New Macbook Pro 13" connectivity
Apr 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bcwang

500+ Head-Fier
For mac owners, does the mac pro 13" (the one that was announced today) have an analog out and digital SPDIF out?

This is the description on the website and it seems like it doesn't. The 15" and 17" have a totally different description which looks more desirable, but I can't imagine the 13" being so different.

13" Audio:
"Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output), microphone, stereo speakers with subwoofers

15-17" Audio:
Audio line in minijack (digital/analog), audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog), microphone, stereo speakers with subwoofers

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 9
The 13" has a mini-toslink within the headphone/line in. So yes, you do have SPDIF out on the 13" Macbook pro.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 13" has a mini-toslink within the headphone/line in. So yes, you do have SPDIF out on the 13" Macbook pro.

Is there an analog line-out or headphone out then? It is described as a "headphone/line-in" which is quite odd. Is that like a jack that can be analog in or out switchable with a software setting?

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 9
If you want, you could head down to an Apple store and check it out.
And: Apparently the new macs are supposed to be coming out soon (better processors, and probably more) so I would wait a couple weeks to see if they announce anything.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently the new macs are supposed to be coming out soon (better processors, and probably more) so I would wait a couple weeks to see if they announce anything.

That's what the OP is asking about. They just announced them today.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 9
Stupid Apple, they are still advertising their iPad and leaving me out of the loop!

Going to have to tell my friend, he has been waiting for so long for the new Macbook Pro's.

I would suspect that the apple engineers would have made the switch from in to out and vice versa software based. Apple hates buttons
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an analog line-out or headphone out then? It is described as a "headphone/line-in" which is quite odd. Is that like a jack that can be analog in or out switchable with a software setting?

the same line is both: analog, but also toslink.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes, the jack in them is an analog in, analog out, and optical out. Might also be an optical in. Various laptops are installing these lately, to cut down on the real estate/wiring needed to add a second jack for the line-in. (lulz.)

By the way, the fact that a 17 inch MacBook running a dual core i7 (not even a quad core), nVidia 330m, 4gbs of ram, and a 500gb 5400 rpm harddrive would run me $2600 USD is a JOKE. You can get exactly that from another manufacturer for around $900-1200. WHY is it so damn expensive? Hackintosh all the way.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Ok, so I'm guessing now that means it can be analog in and out, and optical out. That is acceptable for my use. I'm not paying $600 more for the 15". $1200 is enough for my first mac. I'm sure hoping it's a pretty quiet computer when not under much load. With a 10 hour battery life it can't put out that much heat I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back