New Melvins!
Jan 11, 2007 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Relayer71

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone picked up the latest Melvins album, A Senile Animal?

It's excellent, definitely a must buy for fans and even for those curious.
It's probably their most accessible album thus far, yet retains their trademark "heaviness".

They have also added another drummer (and bassist, actually both are the band Big Business which I've never heard) and the sound is interesting.

I expected the 2-drummer collab to be more like King Crimson a few years ago but it's not the same. It's actually pretty cool (as if Dale Crover wasn't enough!) but only in terms of sound - the stereo seperation isn't extreme enough to hear each drummer TOO distinctively and both are playing similar parts with slight variations so it just sounds like one big fat drum kit. But it adds a nice depth and clarity to the overall sound, like you're right in front of the kit.

It's only in some places that they play distinctly different parts and play some interesting percussive bits, but only briefly.
Still it works out nicely.

This album is also a bit more "melodic" than the usual Melvins fare and has a lot of harmonies and "catchier" songwriting.

Still baffled these guys aren't bigger than they are. They're one of the few bands that have been together for 20 years who still manage to sound fresh and energetic after every release while still retaining most of their original sound. Not to mention they tour and release albums regularly.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 4
I'll have to check that out, thanks.

I listened to them more in their Ozma period, but the heaviosity got a bit sterile. Good to hear their focussing more on the song writing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back