new MD recorder recommendations?
Dec 6, 2002 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I have two Sony recorders (MZ-R50 and MZ-R55) and am thinking about making the jump to the smaller/better battery life MD recorders. I don't really like the new ones that use the AA battery (ruins the whole look of the recorder, IMHO), so I guess I'm looking at the N1, R909, R910, and possibly the new MZ-N10 (if I can swing the money-- BTW, I'm selling both the R50 and R55-- PM me if you're interested!)

I've had the R90 and R900 and wasn't too impressed with them, other than the build quality on the R900 seemed really sturdy.

I don't know if I will use the NetMD function that much, but it would be handy to have. I have seen the MZ-N10 and it looks just dreamy with the internal li-ion battery and really good battery life.

Any recommendations as to what I should be looking for, and what prices I should be paying?

thanks!
Josh
aka
appar111

Dec 6, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Consider sharp portables. To me nothing can beat them for md portables. You can check out the latest Sharps and see. I will check some and get back to you on this

D

Dec 7, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 13
Although I'm a Sony man, the new Sharp MD-DR7 seems to be quite a nice unit. It has a 1-bit digital amp and a healthy 8 mW (32 ohms) output, and looks soooo much like the famous MT831 recorder, IMHO.

For Sony units, the R909 and R910's are excellent (I have them both), and they are a definite improvement on the erstwhile R900. If you think you need Net MD, I can't give you much help. I've heard a fair amount of grumbles about the N1, though, besides the quirky OpenMG software that comes with it.

I wouldn't mind owning that MZ-R50, if I knew I could still get batteries for it.

Dec 7, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 13
SBG, I don't think not having a battery for that R50 is necessary.. You probably won't use it all that much as you own those small recorders.. If you're anything like me, that R50 will gather dust like my R37 did when I had a working E900.

I'm still after an R30.

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dudlew
Consider sharp portables. To me nothing can beat them for md portables. You can check out the latest Sharps and see. I will check some and get back to you on this

D

I'll second that. I had an MZ-R-50, and it fell apart within a year (as all sony products do)

My old 821 stomped all over it in build and sound quality.

Dec 7, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 13
If NetMD is not vital to you then go for the R910, there's no reason to go for an R909.

Now, if you'd like to have NetMD (quite handy for titling, moving, grouping) I'd advise you to get either the N1 or N10. The N10 can be had for 369$ including shipping from HK and with a World Adapter (actually it's a World Model I believe) right here: http://home.i-cable.com/francistung/.../sony/n10.htm.

I've dealt with Francis before and I can vouch for his responsabilty. Emails are answered fast and he's very corteous.

Regards,

Dec 7, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I'll second that. I had an MZ-R-50, and it fell apart within a year (as all sony products do)

My old 821 stomped all over it in build and sound quality.

Rofl, you had a bad unit
frown.gif

The MZ-R50 is considered one of the best built portable MDs of all time! The Sharp 821 is also one of the goodies. People have working R50s still, a lot of people.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 13
appar111, it depends on what you really want right now.

first of all, the most important need in an md recorder is good encoding chip for you to get the most out of digital recording and sound quality.

the best encoding codec out there is firmly gripped by sony. the "type-r" - which the sony recorders from the r900 to the present units have.
second will be panasonic's H.D.E.S. codec which Leon can highly recommend.

as for the playback side and sound reproduction, i would lay my money on sharp. i would suggest the new dr7. the only md recorder that has digital amp (1bit) and has 8mW per channel
eek.gif

Dec 8, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by okinawa_joe
I've dealt with Francis before and I can vouch for his responsabilty. Emails are answered fast and he's very corteous.

I second that endorsement: Francis is the best. He's also not adverse to price-matching if your source is legitimate.

I already own an MZ-N1. For that reason, I'd pick up a DR-7 or DS-8 (though the latter doesn't record).

Dec 8, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
If you think you need Net MD, I can't give you much help. I've heard a fair amount of grumbles about the N1, though, besides the quirky OpenMG software that comes with it.

Exactly. My N1 didn't even last 6 months before it died. The DR7 will be release in a little over 2 days...anybody definitley going to pick one up?

Dec 9, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Sharp. No contest with the DR7.
To expensive? Then look at the Sharp MT170/180/190/200, or the late flagship, the MT770.
Failing Sharp, look at Panasonic. The MR220 can be had for cheap, and the newer MR230 and MR250 are excellent.

Tina, the R909 was the first to have Type-R.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 13
If you like Dolby Headphone ---

The Sharp MD-MT200 recorder/player includes the Dolby Headphone system. I have had it for a month and I love it.

For a bargain, I think they were selling an open box model for 189.99 at www.minidisco.com.

Check it out.

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back