New member from Austin TX
Sep 25, 2016 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ScanSpeak HiFi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. First post here. Not new to audio but I am new to using headphones for general hifi music listening. I have used Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's in the past for monitoring purposes. My current main music system at home is a 3 way active system using DSP extensively with extremely high end ScanSpeak Revelator drivers.

So I was goofing off at the local Best Buy a while back and came across a pair of over ear Sennheiser Momentums that I actually liked. This piqued my curiosity so this week I decided to pick up a couple pairs of headphones to see if they're comparable to my home system. I figured it would also be nice to have an "on the go" audio system (cell phone and headphones) when I'm not at home.

I went with some Audio Technica M50x's, Sennheiser HD650's, and a TEAC HA-P50 amplifier. Although these aren't even close to being a replacement for the home stereo, it's nice having a couple pairs of headphones as an option.

So I have to ask for those of you that may have compared them, how do the IE800's compare to the HD650's?

Thanks guys.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi, I am from Austin as well. Although I haven't tried a IE800, I have a couple of IEMs that I can let you try to give you a feeling on what IEMs can offer. Basically the kind of presentation that speakers offer cannot be matched by headphones/IEMs. On the other hand, you can hear many more details from the headphones/IEMs than the speakers. 

Here is an interesting read: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/strengths-and-weaknesses-headphones-and-speakers

Let me know if you are interested in trying my IEMs. I have the IE80 (Not the IE800) and a Rhapsodio Galaxy which is a detail monster. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey Eagle Wings. Glad to see some other Austin members here. I'd actually like to give your IE80's a try to compare them to my roommates. I could be wrong but I have a feeling he got a fake pair from Amazon. I thought they sounded horrible when he first got them a few months back. I'll need to double check though.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 4
IE80 has an enhanced mid-bass which can make it sound muddy. Some like it and some don't. Those who don't like the enhanced mid-bass, do a simple mod called the tape-mod which controls the mid-bass thus adding some more life to the mids and treble. 

I live on the S.Lamar Blvd. Let me know if you are available this week sometime during the evening except Wednesday. Or today evening (Sunday Sep 25th) would work for me as well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back