New Member, Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC vs Susvara
Jan 18, 2020 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

justonwo

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I'm looking for a new set of headphones to complement my Focal Utopias. I'm primarily looking for something with a wider soundstage and perhaps a slightly different flavor than the Utopias. I've read quite a bit about both headphones but will not likely be able to audition the Abyss. They seem to be similar in their characteristics based on what I've read.

Whatever I get will be driven by at least one of the following (depending on where I am, home or work): Ayre Codex, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Auris Nirvana, and Hugo 2 TT with M Scaler.

The Abyss design looks like it could lead to fit issues, particularly when they recommend bending the aluminum if the fit isn't right (not that elegant a solution, if you ask me). But that may be a non-issue. I don't think I have a big or small head! :)

Jan 18, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 7
While the Abyss is not that uncomfortable it is meant to be used at a very stationary position as you can’t move around a lot while listening as they aren’t meant to actually clamp on your head as the pads should just touch and not clamp. The Susvara is a very good headphone but still like the Abyss myself more. Haven’t heard them on your gear so can’t really say for sure how well they would be run. I have heard the Codex and TT with M Scaler but not with the Abyss and the later is fantastic I must say. I run them from a Audio GD Master 9 or a Cavalli Liquid Carbon from a Yggdrasil and just love them and in a pinch my HiBy R6 Pro doesn’t do too bad a job either.

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, I figured looking at the design that it's really meant for pretty static listening. Those headphones aren't going to win any beauty pageants, but I assume one forgets that once they're on your head!

I contacted Abyss about getting their "Complete" version with the Superconductor cables terminated in dual 3.5 mm balanced cables (compatible with my QX-5 and Codex), but they didn't like the idea. They explained that headphone amps capable of driving their headphones were more likely to come with dual XLR inputs and that 3.5 mm connectors were more prone to damage the amp/headphones while inserting them or removing them.

This is news to me, though that's not very surprising given how new I am to this stuff. They didn't downright refuse to make the cable, but they were very much opposed . . . not even an adapter. I contacted Ayre earlier in the week and they said both the Codex and QX-5 Twenty have more than enough power to run the Abyss headphones. I can certainly see the concern with 3.5 mm cables shorting during insertion or removal, but I guess I don't understand how that's any worse than a 1/4" jack or ripping at an XLR connection that won't release. Looking around at various headphone amps, I guess I don't see the universality of dual 3 pin XLR cables that they're talking about.

Not a big deal, but it would seem that if you want to shell out a lot of money on a high end cable, you would want the adapter to be made with the same material. I can still use the 1/4" jack with the Codex and QX-5, but I'd prefer not to be limited to that.

Buke9, those look like super cool amps!

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Personally l have always hated 3.5mm plugs in all applications. Seems to me the mini XLR is a huge win. XLR has been used in studio and sound reinforcement/PA (i.e. concerts) for decades because it's tough. That said, the Rean mini XLR connectors I got with a new pair of LCD-3 have proven to be a nightmare for me and I asked for a replacement cable with the old release buttons. In general mini XLR work well. Avoid Rean with the rectangular release buttons!

A lot of good headphones are running mini XLR nowadays. Sennheiser picked a bizarre connector for the 800/800S but at least they avoided the dreaded 3.5. As far as amps go, it's 1/4 inch or standard XLR (not mini). A lot of low-end amps have 3.5mm for IEMs but most mid-high end headphones don't bother shipping a cable with a 3.5mm connector. You're right, the 1/4 inch plug can short just like the smaller versions, but almost every device in the last 40 years (if not a lot more) comes with a 1/4 jack so it's kinda hard to fight it.

If you haven't listened to the 800S it might be a good idea to do so given soundstage is one of your priorities.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Its the 2022 response ……AB1266 needs power but I found the Susvara’s more of a challenge to drive. You can spend weeks or more trying to decide between these two Headphones and when you do, you will still be thinking about the one you did not pick. They both are that good!

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Its the 2022 response ……AB1266 needs power but I found the Susvara’s more of a challenge to drive. You can spend weeks or more trying to decide between these two Headphones and when you do, you will still be thinking about the one you did not pick. They both are that good!
You really are 1000% correct…………it drove me crazy for a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back