New Member & advice on sound upgrade for my Dell studio 17?
Aug 24, 2009 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

norskman

100+ Head-Fier
smile_phones.gif
[size=x-small]HelloFellow Forum members...
I am a new member from Norway,although i am English...I was so thrilled to rediscover headfi? i joined in 2006! then life took a turn for the worse..anyway i forgot all about the forum..

I would very much appreciate some help re-upgrading the sound to my Dell Studio 17 laptop? a week or two back i did not have a clue about the subject..but through posting on the dell boards & elsewhere..at least now i have some basic understanding but would value some expert opinion.

Quote:

IDT 92HD73C audio chip on your motherboard. It's specs provided by IDT say it "provides stereo 24-bit, full duplex resolution supporting sample rates up to 192kHz by the DAC and ADC."

[/size]The above is the spec of my current oboard DAC...

OK! I do not have any opportunity to try out DACS/SPEAKERS/SOUND-CARDS e.t.c.as we live in the backwoods..so i check out things as best i can, mainly through research and recommendations from guys like you on these boards...

To date i have received some welcome advice..the consensus being i think look at active speakers first>? which i did and came across the AUDIOENGINE 5s!!:I never read a negative comment about them..and thought OK that is a start..so unless i am persuaded differently they will be the speakers i choose.?

Moving on to the DAC,as you see above i have listed the DAC on my Dell..i am told it is good?but should i buy a replacement which would show good overhaul improvement in sound quality?? and if so which of the many super DACS should i be looking at..i am amazed just how many there are...i especially like the mini versions...from several comapnies..all well known to you guys i suspect..liked the look and specs of the Fubar range..but there are others also...then of course there are the full size models..i do not wish to go to far with this..am just trying to strike a balance here...but if there are full size basic models worth a look then please let me know....

We have an ancient home HI-Fi and i do not plan to use it...i would prefer my own compact system in my small office..
I do also own a Sandisk sansa Fuse 8gb Mp3 Player...which will get more use at home than on the road...

most of my music will be MP3 which is on the laptop or downloaded to.
i do intend to buy a nice pair of full size headphones.must be comfortable on the ears..and open backed (maybe)..maybe a Head-amp if required..
but i do not wish to go to mad...but it would be nice to have music for most occasions and usages?

anyway enough for my first posting

many thanks

Regards Steve
beyersmile.png

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 3
I'd recommend getting an external DAC, so that you don't loose any mods when you do upgrade your lappy. One of the following: Pico, Zero, Compass or Keces DAC would work for you.

What's your budget for this upgrade?

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 3
[size=x-small]Good day Eugene....
regular_smile .gif

Firstly many thanks indeed for your most helpful reply..really am obliged to you....

Quote:

Pico, Zero, Compass or Keces DAC

Just when i thought i had discovered most of the available DACS? a long you come and give me more to look at
eek.gif
to be fair i had just found the Zero range but the other two are new to me...hark at me,I sound like a veteran Hi-Fi expert...?

I will later,go and view the DACs you suggest...how do you begin to tell a good DAC from an average DAC? Obviously one way,is first hand knowledge from guys like you,reading reviews which i have not stopped doing for days......
...I am so dam good at wasting money..so i really need to be sure what i am doing and above all why..if it makes sense and can be justified in someway then great...[/size]

Please can I ask? if i go for a good external DAC..does that mean i will not have to upgrade my DELL Sound-card e.t.c.because as i understand it(please correct me if i am wrong) the external DAC bypasses the on-board DAC..?

What else would i require,which may help the mods?
would better cabling help? and if so which.

Some folk have suggested to me..to buy HI-FI Separates instead IE: passive speakers & an integrated amp....???and i suspect i would still need to upgrade the DELL even with a hi-fi set up??
Suppose i am looking for a good reason/excuse..and a good argument,in favor of using the active style AUDIOENGINES 5s and micro or other DACs e.t.c... e.t.c.

anyway i think that is more than enough for the time being

many thanks once again
all the very best for now
regards Steve
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back