new member - Grado can I use them for Pod/guitar
Aug 21, 2004 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jerster

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new to the forum as well as to the Grado cans. I can say I wasted to many years with sony headphones and this is the first time I feel like I can really hear the music through my zen. Well here is my question.... I also play guitar, mostly hard rock music I tired the Grados out the headphone output while playing a marshall setting with the distortion ( put not voulume) up in the 11 range ( a little Spinal Tap humor). It sounded great and I would like to continue playing through the Grados but am worried that I might affect the sound from my ipod. I emailed Grado and got " I wouldn't advise it!" thats it! I wrote back to ask to what is the difference between playing a Van Halen Cd through the Cans or my guitar. I guess they thought the question was to stupid to answer and ignored it ( i'd have to say I'm not to impressed with there attitude! ). Anyway can someone tell me what the differnce is and what if any damage I will do to my headphones. I realize I can buy a second pair and may want to upgrade later on but for now I can just afford the one pair. Thanks and look forward to your answers!

Aug 21, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 12
wait a sec - did you just say that you plugged your GRADO into your headphone amp - your MARSHALL? Then pumped distortion through it and played your guitar directly into it?

Dude, I don't care if that amp has a headphone out or not, don't do it. Use a crappy phone or something for that - not your Grados.

I once plugged some sony cans into my Bassmann 100 and they actually caught fire. dude, DONT DO IT.

Aug 21, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 12
I think Grado and everyone here has misunderstood you. He's talking of an amp modeler called a Pod by Line6. He specifically said he's upping the distortion setting for the Marshall amp model. That's distortion and not volume. He's not talking about plugging grados into a marshall amp and turning the volume all the way up. That's not what he's saying at all.

I used Grados as a guitar amp headphone myself (didn't up the volume guys.
tongue.gif
) and it was fine. I think it should be fine, and if Grado can't give you a better answer then shame on them.

Any guitar players care to elaborate or say why it's a good or bad idea?

Aug 21, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 12
thank you ,plainsong you captured exactly what I was tring to say. I should have used a bit more detail. To recap I'm using a Line 6 Pod with a lower volume but high distortion setting. I was really disappointed in Grados response. They acted like I was taking a chainsaw to a Stradivarius. I really can't see the harm because I'm not driving the drivers into distortion but rather providing preamp distortion into a farly clean headphone amplifier inside the Line 6 pod. Any other thoughts?

Aug 22, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 12
there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. After all, lots of rock music that I play through my grados have distorted guitars. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Music is music as long as your volume doesnt blow out your drivers.
biggrin.gif
Rock on

Aug 22, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 12
You'll be fine:

The pod doesn't amplify in any way, it is just a device that shapes the sound that will later be amplified.

So the output from the Output's is a line output whilst the headphone output is comparable to the headphone output on a discman...

It says phones on the jack, so plug 'em in!

Btw. i'm also on a pod, what model do you have (1.0/2.0/podxt?)

Aug 22, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 12
I use Grado SR-60s with my Digitech GNX3 which is a similar guitar amp modeler as the Line 6 POD. I don't crank the volume too high but I play loud enough to hear the detail in my playing & I haven't noticed any damage to the headphones as of yet (knock on wood).

I also use the Grado SR-60s for my CD Discman & Computer listening. I set the headphone output level on the Digitech GNX3 to about 25% which is IMO more than adaquate for headphone listening.

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi, thanks for the reasurance! I though I would be ok and probaly wouldn't have stopped using them if there was a risk of damage. They make my Pod sound so good that I haven't even used my tube stack since I got them! ( to loud anyway) To answer your question Aptmunich I am using the Pod 2.3 and have considered upgrading to the XT. I've heard that the new software update has improved the marshall tone and distortion levels to be quite good. It also has the killer clean sounds that the old pods dont' do to well. I don't think I would sell the 2.3 even if I did upgrade. I have some killer lead and crunch tones dialed in and don't think I can part. ( expec now that I have the Grados. I figure if I the sound quality starts sliping while listening to my zen I will just buy anouther pair. Well thanks again all it was fun chatting with you! Glad I joined the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back