Dot MKII. What I would recommend you do right now is go on ebay and order these tubes.... Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. This will make your Sennheiser headphone sing! The stock tubes are ok, but are lacking in the high and mid department. With these tubes I really felt that they opened up the headphones a bit and really gave some clarity in the mid and high area. Also, I would recommend getting expensive cable LAST. Your main goal should be to get quality DACs, Amps, and Headphones in that order. Cheers. Let me know how it turns out.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 25
  Hey ruxc82,

I have both the HD600, the HD650, and a Little Dot MKII. What I would recommend you do right now is go on ebay and order these tubes.... Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. This will make your Sennheiser headphone sing! The stock tubes are ok, but are lacking in the high and mid department. With these tubes I really felt that they opened up the headphones a bit and really gave some clarity in the mid and high area. Also, I would recommend getting expensive cable LAST. Your main goal should be to get quality DACs, Amps, and Headphones in that order. Cheers. Let me know how it turns out.

Hey ceppeh. I just got those tubes in yesterday and they were an improvement over the stock. I've played with my setup just a bit as well from my PC and I've gotten much better sound out now. I also just got these tubes in as well today

PERFECT MATCHED PAIR 5654 M8100 CV4010 MULLARD RTC 6AK5 EF95 LITTLE DOT! from ebay. I have to just say WOW!! Worth every penny. The packaging used was way over kill 3 padded envelopes bubbled wrap box and boxes inside boxes. excellent shipment from Poland. With these tubes the sound quality is at a whole new experience. It's like the headphones have woken up now and came to join the party. I'm very pleased with my setup now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back