New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well)
Nov 9, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 140
  Thank you for the sneak peak into the X Server. This seems like a potentially great product. Please answer a few follow-up questions. 

Music Players
Which ones are compatible? Which ones sound best with the X Server? I know Roon requires a NAS or computer to create a Roon Server. Do any of the other X Server compatible music players require this configuration? From what I’ve read, Roon does not provide the best sound quality AS A MUSIC PLAYER, though I've read it's great for music library management. 

Euphony OS
Is the Euphony OS on an SD card, an SSD?
Is Euphony strictly an OS or OS + Music Player? 
Do you have a link to further info. regarding Euphony?
EDIT: I found the Euphony website. I think you can plug an SSD (pre-loaded with Euphony OS) into ANY PC (???)
and run it. The site suggests that you should put all your music files on the SSD, but that's limiting if you have 4 tb of files. 

Does Euphony play from MEMORY? 

Remote control
Does X Server require a NAS or router/switch in order to use a remote (via tablet, phone, etc.)?
Or, does the remote tie-in directly with the Matrix X Server?

Volume Control
Does the X Server have built-in pre-amp (volume control) functionality? And, if so, how good is the volume control? 

Digital outputs
Are you implying the X Server usb output sounds better than the usb outputs of other transports? And, what about the AES output?  

USB Ports
Are the usb ports usb 3.0 or the newer usb “C?

Thank you! 

Let's take this line by line.

1) Not sure I understand the question completely but I think thus far Euphony has the best sound, followed by Roon which is still very VERY good. The difference is one of those "critical listening on a quiet night, with my best recordings, using my best gear" type of things. Roon is more than suitable for me in most cases. I don't use HQPlayer so I haven't tested that mode and probably won't.

I don't think you quite "get" Roon yet though. Read up on it and you'll see how some parts of this question don't quite make sense.

2) Euphony lives on an Msata card on the motherboard. Or at least it does with this prototype. The Euphony guys have talked about the ideal solution being a huge 1TB or 2TB NVMe SSD holding the OS plus the music library, but that's some futuristic stuff at the moment. Euphony is the OS, it's a variant of Linux built specifically for audio use. So it is also the player. You can check out their page HERE. Eventually they intend to sell drives with the OS loaded so you can build your own setup. 

3) Euphony requires some way of controlling playback. Which would be a tablet, phone, or another computer on the same network as the Euphony system. No NAS necessary, that's a whole different thing relating to storage. But yes, you'll need a wireless router which most people already have. Or I guess a wired connection if you want to use a desktop PC to control it, but that's a weird setup. The X-Server does not accept direct WiFi or Bluetooth connections for control, if that's what you are asking.

4) There is no built in volume control for the X-Server. The next stand-alone X-Sabre DAC may or may not have that, but the version built into the X-Server does not.

5) X-Server USB out sounds excellent. Better than my laptop running JPLAY and connecting via USB to the same DAC. Better than the little SOtM sMS200 as well, though the differences get smaller in that case because the SOtM is pretty damn good. The AES/EBU output also sounds excellent, though I don't have another transport with that same format at the moment for direct comparison. But comparing an Oppo 105 via coaxial out, I like the X-server better, whether the Matrix uses USB or coax or whatever. Again, the difference between a good transport like the Oppo and a really good transport like the X-Server is not always obvious. 

6)USB ports on the prototype are normal 3.0 variety. Not sure if they will go with 3.1 or C on the final version. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #17 of 140
This seems like a very timely product, network music players with built in dacs seem to be trending.. auralic has that altair and naim has the uniti atom.  I like that it's intel based.. seems more future proof with more cpu power and intel stuff seems easier to update with less proprietary drivers for the manufacturer to deal with

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 140
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I guess they wont have bluetooth option on the new x-sabre!! I was hoping they would implement it.

Im using the Mini-i Pro 2 and the bluetooth option is so convenient for a hassle free stereo setup, simple and surprisingly good sound quality. I would have loved to see a higher end dac with wireless playback though.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 140
btw, the X-Sabre Pro (X-Sabre 2) will have to flagship ES9038PRO and not the ES9028 ! I think they updated their website today!!

Thats some pretty awesome news.

Well well, im starting to get an itch

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #20 of 140
Good news! Looks like the were able to correctly position the left and right XLR outputs in the back.

It was always bizarre for me how they weren't on their appropriate sides.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 140
  Good news! Looks like the were able to correctly position the left and right XLR outputs in the back.

It was always bizarre for me how they weren't on their appropriate sides.

wow i never even realized that!!!! LOL

I used to have the X-Sabre and i dont recall having an issue with that! although, could it be just a error on the labeling and not on the actual circuit?

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #22 of 140

wow i never even realized that!!!! LOL

I used to have the X-Sabre and i dont recall having an issue with that! although, could it be just a error on the labeling and not on the actual circuit?

Dude honestly you killed me with that question.

I actually have it plugged in right now and am going to compare it with regular earphones through the computer and see if it's just wrong labeling. There's some songs that split up certain voices or instruments in left/right channels so i'll find out that way.

This is madness!

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #23 of 140
Dude honestly you killed me with that question.

I actually have it plugged in right now and am going to compare it with regular earphones through the computer and see if it's just wrong labeling. There's some songs that split up certain voices or instruments in left/right channels so i'll find out that way.

This is madness!

LOL

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #24 of 140
Just tested them through windows sound and they indeed are labeled correctly. For awhile I disliked how my XLR cables would intersect one another because of it.

Glad the new X-Sabre Pro doesn't have this issue. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 140
Just tested them through windows sound and they indeed are labeled correctly. For awhile I disliked how my XLR cables would intersect one another because of it.

Glad the new X-Sabre Pro doesn't have this issue. 

Haha cool stuff!

The new X-sabre Pro sure looks really interesting! I wonder how it would compare to the original X-Sabre!!! I do miss it sometime

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #26 of 140
I'm very keen on how well the new one performs.

One thing that made me upgrade from my X-Sabre was the slight electronic sound that it had. Don't get me wrong, it's not really audible when all you've had were mid range DAC's like this one, but upgrading to ones in the $2k range, this thing sounds less natural in comparison and not as well extended.

Something I really liked was that it brought me very close to the music compared to many DAC's that are more stage present like the Yggdrasil. It sounded more studio like than stage like. Very 3D sound and emphasis to the midrange and instruments. For this little piece of equipment, It made a clear improvement over the Schiit Gungnir I had in the past. That one was more balanced thoughout the frequency spectrum so nothing really shined. Compared to this, it sounded slightly veil.

I wonder how this fairs against something like the Gungnir Multibit though. For me, Gungnir just didn't have the resolution or clarity that DAC's with ESS9018 has, and I say that because I've tried a lot of them for that matter like Audio-gd, Yulong, Matrix, and Gustard, Burson, etc.

What DAC are you using now? @18inch

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #27 of 140
I'm very keen on how well the new one performs.

One thing that made me upgrade from my X-Sabre was the slight electronic sound that it had. Don't get me wrong, it's not really audible when all you've had were mid range DAC's like this one, but upgrading to ones in the $2k range, this thing sounds less natural in comparison and not as well extended.

Something I really liked was that it brought me very close to the music compared to many DAC's that are more stage present like the Yggdrasil. It sounded more studio like than stage like. Very 3D sound and emphasis to the midrange and instruments. For this little piece of equipment, It made a clear improvement over the Schiit Gungnir I had in the past. That one was more balanced thoughout the frequency spectrum so nothing really shined. Compared to this, it sounded slightly veil.

I wonder how this fairs against something like the Gungnir Multibit though. For me, Gungnir just didn't have the resolution or clarity that DAC's with ESS9018 has, and I say that because I've tried a lot of them for that matter like Audio-gd, Yulong, Matrix, and Gustard, Burson, etc.

What DAC are you using now? @18inch

Yea i agree! It was a great Dac, when i first got it i was blown away! Although i upgraded from a soundblaster sound card! Lol, but now im using the Burson Virtuoso V2+ and its a clear step up from X-Sabre even though they both use the 9018! The Burson sounds much more alive and lifelike, and more extention, in comparision the X-Sabre sounds kind of dead!! Still very good and very detailed though, i mean the X-Sabre have better texture and depth than the Matrix Mini I Pro 2 (9016s) that i use also for when i just want to connect my phone through bluetooth !

Basically, when we speak about detail and accuracy , both x-sabre and burson are very similar, but somehow the Burson lot more addicting, simply pulls you in the music so much more, much more involving and tasty! Plus it has a headphone jack with 8watts amp, not that i need it but always good to have ! Lol

Now im wondering if the new 9038pro could really change the sound!

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #28 of 140
Thank you Project86 for your prior answers in this thread. 

Is there any word yet on the X-Server being powered by a DC input? There's a clear movement toward external power supplies, and particularly linear power supplies. My main interest in the X-Server is as a server, not a dac. However, it's possible that if the entire chain of files/file server/dac is all via an LPS, then this could really raise the level to a powerful all in one solution. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #29 of 140
I've been swamped with "day job" stuff and haven't had time to keep this thread updated. Looks like everyone already knows Matrix changed over from X-Sabre 2 to X-Sabre Pro. It uses the ES9038Pro DAC and was designed with direct assistance from ESS themselves. So it should really be something. 

I believe the X-Sabre Pro will be priced around $1700, and there will almost certainly be some pre-order discounts available for those of us in the USA. Should have more info on that soon enough.

As far as X-Server goes, Matrix is now thinking of doing two versions - one like the prototype I have here, using ES9028Pro, and an upgraded model using the ES9038Pro. That upgraded X-Server should be like having an X-Sabre Pro DAC minus the volume control capabilities. Which means the "regular" version has an internal DAC that doesn't have a corresponding stand-alone product available at the moment. Maybe down the road though, we'll see. Also they might one day introduce a stand-alone server without a DAC on board. Depends on demand I guess, but for me that's the one I'd want to buy most of all.

Pricing on the X-Server "base" and X-Server Pro will be more than I initially thought. Looks like they are shooting for around $3K for the base model with 2TB storage, and $3600 for the Pro with 4TB. That's still a really good value compared to a lot of other options out there, but not quite the runaway deal I initially hoped. On the up side, pre-order discounts should be fairly substantial. Again, for those of us in the USA only. I'll keep you posted as soon as I know the exact numbers.

Despite the price being a bit higher than expected, I'm still VERY impressed with the X-Server based on my experience with the prototype. I have half a dozen competing devices here at the moment and the X-Server is among the cheapest in price yet among the best in performance overall. 

Quote:
  Thank you Project86 for your prior answers in this thread. 

Is there any word yet on the X-Server being powered by a DC input? There's a clear movement toward external power supplies, and particularly linear power supplies. My main interest in the X-Server is as a server, not a dac. However, it's possible that if the entire chain of files/file server/dac is all via an LPS, then this could really raise the level to a powerful all in one solution. 

As far as I know they will be using their advanced switch-mode power supply for both versions of the X-Server, paired with the new ESS ES9311Q ultra low noise linear regulators. There may be a "trend" towards external linear power supplies but that doesn't mean there can't be other worthwhile solutions. Ask John Franks of Chord why they use switching power supplies in their $35,000+ SPM6000+ monoblock amplifiers. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #30 of 140
UPDATED INFO!

Just got word about the X-Server being delayed a bit. Apparently Matrix wants to focus on production of the new X-Sabre Pro, so the X-Server will not be available until probably March of 2017. Who knows what sort of changes may or may not happen during that time frame.... I keep telling them to work on keeping the price low so we'll see if they take my word for it. 

The X-Sabre Pro seems to be the main topic of discussion at this point. Which is interesting because I have no experience with it. But I can speculate based on what I hear from the DAC section of the X-Server prototype - the X-Sabre Pro should be REALLY impressive.

It will be priced at $1699 with pre-order pricing at $1399 shipped. Unlike what I thought earlier, this actually applies to North America and everywhere else in the world except China and South Korea. So, for everyone not in those two places, order from Matrix HERE and save the $300.

There will only be 100 units available at this discount. 80 in black and 20 in silver. Ordering starts now and will go until Christmas or until all the units are gone... whichever comes first. After that you can still order but will pay the full $1699. I'm told that most pre-orders should arrive by Christmas but if not then early January. Obviously if you do a pre-order on December 22 it won't make Christmas so plan accordingly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back