New member intro, with a couple of questions...(of course)
May 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ohsigmachi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi!

I'm just starting to get serious about high quality portable audio, and high quality digital/PC audio.

My dedicated Portable Audio device is a Zune HD 32GB. After doing a bit of research I've come to conclude that it is going to be seriously limiting in my pursuit of an audiophile quality portable headphone experience due to it's lack of a portable digital audio output.
It also doesn't support .wav plaback although it does support .wma lossless.

So my fallback plan was to use my LG G2 with USB OTG as an audio source. However, it's biggest limitation is it's lack of expandable memory.

So my first question is, about expanding storage through a wifi protable hard drive. Has anyone used a wifi hard drive like the Seagate Wireless Plus to stream lossless audio to their adroid device and sent that audio through a USB OTG to a portable DAC/Amp?

If so, what were the results? Also, what andriod app .wav file player were you using.

OK, back to the Zune for a second. At home I have the Zune A/V dock with optical out, I purchased a Fiio D03K in order to take advantage of the digital output and send signal to a cheap Topping amp driving a pair of Polk VM10s had lying around.

Line out from the dock straight to the amp works, but with the optical cable between the dock and the Fiio I get nothing. Is the Zune's optical signal incompatible with the D03K?

May 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Hello Head-fi!

So my first question is, about expanding storage through a wifi protable hard drive. Has anyone used a wifi hard drive like the Seagate Wireless Plus to stream lossless audio to their adroid device and sent that audio through a USB OTG to a portable DAC/Amp?

Sounds like it would be app dependant. If you can find an app that will read the music, like a server connecting app, then it would be possible. I don't think you can do it through the native music app though.

May 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 3
Sounds like it would be app dependant. If you can find an app that will read the music, like a server connecting app, then it would be possible. I don't think you can do it through the native music app though.

Yeah, that is kind of what I was worried about. The interface between the phone and drive seems to be the sketchy link. Would an app like USB Audio Player Pro be able to discover the files on the wireless drive, since it has folder playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back