new macbook pro connection to external dac
Apr 30, 2017 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

awsanderson

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a 2017 model macbook pro that only has the thunderbolt (I think that is what they are called) connections. I have USB converters for them and tried to hook up my Schitt Gungnir to the macbook pro via usb the macbook does not recognize the DAC. I have tried to select it as a sound option but it isn't even there. I have tried to plug it in while running and it won't recognize it and I have tried to start it up while it's plugged in. I know there is no problem with the DAC or cable because it works with my desktop PC. I am pretty new to Macs so maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks in advance for the help

Alvin

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 4
This is a Apple problem and you might go on some Apple forums to find the answer to the problem. My MAC is a 2010 but they have helped me with many things in the past. Apple doesn't need drivers to run Schiit stuff. I have a older MBP and with my Yggy via USB or optical it is always there. It could be the adapter don't know as I don't have Thunderbolt connection. My wife has Thunderbolt on her MBA but haven't tried it as I don't have a connector or the need.

May 4, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 4
I recently got a 2017 model macbook pro that only has the thunderbolt (I think that is what they are called) connections. I have USB converters for them and tried to hook up my Schitt Gungnir to the macbook pro via usb the macbook does not recognize the DAC. I have tried to select it as a sound option but it isn't even there. I have tried to plug it in while running and it won't recognize it and I have tried to start it up while it's plugged in. I know there is no problem with the DAC or cable because it works with my desktop PC. I am pretty new to Macs so maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks in advance for the help

Alvin
Perhaps the easiest way would be to use wifi. Apple TV and other devices will allow you to put a digital signal into your DAC. It also disconnects the noisy USB environment. Plus no wires needed. I've done this for years with Macbook, ipod, ipad.

May 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Perhaps the easiest way would be to use wifi. Apple TV and other devices will allow you to put a digital signal into your DAC. It also disconnects the noisy USB environment. Plus no wires needed. I've done this for years with Macbook, ipod, ipad.

thanks I'll give it a shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back