New member intro!
Feb 10, 2010 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Midrange Monster

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I figured this would be a good place to introduce myself...

I've been at the home audio and car audio thing for several years now and have joined the lifetime membership of AA (Audiophiles Anonymous!). I love gear but more importantly I love the music, and the juxtaposition of great music recorded well with great playback equipment is something very few of us can truly appreciate.

Anyways, I've sorta glossed over headphones throughout this period, but the interesting thing is without headphones I may never have gotten into this hobby..

Back in 1995 as a junior in H.S. with no money I was always pissed that the cheap headphones for my walkman would always give out on one side. It was very frustrating and one day I got $100 from a visiting uncle. To me it was to be spent on some good headphones with the top priority being sturdy cables that won't ruin my stereo imaging, hahahaha....

And SQ would be important to. I wanted nice big closed headphones that would cover the ear....I remember kids on the train with Colby's being the inspiration for this, lol.

I went to J&R Music World here in NYC to buy some cans. After much debate I wound up getting Sony MDR-V200s. When I got home and heard it on my walkman, I was blown away by how great they sounded! It was then officially that the audio love began...

I haven't listened to those phones in years and I'm sure they're nothing special anymore, but at the time they were light years ahead of $15 POS cans.

3 years ago I picked up MDR-V6s at the suggestion of some people who said they were probably the best cans pound from pound from Sony. I was a Sony fan and keeping it in the family I picked these. Decent phones, not bad...

So now I'm coming on here to try and learn all the nuances of the big boy cans....Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Stax, etc.

I'm not in position right now to buy gear but I do love the buildup to one day buying and knowing at any given moment what I would buy if I had the money to do so!

I will be posting in the appropriate forums hoping to learn some more, and if there are any events in the tri-state NY/NJ/CT area I'd love to come by! I know exactly the kind of sound I like, and which speaker manufacturers I'm into....so I think it will be easy to get to the bottom of this. My hunches say I'll be a Grado fan...let's see if I'm right!

Car audio, home audio (speakers), pro audio, headphones....I love every facet of high end. Usually most guys are into 1 and not the rest but I have an appreciation for everything so feel free to hit me up on those other areas!

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 22
too late..once u join head-fi its gone :p

welcome however
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 22
Welcome to Head-Fi, your wallet will hate you..........

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the welcome guys!!

My wallet has been disliking me since 2001, and then in 2006 it started to loathe me.
biggrin.gif

So tell me in preparation.....just how much bleeding is there with headphones?

I would imagine the good news is that issues like room treatment are non existent, and you just square away with your electronics and headphones. When I get involved I pretty much will start with headphones, amp, and cable in one shot....DAC, transport, phono, turntable I'm good.....for awhile.
wink.gif

Of course there's always the possibility of wanting some megabuck Stax....but this is always a possibility!

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome Midrange Monster! You're in luck. Check out Spring Meet in Bayside on March 13th. Looks like a great time for all attending.

Wow, this is amazing....this hotel is a few blocks from my old job.

Compared to all the great distances I've traveled for other audio related meets, this will be like having it in my living room!

I look forward to attending!

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 22
Welcome. Verry nice intro post!
Well there's a lot of money to be spend in headphone land. You just need to be able to restrain yourself. ....With chains for example.

Best advice: turn around and run, your wallet will thank you

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 22
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet....

I also like your handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back