New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well)
Nov 23, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 140

As far as I know they will be using their advanced switch-mode power supply for both versions of the X-Server, paired with the new ESS ES9311Q ultra low noise linear regulators. There may be a "trend" towards external linear power supplies but that doesn't mean there can't be other worthwhile solutions. Ask John Franks of Chord why they use switching power supplies in their $35,000+ SPM6000+ monoblock amplifiers. 

Thanks for pointing this out. I agree that implementation is always the key; a great smps can be better than an LPS. And, hopefully supercaps will be another direction. 

Just got word about the X-Server being delayed a bit. Apparently Matrix wants to focus on production of the new X-Sabre Pro, so the X-Server will not be available until probably March of 2017. Who knows what sort of changes may or may not happen during that time frame.... I keep telling them to work on keeping the price low so we'll see if they take my word for it. 

That's disappointing as I'm really seeking the next step for my gear and believe the server component is critical and a move away from a mac mini with Audirvana. Hopefully, it will still be a knockout product. Thanks for the update. 

The X-Sabre Pro seems to be the main topic of discussion at this point. Which is interesting because I have no experience with it. But I can speculate based on what I hear from the DAC section of the X-Server prototype - the X-Sabre Pro should be REALLY impressive.

Well, you've done all this work listening to the X-Server prototype. I would have hoped Matrix would send you an X-Sabre Pro for review before they released it. 
Thanks again for all the updates. I'll be following this thread. And, Happy Thanksgiving! 

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #32 of 140
  UPDATED INFO!

Just got word about the X-Server being delayed a bit. Apparently Matrix wants to focus on production of the new X-Sabre Pro, so the X-Server will not be available until probably March of 2017. Who knows what sort of changes may or may not happen during that time frame.... I keep telling them to work on keeping the price low so we'll see if they take my word for it. 

The X-Sabre Pro seems to be the main topic of discussion at this point. Which is interesting because I have no experience with it. But I can speculate based on what I hear from the DAC section of the X-Server prototype - the X-Sabre Pro should be REALLY impressive.

It will be priced at $1699 with pre-order pricing at $1399 shipped. Unlike what I thought earlier, this actually applies to North America and everywhere else in the world except China and South Korea. So, for everyone not in those two places, order from Matrix HERE and save the $300.

There will only be 100 units available at this discount. 80 in black and 20 in silver. Ordering starts now and will go until Christmas or until all the units are gone... whichever comes first. After that you can still order but will pay the full $1699. I'm told that most pre-orders should arrive by Christmas but if not then early January. Obviously if you do a pre-order on December 22 it won't make Christmas so plan accordingly. 

thx much for all the infos!

this is very tempting! Do you think there would be any chance of implementing aptx Bluetooth in the Matrix X-Sabre Pro just like the mini i pro 2?

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 140
  Thanks for pointing this out. I agree that implementation is always the key; a great smps can be better than an LPS. And, hopefully supercaps will be another direction. 

That's disappointing as I'm really seeking the next step for my gear and believe the server component is critical and a move away from a mac mini with Audirvana. Hopefully, it will still be a knockout product. Thanks for the update. 

Well, you've done all this work listening to the X-Server prototype. I would have hoped Matrix would send you an X-Sabre Pro for review before they released it. 
Thanks again for all the updates. I'll be following this thread. And, Happy Thanksgiving! 

I really am impressed with what they have done so far. I also hear the Euphony developers may be able to enable Roon Core functionality which would be even better than the current Endpoint option. You could run Roon directly from the X-Server and stream to other rooms or even to your phone while you work in the yard, or whatever. Very versatile, I hope they pull it off.

As for a review..... I'd love to if I had the time. I'm so backed up as it is though, no way I can take on another device. Plus it would be nice to get other perspectives besides my own.

thx much for all the infos!

this is very tempting! Do you think there would be any chance of implementing aptx Bluetooth in the Matrix X-Sabre Pro just like the mini i pro 2?

It sounds to me like they are done, and everything on the design is finalized. Besides, it seems a waste to use such a high-end DAC for lossy streaming. Better to stick with the Mini i version at that point, no?

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #35 of 140
Highly doubtful as Bluetooth isn't a lossless or bit perfect transport. Kinda defeats the purpose of using such a TOTL dac chip.

It sounds to me like they are done, and everything on the design is finalized. Besides, it seems a waste to use such a high-end DAC for lossy streaming. Better to stick with the Mini i version at that point, no?

Hmm, putting it that way, makes sense!

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #37 of 140
Wow, what a fascinating and exciting read this thread is.
tongue_smile.gif
 Computer audio is evolving quickly. My 3 year old system design is rapidly becoming a dinosaur.........or at least an endangered species. I'm very interested in both the new X-Sabre Pro chip and the Euphony OS/player software. I'll be tuned in to this thread.

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #38 of 140
I am really digging the design of the X-Sabre Pro dac, maybe they will use the same case for a base model X-Server that just stores/streams audio files and makes a nice stack setup with the X-Sabre Pro. That would get my money on the table...

I am very tempted to pre-order the X-Sabre Pro, but not sure I could get myself to pull the trigger without at least a few early impressions from folks who can speak to how it performs relative to the Yggy

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #39 of 140
If I didn't already have my Violectric DAC V850, I'd be all for trying either of these. The specs are just nuts compared to all of the competition out there.

I don't have any SACD's, but if you do... DSD64 through DSD1024. It can also playback PCM 32/768! It appears to have the lowest distortion figures and most dynamic range of any DAC ever made. Latest xmos chip. Femtosecond (one quadrillionth of one second) clock for jitter reduction. Then there's the complete lack of noise from the oscillators and LDO implementation. Bonus complimentary remote control if you don't sit right next to your setup. Windows software will allow you to adjust the filter settings being used (I like that a lot about my V850). Even more features on the product page that I haven't mentioned.

Makes me wonder what the end result sounds like. There's simply a lot of improvement in terms of technical performance behind it compared to the original X-Sabre. Would I be able to hear a difference A/B from my V850 to the X-Sabre Pro? Only one way to find out... lol.

Indeed, the original X-Sabre was a solid (no pun intended) DAC that was very competitive at its price. This thing is a whole other animal, lots of theoretical improvement that hopefully translates to better sound. The tough part is that it's not so easy to improve once you are already at pretty high level (which the original X-Sabre is). So we'll see. 

Wow, what a fascinating and exciting read this thread is.
tongue_smile.gif
 Computer audio is evolving quickly. My 3 year old system design is rapidly becoming a dinosaur.........or at least an endangered species. I'm very interested in both the new X-Sabre Pro chip and the Euphony OS/player software. I'll be tuned in to this thread.

Older systems can still sound great but I find it's the capabilities that are really expanding, at least as much as the SQ. Roon is amazing, and Euphony is also very easy to interact with. Much better than something using the standard MPD control apps. 

I am really digging the design of the X-Sabre Pro dac, maybe they will use the same case for a base model X-Server that just stores/streams audio files and makes a nice stack setup with the X-Sabre Pro. That would get my money on the table...

I am very tempted to pre-order the X-Sabre Pro, but not sure I could get myself to pull the trigger without at least a few early impressions from folks who can speak to how it performs relative to the Yggy

I've been trying to tell Matrix this as well. The combined unit is great, but a stand alone server makes total sense as well. Hopefully they listen.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #40 of 140
Any early impressions on the X-Sabre Pro as of yet???  I am really tempted to pull the trigger on the pre-order but it sure would be nice to know how the Matrix team has voiced/implemented their new DAC. Same personality as the original? Deeper/Stronger Bass? (Yes, please) More towards neutral or more towards the warm side? Imaging, detail.. I am really interested in hearing from anyone who has heard the implementation even if from the X-Server assuming there will be significant similarities...

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #43 of 140
very good news Bro.

2017 seems liike a new dac evolution year many wil come
i just wait to see which one is better between ESS SABRE 9038 OR AKM 4497
also ther eis some info about new hugo 2 from chord

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #44 of 140
Well I couldn't wait so I pulled the trigger on the pre-order. Now I wait to see if my confidence in this decision grows or if it plunges into the ground :)

I haven't heard nearly enough DACs, so just going by what I have read across many forums and how I interpret comments and consider the person behind the opinions, I feel like I understand the difference between the Gumby and the Yggy (and I have heard the Yggy), and have a sense for how the Chord Mojo and Hugo sound. I am hoping the X-Sabre Pro has a personality closer to the Mojo and resolution closer to the Yggy. I know those are all DACs with a very different technical approach from the more conventional ESS based X-Sabre Pro, but there are traits I kind of like from the better ESS DACs I have heard a few generations ago so I am kind of hoping for some of the best of both worlds here with the latest and greatest from ESS and a best case engineering effort from the folks at Matrix Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back