New member, here's my setup.
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

shaitan667

Head-Fier
Hi all, been reading this forum for a while now and finally decided to join (the sound science forum did it for me )

Recently got a Fiio M11 second hand for $AUD450 that was only a few months old and in perfect condition - they retail for $AUD800. Pretty stoked with it.
My last DAP was the Fiio X5 3rd gen a couple years ago.

I've had a few days to play with it now and got it setup nicely (in terms of root access and the apps and tweaks I like).

Currently the only earphones I have are the Sennheiser Momentum Wired In Ears.
I'm enjoying them on the M11 - my phone has the worst audio output, so it's nice having a decent DAP again.

My PC audio is a Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro with the external console. Have this hooked up via optical to an old Sony DVD/SACD home theatre receiver and it's associated front speakers and sub (2.1)
For what it is, the sound quality is nice, but there is alot of hiss from the Sony. Both headphone and speakers. Not noticeable when playing at reasonable volumes, but at quiet levels it's a bit annoying.
Headphone output via the X-Fi console is great, no noise.

I think going forward, I want to get a decent set of closed backs again. Good ones I've had in the past were the first gen Sennheiser Momentum wired over ears, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, and the Sony WH1000XM3.
I wouldn't mind getting the Custom One Pro again, as the sound from them was quite fun.

In terms of open back, a friend has the Sundara and highly recommends them.
Does anyone know if the the X-Fi and the M11 have the power to drive them? I assume for the M11 I would be using the balanced output.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 2
The Sundaras aren't particularly difficult to drive, for planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back