New MD portables showdown
Sep 7, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
tina,

Sony has made small remarks on many news releases for type-r/type-s equipments, that they are for recording/playback only.

The ATRAC info came from minidisc.org (check out the JA3ES interview) and a number of Japanese websites/discussion boards.

thanks...i'll check em out.

mystyler, please feel free to give your impressions as soon as you get it. i think you'll be happy with its encoding and playing your discs in your aiwa. you lucky dawg.

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
tina,

Sony has made small remarks on many news releases for type-r/type-s equipments, that they are for recording/playback only.

The ATRAC info came from minidisc.org (check out the JA3ES interview) and a number of Japanese websites/discussion boards.

thanks...i'll check em out.

mystyler, please feel free to give your impressions as soon as you get it. i think you'll be happy with its encoding and playing your discs in your aiwa. you lucky dawg.

Sep 8, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #33 of 46
I'll be getting an N10 soon (dec/jan), a gf's heading over to japan.. She's collecting MDs, I think its a couple of N1s, maybe an MZ N910 (SONY, MAKE MAC SOFTWARE), and a DE955 in electric blue. And an N10 for me
biggrin.gif

Not all of them are for her use of course (but she gets to play with em all the same)..
I'm interested in how these pre defined presets (as opposed to user defined) are going to sound..

All will be revealed soon, so long as it doesn't fall out of the plane on the way back!

BTW, friendly faces out there, if you didn't recognise me by now, i'm 'me', one of the misguided individuals who thought Type S was on the encoding side of things..

Sep 8, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #36 of 46
Not allowed a name shorter than 3 characters...
mad.gif
mad.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
NOT ME!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Why didn't you use "me" as your user name?

(Just to throw this thread completely off topic)

Sep 9, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #37 of 46
More pictures from the N10/E10 product launch:

http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/artic...38326-000.html

Towards the bottom of the page, Check out
- pictures of the MZ-1 and the N1 taken apart. Sony says there are 1454 parts in the MZ-1, and "only" 606 in the N1.
- The MDP mockup that Norio Ohga had in his hand on 15 May, 1990, Sony's announcement for the MD format. The mockup was made that month; the wooden "ultimate-size" MDP mockup was made in June. For some reason, the reporter from the other website didn't cover this one
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #38 of 46
"me"? omg!!!!! welcome to head-fi. you'll love this place. leon for one is an md guru.
leon, thanks for this link. i'll share it with friends. plus if you won't mind, i'll quote your "guru words of wisdom" my lord.
anyway, that's all i do
biggrin.gif
. mystyler and me knows. leon, please don't charge me copyright penalties.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 46
All right, Tuesday is the official release date for the Sharp DS8, but it has apparently been available since Monday (or before?). Yodobashi is asking 27,800 yen for the player.

There's one review by a relatively famous guy who has contributed to the MD community. I think his points are the most pertinent for Head-Fiers, so I'm going to post them. However, he's stopped updating his website, and I'm going to choose not to disclose who he is, so that none of you start e-mailing him :p

Well, if you follow the hints you'll probably find out, but please, don't bother him.

Comments on the DS8:
Very "delicate" sound, more separation not just between channels but for individual instruments too. Cymbals, for instance, that might be muffled on another portable stands out on the DS8. The player isn't strong on oomph but there's such a sense of space, and that's remarkable. There's more separation compared to the Sony JB940 and the Kenwood 9090 decks.

The supplied earbuds are the usual (i.e. excretion) quality, and it's worth using your own quality headphones because that will more than cover up for not having the 4-conductor wiring. The above comments are made with a pair of Sony MDR-Z900s.
(end of comment)

Tidbit: At the Sony Dream World fair (it's a fair for everything Sony - banking insurance music games and the 35m long Vaio sign), the E10 put on display was not a working prototype. People who were hoping to try it out were obviously disappointed.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back