New Loaner Program - Moon Neo 230 Headphone amp and DAC
Apr 23, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #31 of 40

I evaluated the Moon Neo 230HAD ($1500) using my 3 main headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Fostex TH-X00, & Philips X2, and compared/contrasted it against my Aune X1S (DAC/amp, $270), and then against my Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC paired with Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp ($950 combo).  I kept the Neo powered on the entire week, as suggested.

Sources: iTunes library (16/44 or higher) running through Amarra HiFi; Tidal streaming via Chrome; and via Amarra for Tidal (all via USB).  CD transport, via digital coaxial.

Starting with the Aune X1S - well, the Neo230 was just plain superior.  I’ve had no complaints about the Aune, and $270 is a very fair price for a well built, versatile DAC/amp with 192 and DSD.  But the Neo stomped it.  Neo sounded more realistic, purer, more natural, and with a superior soundstage.  

Big news for me, though, is that the Neo230 made the Fostex TH-X00 come alive.  I’ve wondered if my very competent DACs & amps were not exactly the right match for the X00.  I’ve enjoyed the Fostex, but they were in 3rd place out of 3 in this house.  With the Neo230, however, they jumped up to #1.  The Neo cleaned up and tightened the bass (was too bloomy before), and made it slam, and extend down to the basement.  The mids and treble came alive, too; they had been slightly reticent, until this amp.  The X00 became beautifully vivid, without any improper exaggeration.  I was so struck by this pairing that the X00 earned a disproportionate amount of head time. (The Neo has an output impedance of just 1.25 Ohm, so that may be part of its success with the 25 Ohm Fostex.)

I moved on to my other system, for a duel with the Schiit combination.

The X2 and HD600 also sounded excellent through the Neo230.  But I especially wanted to rotate the HD600 between the Neo230 and the Bimby/Valhalla 2 combo (I’ll call it Bimhalla), due to the famous synergy of the 600 with these particular Schiits.  I was rather astounded to find that the solid-state Neo was not only the equal driving this headphone, but perhaps slightly better in at least one area.  The Bimhalla showed just a bit of “hash” or “splash” in the HD600’s treble, which I had never really noticed before.  In contrast, the Neo’s treble was cleaner and clearer, by a small margin.  I anticipated that the wonder of multibit would put the Bimby in front, but it was not the case.  The imaging and sound-staging of the Neo was fully as good.  And there was a very slight difference in their bass.  The Bimhalla sounded just a little more “round” or “phat”.  The Neo was just a bit more solid and clear.  I won’t regret going back to the Bimhalla, which I still love, and it gives me 97% of the Neo sound quality.  But I’ll miss the Neo as I ship it to Chicago to the next person on the tour.

The Neo was the first headphone DAC/amp priced more than $1000 that I’ve auditioned in my home.  Therefore, at this time I cannot say how it would rank among its price peers - but I can definitely say I was impressed and pleased with its sound and performance.

Thank you to Todd/TTVJ for the loan.  And dang you, too - I didn’t want to covet another amp, but now I’m considering this one…

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #32 of 40
I began my audio journey with some JVC FXT90s. They were great. I never realized how involving and spectacular music could sound. Unfortunately they went south and I eventually purchased a pair of Sony XBX90EX. These lacked the finesse of the JVCs but they provided a bass that I didn't think I'd come to love. For $100 they were quite good. My friend's dog thought so too, sadly. I took a break from $100 headphones as at that point I lost 2 pairs within 1.5 years so my next purchases would be mostly budget-minded models such as the MEElectronics M9 and NuForce NE600X. :cool:

After some time went by, I just couldn't take it anymore. I needed something better. I was moving at this time and so I felt it opportune to invest in a 2.0 speaker system. I initially was looking for a sub $1k bookshelf pair but fortunately caught a crazily discounted pair of floorstanders at Frys--the Energy RC70s. Brand new for $460 a pair, I probably got (legally) the best audio bargain of the century. These speakers originally MSRPd for about $2000 around a decade ago and were still a bargain at that price. To accompany the speakers, I invested in a Denon X3100W receiver, which is what many might consider a lower midrange stereo receiver.

I was rather satisfied with this setup. My room was not the most acoustically friendly but I was immediately floored nonetheless. The Energy RC70s provided me with the best audio experience I have ever had. At night listening to Norah Jones the first time, I remember being startled when imagining myself being at a live performance. In the dark, it felt like I was truly there.

Sadly, I had to move again. This time though, I couldn't really use the speakers given my new housing setup so I knew at some point I would have to invest in some headphones. After a bit of research I purchased the highly touted Yamaha MT220s. For $200 I think they are a great bargain, though not as good as the Energy's were of course! These cans are rather neutral, impeccably detailed, and offer some nice subbass extension and bass-midbass punch. 

Because I wanted to be cool I decided to purchase a tube preamp/amplifier, which I found in the Feliks Espressivo per the recommendation of @inthere. Among many other headphones, he also has the MT220s and found it pairing nicely with the Espressivo.

Now the Espressivo was $320, which is rather entry level. Despite this, you get tremendous value and a nice sounding tube amp. I didn't feel like I needed a DAC with the MT220s as the iPhone has a rather remarkable chip. The MT220s also don't have much scaling opportunity, so I figured I wouldn't be missing out on much. In the back of my mind, however, I was always curious about more expensive kits. Would a $1500 AMP/DAC sound significantly better than my iPhone/Espressivo? If so, would I actually buy one?

Around this time, Todd had created a thread offering the Moon 230 for at-home trial. I knew I would be able to get my hands on a Fostex X00 as well, so I figured it would be a good time to participate. 

Review

The 230 is a rather fairly well-built unit with a reasonable amount of inputs in the back. I appreciate the departure from rigid design with a curved front panel. I like the simple input selector, but I'm not a fan of the bright blue LED. For $1500 I might expect this unit to be a bit more refined in design and finish, but it's more than acceptable. 

Now onto the test environment:

Test A
Source: iPhone 6 running Tidal Hi-Fi
Headphones: Yamaha MT220, Fostex X00
DAC/AMP: Feliks Espressivo (iPhone 6 DAC)

The Espressivo makes the MT220s less fatiguing in the treble, more forward in the lower-to-mid mids, and slightly more soft in the bass. It adds a sort of mild haziness to the sound reminiscent of lounges embracing the free spirited smoke of cigarettes or hookah. There is not a substantial difference in sound when comparing this setup to the MT220s with just the iPhone 6, but there is enough of a difference to garner appreciation. 

The Fostex X00s, despite being 32ohms vs the MT220s 48ohms were affected a bit more by the Espressivo. These cans were affected in a very similar fashion to the MT220s, but in a slightly less appealing fashion because of the slight low-end muddiness. 

Test B
Source: iPhone 6 running Tidal Hi-Fi
Headphones: Yamaha MT220, Fostex X00
DAC/AMP: Neo 230

When pressing play after plugging the MT220s into the Neo 230 I immediately noticed a difference. My aural memory isn't too great and some songs are less revealing than others, so I had to really throw a handful of dynamic tracks together and engage in a tedious listening session to fully articulate this aural experience. 

I listened to mostly R&B, Vocals, Rock and Hip-Hop (in that order).  

Compared to the MT220 Espressivo setup, the 230 surprisingly maintained a comparable lower end. The subbass was pretty tight and impactful, along with the bass and midbass. I noticed that the mids were slightly recessed, but this and other elements of the sound contributed to a much appreciated larger soundstage. Given that the MT220s are a closed can, despite their ability to offer a respectable soundstage, it is nothing compared to say an HD600. So noticing a wider soundstage was a major selling point for me. 

I very quickly noticed better instrument separation and an increased level of clarity. This was slightly hard to believe at first, but certain songs made this unmistakable. The Neo 230 awoke certain elements of some of the songs I listened to, such as the guitar in the left speaker in a song I cannot seem to remember. It did so in such a graceful fashion that I immediately began justifying the purchase. There is a certain airiness to the 230s sound that ties the presentation together and makes it really stand out. The treble is very palatable, with a slight crispness and sparkle that edges over the iPhone 6 DAC with and without the Espressivo amp. The Espressivo naturally dampens the higher end a tad, so when compared to just the iPhone setup I would say that the 230's treble is about as pronounced but it is much more refined. 

One might think that a well-crafted tube amp might offer a more colorful and involving listening experience but I must say that in comparison the 230 has it beat. There is a certain quietness to the song that a tube amp can never offer and a certain clarity that really takes away your ability to identify things that "don't belong in a track". It makes listening a lot less stressful if you're a purist and it makes things sound more natural. I would say the 230 offers a more cool take on the music, but it does so in a way many can appreciate. In fact, I don't miss any luscious aspects of the Espressivo when listening to the 230. It wins in just about every sense. 

When comparing the Fostex X00 setups, the 230 makes it really feel like you're in a concert hall. Although the X00 is slightly more recessed in the mids than MT220s from my experience, the further recession the 230 adds is delightful. The bass is extremely tight and crisp, and the instrument separation adds nice soundstage width. In all of my tests, the 230 shines in soundstage width. And since the X00s are naturally bassier and a bit recessed in the mids and treble, the 230 does a nice job of blossoming these areas, if you may.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I am going to miss the 230. I can't exactly say it is worth $1500 to me, but it is definitely a kit that unlocks your music chain and a kit that brings it to another echelon altogether. I was in the market for a sub $1000 amp/DAC but because of my fun time testing my friend's X00, I bought the Purplehearts a couple of weeks ago. Because of that, I'm out of the market...but maybe just for now :)

Thanks Todd!

May 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #34 of 40
Looking for more reviews - should be 2-3 more from people on the tour. Y'all still writing them?

I received the loaner last week and am finishing up my time with it. I will definitely write up my impressions (I don't think I am necessarily qualified to write a formal review) when I am done. So far though, my impressions are very positive and I find that the 230 HAD drives all of my headphones (Senn HD 600, AKG K7xx and Oppo PM-2) very nicely and with great ease.

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #39 of 40
  Wow!  Amazing review.  Thorough, thoughtful, unique, and helpful.

Thanks Bill!

I probably could have made it a little shorter, but this about sums up my past two years of re-entry into the hobby. And yes, I truly like this box!

Thanks too to Todd!

I would never have heard this box without your home trial.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #40 of 40
http://www.head-fi.org/products/simaudio-230had/reviews/17728

Pros: Smooth and integrated sound presentation
Cons: None, at this price-point
I can give this amp a solid “buy” recommendation, if it is in your financial sweet spot. Better amps cost a lot more, and the 230HAD sounds better than other amps at its price-point. 

I love it that speaker companies are moving into the headphone market. We now have headphones from Focal, and we have amplifiers from Simaudio, Pass Labs, and McIntosh. I think speaker-oriented companies bring different sensibilities to headphone-land. They have years of technical knowhow and fantastic manufacturing facilities, while a lot of headphone outfits arel one guy, his ears, and a bench. Speakers sound fundamentally different from headphones - to sum it up in a word, I’d say the best speakers sound majestic, and the best headphone gear sounds refined. Speakers paint a picture, and headphones give you a photograph. 

The 230 is definitely a headphone amp made by a speaker-amplifier company. The sound is rich and full and detailed. The build quality on the unit is gorgeous and seamless, and the options and formats it handles are plentiful. The part you interact with the most - the volume knob - is implemented wonderfully. 

I had the absolute pleasure of hearing the Moon 430HA amplifier at Tyll’s Big Sound 2015. It sounded simply gorgeous, and the build of the unit just inspired confidence. To my recollection, the 230’s sound signature is quite similar to that of its big brother, to where I wondered if I would have been able to distinguish the two in a blind test. This is saying a lot, considering the 230 is priced at less than half of the 430. This is part of why I say the 230 is absolutely a great value. 

The only direct comparison I could make during my loaner week was to my Violectric V281 amp and V800 DAC. The V281 is punchy and dynamic, while the 230 is elegant and smooth. To my ears, good amps sound more similar to one another than top headphones do, so it is hard to offer a “night-and-day” description of these two amps. I would say that the 230 sounded better than the V281 in single-ended mode. If you consider the cost differential (the V281 is 50% more expensive, not including the DAC, plus you have to invest in balanced cables for all of your headphones to get the most out of it), again the 230 packs a tremendous value. 

I subjected both amps to the Wife Test. She possess the best ears in our house, AND she has absolutely no biases based on price or build quality. I swapped back and forth between the V281 and the Moon, while my HD800 headphones remained on her noggin. She could distinguish them reliably, and she thought the Moon amp “sounds better” but the Violectric “makes me smile”. So there you have it, folks. 

A/B/X testing is the gold standard for judging the relative merits of audio equipment. Can you distinguish them blind? If so, you can know with certainty that you are getting what you pay for. However, I have come to believe that sighted comparisons also capture real (that is, consistent and reliable) differences in audio equipment. Put another way - if I only purchased equipment when I could successfully choose it in a blind test, then I would deprive myself of a lot of gear that brings me satisfaction and listening pleasure. What I really wanted to do was A/B the Vio and the Moon, each at their best, but since the Vio sounds best in balanced mode, it took me three or so minutes each time I wanted to switch back and forth between them, which outlasted my audio memory. I ended up preferring my Violectric in this sighted comparison, but again, we are talking about a 50% more expensive amplifier (not even counting the DAC and cables). For somebody looking for a wonderful way to drive cans like the HD800 or the LCD-3, I can recommend the Moon 230 without hesitation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back