New member here, after some advice please!
Mar 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fleabyte

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I am a new member. First up I would like to say thanks for all the threads about the koss KSC 75s, they were a great discovery...amazing!!

I am looking for some help in choosing a decent pair of phones for travel on the train to work. So far I have tried iems (x10, erp4) but they are uncomfortable for me and I get "complications" with pressure inside my ears. I also tried the Ath m50s but find them very sibilant and overly bright and aggressive (interestingly not an issue with my Sr80i or koss ksc75 which I love).

My needs are...

£150 budget
Closed design/good isolation
Grado/Koss type sound sig (tight understated bass, good musical mids, crisp but not harsh trebles)
Good for metal, rock, hip hop, indie and electronic.
Not bothered about size or comfort, I have a small head and a backpack

My source is a Fiio x3 playing wav or flac files.

I have thought about the Sony MDRzx700 and koss pro dj100 so far, any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Maybe Mikros 90. It's on ear, but isolation is good.

I keep trying to decide if it's truly Grado-like; it might be the closed Grado I've been looking for.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Look into the Soundmagic HP100. Here is a review: http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html

Maybe Mikros 90. It's on ear, but isolation is good.

I keep trying to decide if it's truly Grado-like; it might be the closed Grado I've been looking for.

If you find that headphone, let me know. I've been looking for one, too :)

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the recommendations and warm reception guys. Boy those sound magic hp100s look boootifull! The reviews description is spot on for what I look for in a headphone too, a serious contender but I am trying to avoid impulse purchasing this time so I will resist temptation to jus click "buy" lol.

Would raising my budget help, I am interested in the momentum over ear and Sony mdr1r but am afraid the sonys will be sibilant and the sennys a bit muddy?

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Wow those are sleek. 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back