New Marantz SA8005 - WINDOWS DRIVER BROKEN!
Feb 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

amham

100+ Head-Fier
Replacement for SA8004 is now released.  Any initial comments?  I'm waiting for mine to arrive next week.  Seems they updated the USB to async, added DSD decode and a few other enhancement.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 30
This  component does not support multi channel SACD. The OPPO 105 supports multi channel through analog output for  the same money. If it's not for multi channel, what's the point in SACD today? Most studies say that even though the specs on SACD are better than those of CD, the specs  do not translate to hearing better. At any rate, you may want to look into the OPPO, as well as the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. These will play all SACD's you have in your library. The Sony processes CD's in a manner that some reviewers say will reveal more detail than what you have likely heard from your CD's. The Sony delivers multi channel only over HDMI, so, you will need a HDMI DSD converter, such as found on today's pre/pro's and home theatre receivers.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 30
  This  component does not support multi channel SACD. The OPPO 105 supports multi channel through analog output for  the same money. If it's not for multi channel, what's the point in SACD today? Most studies say that even though the specs on SACD are better than those of CD, the specs  do not translate to hearing better. At any rate, you may want to look into the OPPO, as well as the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. These will play all SACD's you have in your library. The Sony processes CD's in a manner that some reviewers say will reveal more detail than what you have likely heard from your CD's. The Sony delivers multi channel only over HDMI, so, you will need a HDMI DSD converter, such as found on today's pre/pro's and home theatre receivers.

Yes, you are correct however, I am a 2 channel stereo listener only.  My preference is 100% headphone and I appreciate the differences in DAC SQ with matching differing amplifiers including solid state, tube, balanced, cabling etc.  I would not use the video functionality although I can understand that the added functionality is available at about the same price.  I have used the Marantz series 8003, 8004 and now am curious about the 8005.  Marantz makes a quality product (generally, they had problems with the 8003).  My music library is CD, SACD, hi-rez downloads and this product fits in nicely.  I also enjoy several streaming audio service including Pandora and MOG (about to be replaced by Beats...well see if this is equivalent) and the Marantz decodes them nicely.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 30
Received the SA8005.  Major problem, the high speed/resolution USB driver fails installation.  Tried install on 3 different Windows 7 64 bit
PC's...all fail.  Using USB 1.1/.2.0 NOT USB3.0 which is often the problem with drivers.  Tried to contact Marantz customer support but, of course, the rep had no idea what I was talking about...most likely a contract service with the tech knowledge of "did you plug it in"?. Tried to call Marantz corporate tech support in NJ but closed today due to weather...continuing.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 30
Contacted Marantz HQ in NJ.  Their Tier 3 technical support confirms driver FAULTY.  They attempted numerous installs on Win 7 PC and, yes, it is NG just as my experience.  Seems the Windows USB portion of the driver is at fault while the SA8005 component is OK.  They are referring problem to Japan and I hope to have a resolution within a month.  Hard to believe that no one ever tested this before they released product!

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 30
Not hard to believe. companies today use early adopters of their products to actually discern problems before full production. It's why I don't buy anything that has just come out on the market.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 30
No fix yet, spoke with Marantz and they claim it works...NO WAY!!!

I've tried 4 completely DIFFERENT Windows 7 machines with different software installed and the SAME PROBLEM exists on all.  Code 10 driver failure.  Marantz, FIX THIS DRIVER!!!!

BTW, my MACs work 100% so I do not think it is a hardware issue...IT IS THE DRIVER!!!!!!!!

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 30
Having the same problem, been trying windows vista, win7, win8. same problen on everyone
Have been trying to Contact Marantz, but they only sending me around without giving me any answers
Hope to read something positive in here soon.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 30
I just bought mine from AA and have the same problem, I have tried it on a Win 7 64bit pro pc with no luck & a win 8 laptop with no luck and using 4 different cables.

The say the mac need's no driver so a friend brought over his mac air newer computer and in sounds we could see it listed once it was plugged in & could switch to it but no sounds, when I look down at the sa8005's screen it was flashing "Unsupported" :frowning2:

just got it Saturday so I may return it soon :frowning2:

Darryl

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 30
  I just bought mine from AA and have the same problem, I have tried it on a Win 7 64bit pro pc with no luck & a win 8 laptop with no luck and using 4 different cables.

The say the mac need's no driver so a friend brought over his mac air newer computer and in sounds we could see it listed once it was plugged in & could switch to it but no sounds, when I look down at the sa8005's screen it was flashing "Unsupported" :frowning2:

just got it Saturday so I may return it soon :frowning2:

Darryl

It works with the MAC, I tried all modes, 192k USB and DSD.  Make certain your MAC player is set-up correctly.  The problem is the Windows driver.  I have been in contact with Marantz and will follow up again Monday 2/17 and refer them to this thread as further proof.  Don't sent the machine back yet, I think the driver will be fixed.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 30
OK, I will hold out for better drivers then :)

the mac that we tried was a air book which  I'm sure had the latest os update. I really do not know anything about them but he did go into settings - sound and could see it listed and could select it but was weird how the sa8005 had a scrolling message saying not supported? but he couldn't figure out what was wrong....I know I'm not doing anything wrong on my PC as I have a couple of dac's and I know how to set them up and easily switch between them.

I did spend some time listening to my SACD's and even though I was using brand new kimber kables IC's, it was sounding pretty good :)

finding your post here sure made me feel so much better and not  so alone after finding it didn't work :)  I posted my problem on the polk forum also and will keep in touch here. This is the 1st time I have posted here as I've normally only come here to read!

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 30
I did write to Marantz in United Kingdom and complain,
They answer me this-~~First of all, Sorry for the apparent unresponsiveness. As the USB-Driver is fully Windows 8 compatible, I assume something went wrong with the installation. Please make sure the SA8005 is NOT connected when installing the driver. Otherwise Windows will link one of its own drivers to the SA8005 and will ignore the Marantz driver. So please try re-installing the correct driver (32 bit or 64 bit OS) and hook up your SA8005 when it has finished successfully. Hope this solved your issue.
I did write back and said it does not work.
Got this mail today
~~ Problem solved! I discovered that the wrong driver was made available for download on all our websites. Please find correct driver attached. We will try to upload the correct driver before the end of the day. I also discovered that after installing the new driver, it takes about 10 minutes before everything is recognized. Please have patience. Thank you for pointing out our mistake. Kind regards, Juul Gijsbers

I dont know if they have change the program yet on there homesite, but in the mail he did sending me a file with a program that work
Hope it will work for you too !
Mats from Sweden

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 30
Great news!

Do you have a link to the updated driver you can post?

Thanks!

I called the President of D&M Holdings (parent company of Marantz USA) to further complain that no one has replied to my repeated requests and left a message with his assistant.

Let's see if he replies.

In the interim, hope to have a copy of that working driver.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 30
Here is the resolution to the problem.

mpcat was kind enough to send me the CORRECTED driver he received from Marantz UK and it

WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, a resolution to the faulty driver still posted on the US and UK Marantz websites as of this date.

Still no response from Marantz USA even after many phone calls and emails, just denials or worse, not understanding the problem from their tier 1 customer support (sic).

Once again, thanks to mpcat for his assistance.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back