New member - Help with a new audio setup
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DTMHibbert

New Head-Fier
Hi all, i recently stumbled upon this forum whilst researching some new audio gear and wow theres alot of information in here.

I have always been into audio but never really had the time of resources to fully invest, so i know my basics.

Let me explain what i want to achieve.

I listen to most of music on my PC through Apple Music and have recently started to download flac files. At the moment I'm listening to these through a really old pair of JBL Creatures (please don't laugh). The wife has bought me a pair of Momentum 2.0's and i really want to get the full use of them so i started looking at headphone amps/ then naturally i started looking at dacs as well. i will also mention that i have been recently looking at some Ruark Audio MR1 MK2's to replace my desktop speakers.

So my question is really what gear do i need? i have been looking at the Schiit Modi and Magni - does the modi multibit make a worthy difference? im guessing the new speakers can connect to the Magni via a rca to 3.5m cable?...

Thanks for all your help guys.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 12
TBH the Momentum 2 don't benefit too much from an amp. I run my M2's with my portable setup and only notice a very small difference with my FiiO A5 amp.

That being said, if you plan on upgrading your headphone at all down the line, the Schiit Stack is a brilliant option. If you aren't planning on upgrading your headphones, I'd recommend the Fulla 2 instead. Modi Multibit is overkill for the Momentum 2 IMO but is a worthy investment for later

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 12
New modi vali owner myself and a very happy one at that! I dont have magni but pretty sure it has preouts so you can rca out direct to your speakers presuming they have rca in.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 12
OK so if i wouldn't benefit from an amp i could still buy a DAC and have my speakers and headphones plugged directly into those for better audio?

Standalone DACs like the modi don't have any amplification capability so you would need an amp to be paired with the dac. The Schiit Fulla 2 is probably your best bet as it is both an amp and dac in one it also has pre-outs so it can also be used for your desk speakers. For the price it does everything very well. If you wanted to to get the modi though, you will need to also buy a separate amp- the magni 3 for example.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 12
Standalone DACs like the modi don't have any amplification capability so you would need an amp to be paired with the dac. The Schiit Fulla 2 is probably your best bet as it is both an amp and dac in one it also has pre-outs so it can also be used for your desk speakers. For the price it does everything very well. If you wanted to to get the modi though, you will need to also buy a separate amp- the magni 3 for example.
+1. Modi needs to be paired with an amp while the Fulla 2 is a complete package and won't need extra gear.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 12
Youre getting pretty solid advice thus far.i will add a few details....

Products like the Magni Uber have RCA outs for powered speakers.it will not work with passive speakers,so that is something to consider.If you want to get passive speakers you will need an amp.I went from cheap powered speakers to Pioneer LR22s to Focal Aria 905s...MASSIVE improvement each step of the way.

The problem for many of us in this hobby is upgradeitis(see above).If youre confident what you have will suffice then the Fulla suggestion is pretty solid,esp for the price.If you are like me and constantly looking for ways to get better and better sound I'd recommend skipping entry-level and at least getting a DAC and then an appropriate amp for your situation,which would be determined by what speakers you want and what headphones you have your eyes on after the Momentums

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 12
The problem for many of us in this hobby is upgradeitis(see above).
Feeling this. It reminds me of an old cycling joke:

The optimum number of headphones in your life (N) is equally accurately described by the following formulae:

N = H + 1
N = D - 1

Where:

H = the number of headphones you currently have; and

D = the number of headphones you would need to buy for your wife/husband to file divorce papers.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 12
I’m waiting for the one thread that states I have 20 g to put to a complete system... just doesn’t happened

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 12
I’m waiting for the one thread that states I have 20 g to put to a complete system... just doesn’t happened
Says the man with a hugo and a hugo tt

*glares with envy* :)

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 12

Funny,my younger brother just recently got into headphones,calls and asks for advice on cheap but solid,relaxed set-up,but nothing fancy.
I tell him go grab a DAC+HD650s and couple it with his vintage receiver.
What does he do?
Goes and buys the MHA150 ! Been interested in headphones for about a minute,goes and drops 4500.00 to "get started"
SMDH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back