New Member: Can my portable md drive my Porta Pros?
Jan 6, 2002 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BQQO

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

It looks like I´m in the right place. You guys seem to know so much!

My question: I have a portable Sony MD MZ-R90. Tomorrow i will get my first descent cans. I ordered the Porta Pros from Koss. Now I´m worried that they won´t sound loud enought. I´m not ready to get any amps or so.

Is it a problem?

If it is: what can I do?

I do most of my recordings from my computer (mp3) with a Sonicvortex2 card connected to the MD with an optical cable.

Greeting from Sweden!

PS: (for swedish readers) . I think 581:- SEK ($55) is a very good price for a pair of Porta Pros. (At least in sweden...) Checkout www.dataparadiset.com.

/Henry

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 8
I am not familiar with your player's power rating, but the Porta Pros sound loud enough with every portable I have tried. That is, if you value your hearing
smily_headphones1.gif
So you should not have any problem.

Jan 6, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks!

"maximum output level 5 mV+ 5mV, load impedance 16 Ohm."

Is this enough??

Can I maybe alter my way of recording to get more loudness without sacrifice of quality?

(Thanks for your concern about my hearing
wink.gif
)

Jan 6, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 8
1) should be enough, and 2) no, if your recordings are too loud, the sound will be distorted.

Jan 7, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Henry you are welcome.

When you receive your Portas, tell us how you like them.

Jan 7, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 8
At last i got 'em!
smily_headphones1.gif

My opinion is that they do sound great out of the box. They don't look like they're anything special though. Like trace says: cans that look crappy sound good!

Right now I have a cold but when i get well I'm gonna use em while training. That part will probably work out great, they fit me nicely and are really light! The problems I've encountered are that my hair gets stuck in the headband, and in some cases my MD cannot give me enough output. But mostly it's not a problem.

I'll tell yall more when i have used 'em awhile.

What cans do you prefer on the go Daniel?

Jan 7, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 8
My D-25s is rated at 9 mW (I think), and I can only turn it up to 4 (max=10) before it gets very loud. It also depends a lot on how loud the CD you are listening to is recorded (all CD-s should probably be recorded at 0 DB maximum, but they are not).

Hair stuck in the headband - happened to me a few times.

"What cans do you prefer on the go Daniel?"

If you mean running, the Pros are not good, the KSC-35s should be better (I don't have them but that's what others say).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back