New member and looking for new headphones
Aug 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

seanfisher5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody:

Been lurking around for a little while now and decided to make a new account. Hope to be a positive contributor to the community in whatever way I can be.

I'm also looking for a new pair of headphones, as I will be going off to college. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $200-300, preferably an over-ear model, although on-ear model would suffice. I've only had ear buds in the past, with my most recent pair being a free pair from Pure Gear.

I've looked at some headphones already, such as Monster's DNA and various V-Moda products. I'm particularly smitten with the M-100's. I listen to all sorts of music, including hip-hop, rap, electronic, rock, and jazz, among others. It'd be a great help if you guys could help me find some alternatives.

Hope to get to know you guys better.

Sean

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 11
Hey Sean,  Can you tell us a little more of what you're looking for in your headphones?  Will you be listening mainly in your room, do you prefer open or closed, are aesthetics important, etc?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 11
I will likely be listening to them on the go and in my room, mostly on the go. I'm not sure about the difference between open and closed back headphones, so I can't make that judgement right now. Aesthetics would be nice, bit aren't a huge factor. Durability/portability would be very nice as well. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 11
Since you will be listening in public you're most likely going to want to go with closed.  The difference between the two is that closed phones isolate better so you aren't leaking sound to everyone around you if you're in a quite environment. open phones tend to have a much better sound stage (the sound seems to be outside of your head, if that makes sense), but they dont isolate well at all.  They both have their advantages and disadvantages.  But as far as the M-100s go, I haven't heard them personally but I've read a ton of positive reviews about their performance, and there's even a video interview that Jude did with Val (the creator of V Moda) where he talks about that particular model.  I'm sure there are tons of reviews floating around here.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Hello!

Welcome to Head-Fi! :D 

If you listen to modern music a lot, MDR-1R is a choice or if you more bassy, UE6000! IF you prefer more neutral sound and with bass that extends deep, PSB M4U1! If you can find Sennheiser Momentum within your price range [$350 is a bit pricey atm], they sound great with all genres with exception of acoustic and classical as they do not have spacious soundstage

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 11
The M100's are a great choice IMO and are easily driven by an S4 or any mobile device for that matter. There's also the Sennheiser Momentum if you're looking for a warmer, more neutral sound. It's also easily driven.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 11
They're a grat headphone for the price, but other headphones are catching up. Some better options for less/same amount of money are the Beyer DT770, ATH A900x, KRK KNS8400, and Shure SRH840.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 11
They're a grat headphone for the price, but other headphones are catching up. Some better options for less/same amount of money are the Beyer DT770, ATH A900x, KRK KNS8400, and Shure SRH840.

+1!

Also the UE6000 is a strong alternative as well!

Billson :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 11
Are there any special deals with the M-100's that I should know about? I've heard things about the custom earplates and their warranty. I've also heard rumors about new, larger earpads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back