New Loaner program - Meze Elite
Aug 18, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #46 of 49
Just sent off the Meze Elites to the next person...and I'm kind of missing them!

So for a bit of background, this wasn't my first time hearing the Meze Elites. I've demoed the Empyrean a few times in the past, and I got a chance to hear the Elites last year. While they were less warm than the Empyreans, on initial listen, I wasn't bowled over by them. They sounded more neutral, sure, but the Empy's focus on warmth made them a really smooth flavored sound to kick back with, and I preferred those for a long time, until...

Cut to last week when I got the Elites.

Driven With: JDS Labs Element 2. This can takes very little power to drive comfortably. I got an Eddie Current ZDT Jr., but didn't try it with them. Utilized the leather pads for most of my listening.

Listened to: Pop, hip-hop, R&B, rock, EDM. Some light gaming, too.

Build / Comfort: Of course, phenomenal. A very sci-fi-looking headphone. While I'm not partial to the silver and I prefer the Empy's black and gold, the build is still immaculate. Headphone makers absolutely need to take notes from Meze's approach towards design, build quality, and comfort. The yoke adjustment slides so incredibly smoothly. The magnet attachment of pads makes it dead simple. The ovalish cups fit my ears neatly. The curved headband closely fits my head, with no hotspots or sagging. Hardly any clamp pressure and the weight is a touch lighter than my Verite Closeds. All of this is next-level compared to many competitors, and again, I really hope competitors take note!

Sound: I own the ZMF Verite Closed and the Hifiman Aryas (V3), and the Elites almost split the difference between both those cans. It isn't as lush and mid-forward as the Verites, but it isn't as bright, clean and neutral as the Aryas. I'd describe the sound as very smooth, with a noticeable bass shelf. The bass is bloomy and at times very satisfying, though it can feel like it overshadows the mids and vocals from time to time. It's bassier than either of my cans, with the impact and slam matching my VCs but one-upping it on subbass rumble, and there's much more impact here than what the Arya can muster. There's a bit of top end sparkle too in the treble, adding some air, but the clarity doesn't quite reach the levels of the Arya, though it slightly edges out the VC. Imaging and soundstaging are both pretty solid.

While listening, what came to mind constantly was the Elite was a very smooth headphone, very easy to kick back with and enjoy for long stretches. It's not as intense and visceral as the VCs can be, and not as analytical as the Arya.

The Girlfriend Test: I had my girlfriend try all three headphones, listening to mostly acoustic, R&B, and even some ASMR, and out of the three she preferred the Elites, noting they were lush and felt like being in the room with the artists. For the VCs, she felt they were very "live"-sounding, like being at a concert. The Aryas were clean and clear, like at a performance but a few rows back.

Overall: I'm very impressed with the Elites, and while the initial "wow" factor waned over the week, doing a final listen before boxing it up reiterated just how easygoing and pleasant these headphones are, with some addictive bass. If I had to stick with one headphone, these would be a great pick for the incredible comfort and the relaxed sound. On some level, I found myself rationalizing selling the Arya to replace with these, though I feel like I'd eventually miss the Arya's clarity and great applications for movies and gaming. I wish I could compare the Elites and OG Empyreans side by side further, but the weeklong demo really elevated the Elite for me and I enjoyed the listen!

Thank you very much to @Todd for the loaner program!

Attachments

• PXL_20220816_160331870.jpg
    PXL_20220816_160331870.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220818_185954287.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220818_185954287.MP.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #47 of 49
I have received the Meze Elites.
They have far exceeded my expectations. Extremely different beast from the older Empyrean. A more thorough review will be coming. I kind of feel that I must have a pair and looking at what I can sell, but still honeymooning.
Thanks so much to Todd.

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #49 of 49
I’d love to try the Elites out some day.

I had the Empyreans and they weren’t for me. I loved the look, but the sound was just off to my ears. Like something was missing or canceled our from the frequency response.

I was worried I’d have the same issue with the Elites and didn’t want to take that gamble without hearing them first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back