New member choosing amplifiers
Jun 25, 2020 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dwhistance

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post to Head-Fi though I have been a headphone user for the last 25 years. For most of that time I have used a pair of Stax SR007 Mk1's with an SR007T amplifier but because they were open back and my now teenage sons could hear everything and complained I sold them a year ago. I'm now regretting that decision and am looking for a replacement pair of headphones and matching amplifier, albeit this time closed back ones so I can listed whilst the rest of the family are watching TV, etc.

Having read lots of threads I decided to buy a pair of Audio Technica W5000's to get me started as their sound signature appealed to me. I am now looking for an amplifier to pair with them. From all the old threads there seemed to be two main choices, the Yamamoto HA-2 and the Audio Technica HA5000, both of which are still available, albeit the AT needs to be purchased used. I am however a bit concerned that those two amplifiers are maybe a bit limited in their choice of matching headphones should I choose to upgrade in future so wondered whether there are any more recent amplifiers that are a good match with the W5000's and a bit more flexible? Would the Hagerman Tuba work well with them for example? What other choices are there? I prefer tubes as you will see from the rest of my equipment below:

Garrard 401 turntable, Ortofon Synergy SPU, Fidelity Research FR64fx arm, Fidelizer Nimitra server, Lampizator Atlantic TRP DAC, SJS Arcadia pre, phono and power amplifiers, Ocellia Calliope 30 speakers.

I'm very interested to read any suggestions/comments anyone may have.

Thanks in advance.

David Whistance

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 8
If you like Stax you may want to look at an Amp which can drive Stax too.

I have the Audiovalve Solaris at the moment. It can drive every headphone (including Stax) except sensitive IEMs and has every connection you need. Also different modes like low impedance or OTL mode.

It's not common in the USA but i think there are amps that are equally built. When i look at your rig i think these amps are the way to go.
Often these are considered to be better than the Stax amps.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Interesting post. Also good to see a fellow Lampi TRP owner on this forum:beerchug: Knowing how much the TRP costs,it seems your budget is somewhat flexible?
Are you deadset on the ATH 5000s? I think coming from a STAX the 5000s might disappoint you. They have great mids and do female vocals very well,as well as strings,but the staging isnt fantastic. Bass can sound a little light. They also arent the final word in comfort.

I prefer tubes as you will see from the rest of my equipment below:
Yeah,me too. I'd get into a nice OTL amp and pair it up with a high impedance headphone,such as a ZMF Verite closed,which blows the doors off of the AD5000w. Later down the line if open backs become an option for you,Id add an HD800 to the mix,or keep it all ZMF and go for the Verite open.

Just my .02

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you, yes my budget is "somewhat flexible". I'm certainly not wedded to the ATH W5000's though I would like to match them with an amplifier to get me restarted. Once up and running I'll be in a better position to assess how often I use the headphones verses the loudspeakers and will then invest accordingly. There were a couple of ZMF Eicon's for sale in the UK in the last few days but I didn't feel confident enough to bid on them. I'll keep a better look out in future. I'll also start researching OTL headphone amps though I know they won't work with the W5000's due to the low impedance.

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 8
I'll also start researching OTL headphone amps though I know they won't work with the W5000's due to the low impedance.
Generally speaking that is correct,though there are a few exceptions.
There were a couple of ZMF Eicon's for sale in the UK in the last few days but I didn't feel confident enough to bid on them. I'll keep a better look out in future

Since you're coming from a STAX set-up im guessing neither 5000w nor the Eikon will give you the sound you're used to.
Gauging how often you will actually use a headphone setup before tossing multiple thousands at a new setup is a wise move.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Thank you, yes my budget is "somewhat flexible". I'm certainly not wedded to the ATH W5000's though I would like to match them with an amplifier to get me restarted. Once up and running I'll be in a better position to assess how often I use the headphones verses the loudspeakers and will then invest accordingly. There were a couple of ZMF Eicon's for sale in the UK in the last few days but I didn't feel confident enough to bid on them. I'll keep a better look out in future. I'll also start researching OTL headphone amps though I know they won't work with the W5000's due to the low impedance.
You should maybe really look up the Audiovalve Solaris. It allows you to run low impedance in OTL mode too since it got -15 dB pregain.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 8
I've had a good look at the Audiovalve website and agree that the Solaris is very impressive (as are several of their other headphone amplifiers). I will try to listen to them somewhere as, for me anyway, they are priced at a level where I would want to hear them before purchase. I'll keep an eye on their website to see if they are attending any shows that I could get to once lockdown eases fully. Buying an amplifier that will allow me to use a wide selection of headphones is very appealing, however just at the moment I'm inclined to just get one that will work well with the ATH-W5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back