New Macbook & Macbook pro are out
Oct 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a big fan of glossy screens, while you can get improved contrast, they are glare city, or the AR coating is so aggressive you get a massive green or red shift when you view the screen from different angles.

As for dust creep, it's much more of an issue with portables, because the body gets flexed and stressed a lot more, and seals get compromised allowing dust to enter. Plus many laptops get stored in lint ridden enclosures known as bags.

-Ed

This page mentions that the glass has been bonded to the aluminum behind the screen for extra strength

link

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I'd never buy one, I secretly want Apple to make a Mac Tablet, so that Microsoft and OEM manufacturers would get a kick in the pants to push the envelope and innovate more. They were off to a great start, but they've been stagnant for the past 3 years.

Yeah, it's a shame TabletPC is stagnating/dying. The current crop of machines is sad (why did Lenovo remove the jog dial and lower the resolution of the ThinkPad X200???).

I think it's a market that will continue to decline though, especially now that the new Wacom Cintiq 12WX slices off a big chunk of the artist market. I'm not an artist and I'm thinking of getting a Cintiq just for document review. Hard to say if Apple would really want to dip its toe in this market.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... my old trusty iBook G3 just died (failed logic board)

I'm sorry for your loss. Mine has died on me twice, but has been fixed. Such nice computers. Not my main laptop though
wink.gif

Personally I don't like the glossy screens at all. And the lack of firewire is a punch in the face. For most people, I guess it does not matter.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #51 of 59
I prefer a single tone but when it's time to upgrade, I'll have no hesitation on the purchase. Someone will come out with a matte overlay I'm sure.

If Colorware didn't charge as much, I'd get that thing in pure black. I've seen their work and it's pure sex.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why's everyone complaining about the chassis, I think they look nice. All the white Macbooks I've seen have discoloured areas around the touchpad from peoples hands rubbing against them, now thats something that looks bad.

A good pencil eraser does the trick for cleaning off the touchpad etc, at least on my White iBook G4.

As for the new macbooks I was tempted, then realised no Firewire....no Firewire no upgrade. Not so hopeful on finding a bargain in the UK on the outgoing models, only seen small discounts so far.
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #53 of 59
As a photographer, a glossy screen is a big no-no!
Simply because there is no matt screen option, I will not even consider one.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is exactly why I bought my macbook pro a month ago, they had nowhere to go but down. The only thing that internally makes it better then the one I bought a month ago is the bigger HDD (I believe they also played with the way the processors work but I doubt that will do much). The solid construction looks like a good idea only the black keyboard makes it look so ugly, but it goes very well with the ugly black lining of the screen. I would not be able to use a glossy screen, they are terrible. I also think making the whole track pad a button is a bad idea, they also mentioned that they added muti touch features to their track pad but they had multi touch on the old track pads too. Oh well. At least I already got mine (and a free ipod touch for my brother)

I was looking at them yesterday at the Apple Store. They are truly impressive. The track pad is one of the best features. The entire pad is the button. You press down and you feel it move and acts like the old button. In addition, you can pinch it much like the iphone and increase/decrease font size, etc.

They block design of the frame allows for unmatched precesion in terms of everything fitting together perfectly (screen lid/chasis). I love them. However, not enough to trade in my 3 month old macbook for a new one. I'll wait a year or two.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As a photographer, wouldn't you be doing the majority of your editing on an external display anyway? Also, having a matte screen doesn't necessarily make it a colour accurate screen. In fact, even the Apple Cinema Displays aren't 100% colour accurate. If this is really of concern to you, I'd recommend an external display such as an Eizo or some of the NEC offerings for 100% colour accuracy. Or even just use a Spyder or other brand of colour calibration tools.

Which leaves the only problems with the glossy screens to be reflections. In which case, just buy a clear anti-glare film (which, no doubt, there will be a bunch on the market soon, third parties will want to cash in), or do your work in the shade.

This whole glossy vs matte debate stems from a giant misconception that has been blown way out of proportion.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by reemixx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This whole glossy vs matte debate stems from a giant misconception that has been blown way out of proportion.

No offense reemix, but as a photographer I refuse to use matt screens. They suck, plain and simple.

Oct 31, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Quote:

No offense reemix, but as a photographer I refuse to use matt screens. They suck, plain and simple.

No glossy and matt screen, what is left?

I was listening to a podcast and a professional photographer has no problem with the glossy screens on the Mac laptops- he suggested you just move the laptop a bit and problem solved.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No glossy and matt screen, what is left?

You caught my mistake. Obviously meant glossy.

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Eh, they're not bad. I installed CS4 on my mom's iMac and its glossy screen works just fine for photo editing. Perhaps the new Macbook screens are even glossier, but I can't see it being a real issue unless you work with many direct light sources nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back