New Member, Amp Recs for HE-500.
Apr 28, 2019 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Chapekja

New Head-Fier
Recently purchased the HE-500's, Looking for a mid-level balanced amp to pair nicely with the planar 500's.

I have the Schiit Modi Multibit DAC
Price ceiling 750 USD.

The Cavalli liquid platinum, monoprice, audio-gd NFB 1 amp, Jot, Lyr 3, massdrop x 789 are standouts to me at this juncture.

Personally, I like bass and would like an amp that really accentuates bass/mids of the HE-500. Any experienced folks willing to chime in with recommendations, and personal experience.

Thanks

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 15
I've an HE 560 and I would honestly try the MD X789 if you can still get it.

Lyr 3 and/or Project Ember II are also good options but I think you'd get a better value overall with the MD 789 to be entirely honest

Still I prefer Hybrid Tube amps with my Pre Fazor LCD 2.2 and my Ember II has worked nicely. I've liked the Lyr 3 equally as much and I'll hopefully have some thoughts on the two

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 15
So the MDX is really tough to find.

I would like some clarification on the notion of planars loving power, specifically balanced power. Is there any data or objective info out there to guide me to a certain wattage break-point for the HE-500's? If anyone with the HE-500's could chime in with what they feel is a great amp pairing (specifically a great balanced amp that is relatively new) I would be most appreciative.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 15
In general, higher impedance requires the amplifier be capable of higher voltage swing and lower impedance will put a greater demand on the current delivery capabilities of the amplifier. After which, you can use the sensitivity rating to determine how much power is required to reach a given SPL for the frequency at which the sensitivity has been measured.
The 300 ohm, 104 dB SPL/mW HD650 require 3.46V to reach 120 dB and will draw 40mW in doing so. The 14 ohm, 92 dB SPL/mW AFC require 2.97V to reach 120 dB but will draw 630mw.
At more reasonable levels, lets say 110 dB peaks, the HD650 will max out the voltage rails on a Dragonfly Black at 1.1V, but will only be drawing a 10th of it’s available current. The AFC would need less than 1V, but require 50% more current than the DFB can supply … so they’d have been clipping hard not far north of 100 dB.

There are lots of potential reasons why having more power available than you actually need may sound better (as it invariably does …). For one, you don’t have to run the amplifier as close to its limits when you have ample power on tap. Which can mean components operating closer to their sweet spots, never running the amp up against its rails or exhausting available capacitance.
It’s also worth noting that the nominal calculations for “required power” are based on specifications that are generally expressed for a single point in the spectrum. The impedance and sensitivity numbers are usually taken at one fixed frequency (1 kHz is common), and that is not necessarily reflective of a given transducers MOST demanding (or least efficient) operating point - so things like power needed for deep bass notes may be way off the value used for the published specs.

Torq posted this else where but I love sharing his perspective elsewhere when discussions of power arrise

I personally like Hybrid Tubes with my LCD2 PreFazor/HE 560 & currently with the sendy Avia

I find the Hybrid Amps help balance the presentation of planars, as some planars are "too fast" in that their presentation sounds a bit exagerated

That said, I personally like my Ember II but the Schiit Lyr 3 is also a good option.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 15
Cavalli Liquid Carbon I like a lot with my 500’s The Cavalli Tube Hybrid from Massdrop is also very good with them my favorite that I have is a Audio GD Master 9 but it is like 4 or 5x the price and 10 to 15x the size that thing is huge .

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Ultimately I decided on the Lyr3, didn't really want to cough up the extra 250$ for the Cavalli hybrid.

Any comparisons with the two aforementioned Cavalli models to the lyr3? I'd imagine it's somewhere between the two.

I'd also add that I went ahead and got an additional tube (Ken rad vt231) after researching some favorite tube pairings.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Ultimately I decided on the Lyr3, didn't really want to cough up the extra 250$ for the Cavalli hybrid.

Any comparisons with the two aforementioned Cavalli models to the lyr3? I'd imagine it's somewhere between the two.

I'd also add that I went ahead and got an additional tube (Ken rad vt231) after researching some favorite tube pairings.
I’m not sure what you mean as a Lyr 3 is $499 and a CTH is $250.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 15

I’m not sure what you mean as a Lyr 3 is $499 and a CTH is $250.

Ehh that is an odd response... even second hand Lyr can't be less than CTH. Though is it possible second hand CTH when drop is inactive has a lot of markup?

Still Lyr 3 isn't a bad idea

Regarding Tubes if you've not heard any before I really recommend starting with a new Production Electro Harmonix 6SN7. While you may LOVE the KenRad vintage tubes vary from piece to piece literally, I've had 3 of the same tube and some sounded worse than others. Having a new stock production unit as your baseline is helpful as 99% of those new stock units sound the same.

Still the KenRad isn't a bad choice! I hope it's everything your wanting it to be. I'll also say the 6SN7 thread is quite a fun read! There's two of them actually, and the Project Ember II Tube Rolling thread is also a good read for 6SN7 tube inquires

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 15
Just to clear up any confusion the Cavalli hybrid I was referring to was the liquid platinum.

As for the replacement tubes I was planning on running the stocks for a while to get a baseline.

Thanks for all the information!

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Ehh that is an odd response... even second hand Lyr can't be less than CTH. Though is it possible second hand CTH when drop is inactive has a lot of markup?
Still Lyr 3 isn't a bad .
Why is this odd? A Lyr 3 is $499 and a CTH is $250 pretty cut and dried to me.

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 15
Why is this odd? A Lyr 3 is $499 and a CTH is $250 pretty cut and dried to me.

He didn't say CTH he just said Cavali Hybrid an I usually short hand it to MCTH since it's the mass drop exclusive Cavali Hybrid

Just to clear up any confusion the Cavalli hybrid I was referring to was the liquid platinum.

As for the replacement tubes I was planning on running the stocks for a while to get a baseline.

Thanks for all the information!

That's why it's odd, as what Cavali Hybrid was he speaking to. The Liquid Plat was it

back to CTH You can also find out of drop Massdrop stuff being sold for twice it's in drop [or in stock] price. Which would be odd if he stumbled across that so quickly

Alsoooooo, I've heard the Lyr 3 with Modi 3/Modi 2 and I enjoyed it. I heard Liquid Plat out of a Soekris 15XX and wasn't a fan, so I think you may have made the better choice

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Just never heard the Platinum referred to as the Cavalli Hybrid sorry. Just have to say though had the Lyr3 in house for a bit and would pick the Platinum,Carbon,CTH and even Spark over the Lyr3 but that is me .

May 1, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 15
Just never heard the Platinum referred to as the Cavalli Hybrid sorry. Just have to say though had the Lyr3 in house for a bit and would pick the Platinum,Carbon,CTH and even Spark over the Lyr3 but that is me .

Hmm, I'm sure you swapped out the Tubes

Liquid Plat for me was toooooo thick, made me HE 560 SOOO slow and icky. When I've heard Lyr 3 it's not been with my own equipment but some ZMF stuff and it wasn't bad. Same for MCTH tho I felt MCTH was a different presentation overall

Still I may hold a different view after I've heard it on my own systems

Still what didn't you like about it and what tubes did you run in it that worked better in other amps?

May 1, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 15

Reading else where, it seems some there felt the LP [Liquid Plat] does change it's tonality based on the tube. Could be why I wasn't a fan of it when I heard it, maybe the owner enjoyed a richer presentation

Non the less some of them also felt Lyr 3 was a bit more forward and didn't stage as well

Only complaint I saw about LP was that it wasn't "explosive" for me I like my HE 560 EXPLOSIVE

I swapped it into darker pads and went full silver so I like an amp that runs it balls to the walls, heck my 1940 Syl 6sn7 is a fairly "focused" and tight sounding tube and I prefer it with HE 560.

I'm thinking a thicker tube in LP might be why I had such a disdain for it with my HE 560, but for an amp to be described as "reserved" and lacking "explosiveness" isn't a bad thing.

Still based on what you've told us @Chapekja

Personally, I like bass and would like an amp that really accentuates bass/mids of the HE-500.

I'm thinking you'll like that extra touch of forwardness you may get in Lyr 3 VS LP, LP might be a worth while upgrade for you in the future among other things.

Though I like to encourage people to start out with a Hybrid Tube amp using a Single Dual Triode Tube. Experimenting with tubes and figuring out what you like is easier when your only buying one

An I've never had an issue reselling tubes I didn't personally like. Now my modded SET is a 3 tube pair, single triode power and dual triode single driver and based on my experience with my own single triode driver Hybrid I was able to more or less get exactly what I wanted when I purchased tubes for that amp.

Tube family's have a "house sound" and I figured out I like the presentation of Sylvania Tubes and other Russian/Eastern European [Ideally German] Tubes

Not a fan of Mullard or Ken Rad style presentations for everything.

So I think overall getting a lesser expensive amp that will add some emphasis is a good place to start. Especially if your wanting to try some different tubes

Also fun!!! my weekend demo/show unit did arrive today! So here's to hoping my opinion of it stands true when I hear it on my home system in a few hours!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back