New member from New Zealand
Jul 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Edgard Varese

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I've lurked for years but am de-lurking as I've just bought a Little Dot I+ to drive my Alessandro Ms1s (or alternatively the Grado SR60s).  Most of my listening is via computer, and I'm currently using an eMu0202 as a DAC.

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 18
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet 
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
I really like the MS-1s. Great headphone!

I like them too... this pair was a gift from a friend who had broken one of the plastic nibs that holds the headphone in place (he was upgrading anyway and he tends to give his old stuff away to friends).  I figured out how to repair it and they are almost as good as new. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 18
Welcome to headfi!

Aren't the MS1's compared to the SR80's? I know that Alessandro have a slightly better sound signature than stock grado. 
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Welcome to headfi!

Aren't the MS1's compared to the SR80's? I know that Alessandro have a slightly better sound signature than stock grado. 
smile.gif

Thank you.  I haven't heard the SR80s but my understanding is that the MS1s are considered to be slightly less forward.  Ideally I'd like to audition the range just to be able to better grasp the differences (and the improvement in sound as one moved up the line) but I get the feeling that window shopping would annoy the guys at the local shop.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 18
Hi, I went to a meet and was lucky to be able to work through the Grado range from soup to nuts. It is very bad for the wallet to do this, I came home and ordered the 80's and the MS1's. The difference between them is defined and very interesting, if I want to be on stage, I put on the 80's, if I want to be in the front rows I put on the MS 1.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Hi, I went to a meet and was lucky to be able to work through the Grado range from soup to nuts. It is very bad for the wallet to do this, I came home and ordered the 80's and the MS1's. The difference between them is defined and very interesting, if I want to be on stage, I put on the 80's, if I want to be in the front rows I put on the MS 1.

Interesting. 
bigsmile_face.gif

A few years back when I got the SR60s (my first serious pair of cans) I had visions of moving very quickly up the Grado upgrade ladder, but in the meantime my kids started doing competitive gym and dance... which helped to derail that idea. 
biggrin.gif
  But I still plot ways to upgrade... one day...

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Yep - a few of us around now.

Would love to get a meet going one of these days.  Greetings from Invers.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 18
Hi, I waited until my sons were slightly less dependent on my wallet before I set sail into this great hobby. I am now semi retired and really enjoying listening to my favourite music in stunning quality. I can honestly say I have heard subtle and not so subtle facets that I had never heard before. My only slight grump with this hobby is that sometimes I worry that some colleagues listen to their kit, rather than the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back