New Marantz Headphone amp/ DSD Dac/Preamp
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 6
looks good I'd like to know how it sounds, anyone try this dac yet..

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

copied the text from another thread:

Picked up this Marantz HD DAC1 last tuesday. Using this machine with headphones only directly to the Marantz (DT880 250 Ohm). So my impressions are not for the pre amp sound nor DAC only sound.
All I can say is WOW!!! I love it. My brain burned in in 5 minutes......I immediately was grabbed by the music and noticed that the "critical listening" what I usually do was almost gone instantly.

I auditioned quite a few dac/amps over the past couple of days.....Teac UD301, UD501, ifi micro iDSD, Ami dac DS5, Atoll HD 100, Cambridge DacMagic Plus. For my ears this Marantz was definitely the best of the bunch soundwise. Space, delicacy, punch, dynamics, details, weight. Sound finely balanced over the freq. spectrum.........this thing matches beautifully with the Beyerdynamic! 

In my home speaker set up I have an Audiolab 8200CDQ so in my search for a dedicated headphone setup I was looking for a unit that sounded at least better than the Audiolab. I can say this Marantz does the trick. I was surprised myself that I liked the Marantz because in the past I didn't like the Marantz sound as much. Too polite, friendly and warm was always on my mind when thinking about Marantz....but this HD DAC1 sounds wonderful to me (maybe my preferences in sound are changing, don't know).

I also noticed (like "thinker" mentioned in an earlier post) that my iPad directly connected to the front USB-port sounded incredible (even with the stock Apple cable). I think the iPad sounds even better than the same file from my computer (Mac Mini (Audirvana plus)--> Furutech Formula2 USB cable --> Marantz HD DAC1). Although I can't put my finger on it as to describe in what way....more involving maybe.
just my 2 cents....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back