New Member looking for Hifi IEM
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ejfishman

New Head-Fier
• Budget - ~$400-$600, willing to wait for used

• Source - 70% Android phone (galaxy s7)(open to getting a portable DAC) 30% schiit stack at desk

• Requirements for Isolation -High, used mostly on a train

• Public? Yes.

• Preferred Type of Headphone - iem

• Preferred tonal balance - a little extra bass without muddying everything

• Past headphones - RHA MA750 - these are my everyday right now - good sound signature, nice base for rap/hip hop. annoying cord with no microphone (not a requirement but helps), they just don't sound quite as good as my sennheisers. Isolation also isn't great

Sennheiser momentum 2 - not audiophile enough to explain but these just sound better than the RHAs (which were 1/3 the price). soundstage is great, isolation is ANC so not comparable but great for the train. I tend to not use over ears though

• Preferred Music - a lot of everything but in order: mostly rap/hip hop, relaxing to low fi/chillstep, some reggae and alt/90s rock
some songs I really enjoy from each category out of nice headphones:
Kendrick Lamar - Love
Travis Scott - Kelly Price
Nujabes - reflection eternal
Bob Marley - African Herbsman
Slightly Stoopid - Collie Man
Nirvana - the whole unplugged

I think because I listen to a good variety of music, I am scared to make a decision one way or the other

• What would you like to improve on from your set-up - better sound quality iems, removable cables so I can add a mic if needed.

Right now I am eyeing:
Campfire Dorado (used for $600) - concerned it may be too much bass for some easy listening songs

Campfire Jupiter ($450 used) - sound perfect, balanced with a little extra bass. lots of reviews say that while they are a good first attempt by CA, the Andromedas "fixed" a lot of the issues and are much better. Others say the Andromeda's lack bass, which is a concern for me,

Shure SE846 (450 used) - lots of reviews say these cant compare to newer iem's, but then compare them to $1k headphones, so are they not worth 1k, but great at $450? Older reviews from 5 years ago are all positive. Another advantage of these is I can get the custom molded tips for even better isolation which can all be found used for around 500.. Also open to other suggestions

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 10
I am worried about going "mid range" with CA, and then later wanting to upgrade again. It seems like the Jupiter has a similar sound while just being "better" but so many reviews say contradictory things. if only there were places to try CA in Massachusetts

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 10
even for rap or EDM? like if I fire up a Migos song I wont miss the bass? I cant imagine dropping $850 on B stock andromedas without ever hearing them but stupid MA law prohibits demoing earbuds

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 10
even for rap or EDM? like if I fire up a Migos song I wont miss the bass? I cant imagine dropping $850 on B stock andromedas without ever hearing them but stupid MA law prohibits demoing earbuds

Firstly I think the SE846 are good for their price but I listened to them and the Andros side by side and, honestly, I think the bass felt more impactful from the Andros - I’m not sure that’s a measurement thing but more a case of the Andros being so clean and well timed that big bass hits stand out as they are designed on a track. I got more of a “Oh crap” moment from the Andros when a big beat dropped.

They hold their own without being bass head orientated. I listen to Nirvana unplugged quite a bit on the andros and they’re so awesome because you can hear all those little details and really get lost in the music. I also listen to a lot of music with lots of distortion (Elliott Smith for example) and they hold that together in the bass, allowing you to feel all the details down there.

Andros wont add bass to a track without much but they will push the bass that’s there so you feel it.

And when I really want heavy bass I have a pair of X00 Purple Hearts. Nothing got bass compared to that :D

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Since you are interested in the brand, you might also look into a Campfire Polaris and see what you think. It is conceivable it could work for you as well.
+1 polaris, just got mine and love it... that bass!

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 10
Firstly I think the SE846 are good for their price but I listened to them and the Andros side by side and, honestly, I think the bass felt more impactful from the Andros - I’m not sure that’s a measurement thing but more a case of the Andros being so clean and well timed that big bass hits stand out as they are designed on a track. I got more of a “Oh ****” moment from the Andros when a big beat dropped.

They hold their own without being bass head orientated. I listen to Nirvana unplugged quite a bit on the andros and they’re so awesome because you can hear all those little details and really get lost in the music. I also listen to a lot of music with lots of distortion (Elliott Smith for example) and they hold that together in the bass, allowing you to feel all the details down there.

Andros wont add bass to a track without much but they will push the bass that’s there so you feel it.

And when I really want heavy bass I have a pair of X00 Purple Hearts. Nothing got bass compared to that :D

crap - I think you might have just convinced me to keep saving up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back