New Member Intro and Op Amp Rolling Topping D50s
Jan 29, 2020 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sam08861

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm a new member and fairly new to DACs in general.

Got a DAC to play hires content several months ago. Wanting to experiment with the sound a bit and one of the op amps (buffer stage) is socketed to allow for some level of tweaking.

Any recommendations and suggestions on how the sound may be affected?

In the socket now is an LME49720 now

Mar 24, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 3
Dear friend, someone suggested me to try Burson Vivid V6 Dual but you have to get also the extension for Dip-8 socket, because the op-amp is to tall to fit the case. The suggestion was also to put the same x 2 in the Topping A50 headphone amplifier, also with extensions. So according on what setup you have you will need at least one Burson V6 Vivid Dual or three. This could be laborious because online you can easily buy the V6 Vivid Dual in pairs, but not alone.

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Extending the socket in a DAC is going to increase noise. I wouldn't recommend it. (Extending the socket will cause noise in any device, it's just that it will be much more noticeable in a DAC.)

It's easy enough to look up the specs on the LME49720, but we'd need to know something more about the DAC, how its supplying the opamp, etc. It looks like a dual-channel opamp and can accept +or- 17V. That might put it in the range of familiar amplifier opamps such as the OPA2134 or OPA2227, etc. However, as evidenced by my first statement above, rolling opamps in a DAC is a trickier experience than doing it in an amp. Please be careful. Do plenty of research and be prepared for unexpected results. Be prepared to remove the power quickly if you smell burning or see smoke from the opamp. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back