New Loaner Program for Focal Radiance @TTVJAudio
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #16 of 23
Hey Todd, I'll withdraw my name from this loaner program. Seems likely to be quite a while before the Radiance gets to me (I'm number nine on the list, and perhaps six months away, given shipping hiccups), so I'll step out for now. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #17 of 23
Hello All,

With the Focal Radiance safely packed up and on it's way to the next person I would like to share some of my thoughts on my time with this interesting headphone, but first I would like to say a very fine thank you to Todd for providing this headphone for this tour.

Build Quality & Design
The build quality of the Radiance is, in a word, immaculate. I cannot find any fault with how the Radiance is manufactured. The cable on the other hand... plenty of issues with that, but that's for a little later. Now, the design of the Radiance is a little out of my comfort zone, as I personally don't care what a headphone looks like as long as it sounds good. It's a striking looker of a headphone, but as that's a subjective piece I will leave that decision up to you.

The unboxing experience is what I expect from Focal headphones... it's an experience unlike many other headphones in this price range, and likely better than many that are several thousands more. Just a quick note on this piece... I owned the Abyss 1266 Phi TC for a few months which I purchased new from Abyss, and at the $5k mark you would expect to be wowed by the unboxing. Well, I have to say that the Radiance beats that unboxing experience by several times over. If that's an important thing to you, then Focal is likely your brand.

Gear Used
For the Radiance I used it primarily as a transportable headphone, as it is closed back, but I did use it on my main system for a few hours of listening time.

It's important to note that I have left the 'measurement is everything' crowd of listening over the last year for a more 'sit back and relax' style of listening. I believe that this hobby can, over time, lead you down some paths that take away from what we all love here, or should love here.... listening to music. Ok, off of my soapbox and on to more impressions...

Transportable System:
- Chord Hugo
- Oriolus BA300S
- MacBook Air
- Tidal / Spotify

Main System
- Bottlehead Mainline w/6sn7 adapter
- Schiit Yggdrasil GS
- RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Sound Impressions

While the Hugo has more than enough power to drive the pants off of the Radiance, it didn't always pair nicely with it... and any chance that I get to add a little width/warmth with tubes I will do it!

The Radiance is not what you may come to expect from a classic Focal tuned headphone. Yes, the Utopia are detail and treble champs, but the rest of their line has primarily focused on dynamics and impact. The Elear, Elex and Clear are dynamic wonders in the world of headphones... at least to my ears.

When Focal released the Elegia I purchased it almost immediately before the reviews started coming in. The Elegia was a detailed, slightly leaner leaning headphones that gave you everything the recording had to offer, and nothing more. The Radiance is more of a successor to the now discontinued Elegia than it is another step in to the Uber-dynamic Focal's like the Clear, etc... It gives you everything that the recording has to offer, but doesn't add any weight or coloration to the sound. I was a little shocked at first, seeing as reviewers talked about the punch and slam of this headphone, but I honestly just couldn't find that in these. I know, I know... I have seen the frequency response graphs... I just didn't hear what I had seen in them.

Detail, imaging, layering and stage were all great here. These are not as wide as a HD820, but they're also not as intimate sounding as my trusty ZMF Atticus. Think of the Radiance as more of a Elegia style presentation. It's tasteful, but more of that 1-3 row sound than the conductor (Atticus), or the 12th row (HD820) sound.

The Radiance excelled with genres that had many layers of instruments/voices, I did have to add a couple of EQ shelves with the ADI-2 FS in order to get those lower frequencies and to help round out that sometimes bright mix. It could be my music, but it could also be the headphones.

While I can see how these would be a great headphone for a lot of people out there, it just wasn't a winner for me. I would, and am, happily keep the ZMF Atticus at my side, but thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Radiance.

Overall Summary Thoughts
The Radiance is a gorgeously built headphones that doesn't weigh as much as you might think looking at it. I have never understood how some people out there talk about a 'heavy' headphone for long periods of time. I wear a headphone, daily, for 8+ hours at work, so with the 435g of the Radiance, or the 470(ish)g weight of the Atticus it makes no difference to my head. Hell, even the 680g of the Abyss 1266 Phi TC never gave me issues, nor did the 635g LCD-3, but if you're worried about weight maybe switch to IEMs or a more plastic forward build.

The cable... Ok, let's talk about it. Focal... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY... make a headphone where the very first thing you do as an owner is NOT took for an aftermarket cable. I have owned the Elear, Elex, Clear, Elegia and the Utopia. They all have had one thing in common... their cables have been garbage. I don't know if you're in a competition with Hifiman for the worst stock cables, but you're both trading blow-for-blow with what you provide. While Hifiman provides a cable with no weight that holds on to its shape that's either wrapped in cardboard or in catheter tubing, you all seem to provide either THE HEAVIEST vacuum cable you can find, or you go the other direction and take what Hifiman provides and then wrap it in some of the stiffest cloth you can. The microphonic of these cables are just awful. Please, talk to ANY aftermarket cable manufacturer about how to design a soft, pliable and non-microphonic cable. Seriously... talk to ANY of them. Hell, PAY them to make your cables for you. If I can get a cable for $65 that blows yours out of the water, what do you think it costs them to make it? Maybe $30? I don't buy in to the better cable makes better sound conversation, but I do believe that better sound happens when you're not constantly hearing the cable rub up against your shirt.

Ok, I am better now...

The Radiance is a pleasure to unbox and hold. It's an amazing achievement in how a company can mass produce a headphone with this kind of quality, and the team at Focal understands what unboxing does for the person opening it up. While I can't say that it's the right headphone for me, I am 100% sure that many, MANY other people will love how the Radiance presents sound.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #20 of 23
FOCAL RADIANCE FOR BENTLEY CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES

Short and to the point review:

My review sample came to me on a tour from the very awesome and very classy Todd The Vinyl Junkie - I was the third or fourth to review the Focal Radiance- jumping right in and to the point-While it’s looks and construction are befitting of their selling price -initially I found the Focal Radiance sound signature well balanced for the most part- nearly but as I continued to concentrate more on details...

This track sounds nice on the Radiance however.... the next track

The Blade Runner 2049 Soundtrack is a torture test the Radiance barely receives a passing grade here

This track made me want to take off the Radiance and slap my GH50JM Edition on or my GL1200 or even the GL2000

Some tracks made me again give the harsh rating-
if you can not do Norah Jones with out fatigue or over extension- something is wrong

I found the Focal Radiance a bit fatiguing after one hour of listening- some mid to high frequency on female and some male tracks
seemed oddly off and exaggerated in some frequencies and under exaggerated and recessed in others- cymbals also sounded off and not true to the recording- I think these headphones were tuned to be impressive on first listen (first 15 mins I was really like wow these are nice and clear nice imaging with intimate stage etc) but as I continued to listen I realized the flaws- compared to my Kennerton GH50JM Edition- the Radiance also had a noticeable bass overextended distortion of the driver on some torture test tracks at moderate nominal volumes and got worse as I turned up volume- I attribute this to the driver hyper extending - something I rarely would expect from this price range- and this was also confirmed by Josh V recently in his video review describing it similarly -

24709ECE-DA2B-4871-AE07-6FAD307FB81A.jpeg
849A8C78-8277-4ABF-A44E-8F53DFBAA1A6.jpeg
A245F038-FE77-4C94-B37C-507175A817D2.jpeg

At lower volumes or normal volumes the bass over extension is not noticeable at all even among my torture test tracks - so it may not be a concern for casual listening but something my Gh50s never do - and something once you hear it you kind of cringe.
If I never heard the Kennerton Gh50s I would say the Focal is among the better closed backed headphones for fit and finish and sound for short periods of time.

THE FIT
The headband on the Focal is comfortable but the clamp force on my ears is a little much after an hour - which is ironically matched to how long I could tolerate the slightly fatiguing sound signature as well-these two major strikes against the Radiance make this a hard recommendation from me. The ear cups are comfortable as they are beautiful and I love the snaps to change and clean the ear pads/cups but nice stitching/construction can only go so far if the sound doesn’t measure up to the beauty.

As you may have guessed- I do not like Focal sound signature- one reviewer wrote "the Focal house sound has thinned-out mids, uneven upper harmonics, peaky upper treble, perhaps even an oddly-tuned bass" I could not agree more... however that same reviewer also said he disliked the sample he had of the Gold Planar GL2000 which I already reviewed and gave a glowing review for my sample. Many people have discussed the sample problems with Gold Planar - my sample was spot on perfect. This is not about the Gold Planar growing pains of consistency in production and making them all sound like my sample- this is clearly their production issues and quality of control at the Gold Planar factory - but we are not talking about GP we are talking about Focal- an established well respected very precision company - who intentionally voices their speakers and earphones a certain way- the sound signature of all the Focals - consistency in production being paramount and something I really love about Focal. It's just that they are a tuned sound signature I do not agree with.

I recently wrote these words and I would like to share the quote:
"I just can not get into Focal sound- not one Focal I tried back a year ago (Stellia and Utopia) or what I have at my house right now (the Raidance and the Celestee)... sorry Focal we love your marketing, your good looks and nice ‘image’ as a potentially great tool for listening to music so to speak- but Kennerton is king for me - more spacious imaging, better sound-stage impact, much better tighter and deep bass… and the mid to high blend is pure ear candy pleasure… and details are brought out without taking out one ounce of pleasure - I never experience listening fatigue….

I equate the Focals in the same group as the B&W sound camp vs the Magnepan and Vandersteen sound camp. One makes you continuously search for tweaks to subdue the issues of their strange frequency anomalies and the issues they run into with their ground up DNA design with in their 3rd and 4th order crossovers - when it comes to 3d space and timing- always searching for a way to make the Focals and B&Ws sound less harsh and always trying to make them sound more musical where the Vandersteens and Magnepans always sound great and even better with revealing cables amps and sources... my choice is clear and I make no apologies.

SUB BASS: 7.3/10
BASS: 7.4/10
MIDS: 7.4/10
HIGH FREQ: 7/10
SOUND-STAGE: 8.5/10
BUILD: 10/10
SUPPLIED CORD: 6/10 (4.4MM CONNECTION ONLY NO ADAPTER SUPPLIED)
ACCESSORIES: 9/10 (CASE AND EAR PADS ARE TOP NOTCH)
CLINICAL EVALUATION OF MUSIC: 7/10
PLEASURABLE SOUND OF MUSIC: 7.5/10
COMFORT: 7.5/10

SUITABLE FOR: INDUSTRIAL, ROCK, EDM, BLUES, JAZZ AND CLASSICAL
PORTABLE USE: Can be used portably and sounds ok with standard iphone and dongle but sounds best with serprate amp and dac

AMP/DAC DEPENDENT: YES- YOU WILL HEAR WHAT YOU PLUG IN- NO HIDING HERE WITH THIS RESOLVING HP

I used my Ray Samuels Apache 2021 edition and my Fiio.q5s and Cayin c9 for my tests. DAC was Topping D90 and Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Pro

A Knock out performance that few headphones can do so well - a great recording with the best mics and mastering- AEA Mics and Preamps used here and no other mastering comes close to this perfection and the presentation but really accents and highlights the performance mishaps in the Bentley Radiance compared to other headphones I have used. The GH50JM Edition and the Gold Planar GL1200 with Enhanced/Gold Ribbons are a perfect examples of what the track should sound like at it's best. Even the HD600 sounds much more accurate here than the Radiance on high hats and drums.

SIDE NOTE: So you know, I have 3 systems at my home- my speakers are Vandersteen 3a Signatures, Magnepan 3.6r and my desk top system which uses SEAS drivers in custom D'Appolito configuration. I edit videos and film on location for professionals- I mix sound for a living occasionally after I film them in person- sometimes I am handed tracks that are terrible masters but am asked to make videos from them without re-mastering the sound. My IMDB page is https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8127846/
I am not a flake or hard of hearing at all-I get sound tested by my doctor each year or two. I grew up with sound engineers in the studio who were mixing albums at The Mix Palace and Platinum Sound Recording and The Power Station, Electric Lady Studios Studios in NY to name a few. When I like something I will review it such as the Kennerton headphones I reviewed on head-fi before. If I take the time to review something it has to be meaningful- it must have moved me and compelled me to do so- I do not get paid for any reviews. I do this because I care to set the record straight on what I hear and how I felt about a particular piece of equipment.
5F452291-24EB-4823-86DC-735B3EEFAB07.jpeg
5598DCF1-B9F5-45A3-82B6-7DFC66E26E50.jpeg
32F99F2B-1377-43A8-BD68-5530681870C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 23
A huge thank you to Todd at TTVJ for organizing this loaner program so that the community can demo the very striking Focal Radiance!

Focal Radiance shot.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Build:

The quality of materials and build quality seems to be very nice at a glance. I’m not sure how long the headband padding and earpads will last though, having seen pictures of others’ deteriorating earpads and headbands. If anything else, these can be used as a weapon and probably still be fine. The earcups have a spring mechanism on the vertical adjustment on the earcups which I quite like.

The loaner unit came with a single 4ft 3.5mm cable with a ¼” screw-on adapter. Inferring from an unboxing video, I think that’s all the cables that come with it which is a bit disappointing. I would’ve liked a longer cable to use at home as well. Considering the MSRP, I don’t think that’s too much to ask for. I’m not sure how many people actually use these on-the-go.

Fit/Comfort:

The fit is quite nice. Snug on my head. The headband and earpads are very comfortable and soft. I have a fairly large head and I didn’t max out the headband slider (6 out of the 9 clicks). The headphones are, however, very heavy. I start feeling these pulling my neck down within 5 minutes of wearing them and I’m used to heavy planars. I don’t think I can wear these for long periods of time without breaks. These may get really sweaty on hot summer days though with the leather pads.

The earpads seal very well and not like a vacuum seal where you would get nauseous. A plus for me. The noise isolation is very good. I’ve got a Vornado tower fan on full blast like 5 ft in front of me and I don’t hear it with a very moderate listening level.

Sound:

Source: Schiit Modius > Topping A90; briefly listened with my LG G8X ThinQ

Preface:

As a reference for what headphones I’ve been using, my daily driver is a Hifiman Susvara that I’ve pad swapped with something that looks like Beyerdynamic earpads (though has non-perforated underside unlike most Beyerdynamic earpads). I remember they were on an old vintage headphone that I bought but I forgot which one. I have also been using a Sony MDR-MA900 almost exclusively as of late since they’re very breathable in this heat wave. What I’ve been using will very likely influence my thoughts on the Radiance.

Also, we were allowed a week to listen to the Radiance. I think it’s more than enough time to get the gist of a headphone but some might not.

Bass:

Bass extension is very good. I can easily hear and feel the rumble in my test tracks. The bass response is boosted from neutral but I think it’s still very tasteful in level. It doesn’t bleed into the midrange. There’s a bit of a dip in the lower mids/upper bass that sort of aids in sounding less “cuppy.” More on that later though. I like a bit more bass like here with the Radiance in closed-back headphones. However, the bass response seems a bit lacking in detail and one-noted. The texture of the bass sounds a bit mushy. The elevated bass from 150 Hz on down would suggest a fairly punchy and visceral bass and sub-bass response but it sounds fairly dampened than what measurements would suggest.

Midrange:

I actually really like the midrange as-is. Because of the bit of a dip in the lower mids and in the upper midrange, it sounds a tiny bit focused 500 Hz to 1kHz. Not honky or “middy,” if anything, it sounds a bit colored from neutral. I think there’s more energy around 2-4 kHz than what my measurements below show and suggest. I think it’s just at my limit of tolerance before it gets too “shouty” and “blaring” sounding. I’ve read of other impressions describing the midrange as sounding thin and I definitely get it. It’s not a warm and “chesty” sounding response and because of that, I really like the midrange response here. I mean I’m used to certain planars that don’t have that lower midrange and upper bass sort of bloom so I may be biased here. There’s a definite dip around 4-5 kHz that eases the upper harmonics in vocals and instruments. No raw or grating response here. The dip around 4-5 kHz also aids in the perception of “depth” and layering in its overall sonic presentation. I think the resolution here is good.

Treble:

Relatively easy going compared to the couple of other Focals I’ve heard (Elex and Clear). Noticeable peaks around 5.7 kHz and 11 kHz give a slight “SHHH” and tizz to the sound. Not annoying peaks but noticeable enough to give a sort of character to the treble. I do like to EQ so I do pull those peaks down a couple db. Otherwise, the treble response is pretty smooth and easy-going, and honestly, I don't have much to say about the treble. It’s not crazy detailed but also not dull and unengaging. I’d say that I’m very particular with the treble response like with crazy peaks and dips *cough MDR-Z1R cough*, but I don’t mind the treble response here on the Radiance if that says anything. I think the resolution here is ok but not great.

Soundstage/Imaging:

To be honest, I mostly listen to open-backs so my reference on soundstage and imaging for closed-backs is not very good. I very briefly owned an MDR-Z1R but I did not like those at all. Back to the Radiance, the soundstage is not particularly wide. I can hear “cup-verb” here on the Radiance where the sound would bounce back from the earcups back to the ear which I think sorta interferes with the perception of soundstage and imaging. It’s not severe like with certain over-dampened planars where it just sounds like a wall of sound but I still don’t think imaging is incredibly sharp or clear because of that. I know Focal has tried to mitigate the backwave energy with an intricate looking design in the earcups like an anechoic chamber but I’m not sure if it’s enough in practice.

Measurements:

Focal Radiance.jpgRadiance vs MDR-Z1R.jpgFocal Radiance vs Audeze LCD-XC 2021.jpg
Radiance vs Atticus.jpgRadiance vs Auteur.jpg

Measured on a MiniDSP EARS. HPN compensation. Left channel at 90 db. The 3-5 kHz region on the MiniDSP EARS measured on most if not all headphones is inaccurate. The MiniDSP EARS is also not accurate at measuring the treble region though it does provide a bit of insight if overlaid with another headphone’s response. I typically identify dips and peaks in the treble by ear with a tone generator - how reliable one thinks that may be is up to whoever’s reading really. There are also more reliable measurements done on more reputable rigs so please refer to those for a much more accurate response.

Conclusion/TL;DR:

Overall, I like them a lot to my surprise. I say that because I was a bit lukewarm on the Elex and Clear. The bass response here could be a lot better in its articulation and texture, and the soundstage and imaging could be wider and more precise. The midrange is not warm with a dip in the lower midrange/upper bass giving it a more focused sound around 500 Hz to 1 kHz. I think it’s tastefully tuned. The treble is ok sounding - nothing to write home about but no major issues either. I think the overall frequency response is very agreeable for most people, myself included. They’re built very well. I think they look very classy in person. Maybe if it dropped the Bentley badge and price by like 300-400 bucks, it’d be a very good proposition.

Price aside, I’d rather get these than the Audeze LCD-XC 2021; ZMF Atticus; Eikon; Auteur; and Sony MDR-Z1R. Haven’t heard any ZMFs beyond that. In defense of the Atticus, Eikon, and Auteur; I’ve only demo’d them with whatever pads the owner had on them. However, I’m very sure I’ll still feel more or less the same with an extended listening session with those with different pads. I didn't like the 2021 LCD-XC at all. The ZMFs are more of a matter of preference but the MDR-Z1R is just bad :).

As a side note, I’m very curious about the Stellia now, especially how the bass response differs.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 23
I am in possession of the Focal Radiance.

Thank you!

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #23 of 23
A major thank you to Todd for organizing this loaner program. It is a great thing for the head-fi community.

Chain used
Tidal > SMSL Su-9 (Bal out) > Topping A90 (Bal Out).
Tidal > iphone SE2

Cans used as reference
HD800s (sonarworks eq'ed)
Stellia

Packaging & Build Quality​

One thing that Focal generally gets right is the look and feel of their products. Audiophilia can be (and getting increasingly so) an expensive hobby, especially when you get to the mid/hi/summit fi levels (aka hyperinflated price for tech). And yet a lot of headphones do not have the build quality to go with their price point, making them even less value for the money.

As with their other high end cans, Focal did a good job with the packaging on this one (well, the contents of the box anyway, see nitpicks below). The black leather box feels high end (although Stellias come in a brown leather one which feels nicer, but definitely not 3x the msrp nicer). The carrying case is good. The headphones have the nice copper/black color scheme (which is preferable to the overly bougie, luxury handbag Stellia color scheme), and design elements like the Bentley logo and Focal logos are tastefully placed on the exterior.

I do have a few nitpicks though. Focal packages their headphones in paper boxes that clearly indicate on the outside a) Focal brand b) the model. In this day and age where a lot of packages fly around, I don't appreciate having the contents of my package known to the world. It increases the chance of theft. And it is not the kind of conspicuousness I want to attract.

Another nitpick is with the cable. First there is no balanced cable. They seem to have assumed people would mainly use this headphone on the go on mobile devices. Second, the cable included is the typical short, stiff Focal cable. It is excellent length if you plug into phone and put phone in pocket, and the stiffness reduces microphonics, but if you want to use with amp it is annoyingly short. The stiffness of the cable does cause the headphone adapter cable on the iphone (very pliable and thin) to twist when there's too much tension. Third, they could have thrown in an extra, longer cable at this price point. Why are headphone manufacturers so stingy with cables? It costs them peanuts to put an extra one in. They already spent all that effort with the packaging. I would take the extra cable over the leather case and carrying case if some things need to be sacrificed.

A final nitpick is the material does not feel as high end as Stellia (and possibly the Celestee but I have not used one; the design looks practically identical to Stellia sans color). First, the underside of the headband is perforated leather on the Stellia, but on Radiance they cut diamond pattern into the leather grain as a visual design. The same material is in the inside layer of the earpad. This makes the leather look and feel worn out (and cheap). Second, the Stellia cup is metal and leather, whereas the Radiance cup is metal, plastic and leather. Plastic is used for the criss-cross diamond pattern on the outside of the cup. The price of having the Bentley/diamond shape design are these modifications to the materials. Given that all higher end Focal close-backs are essentially luxury items, I found it necessary to take points off for what I perceive to be imperfections in the material.

Comfort​

Radiance has a nice clamp and sits sturdy on the head. The pressure can be fairly strong, especially if you are in a reclining position, but properly fitted it does not cause pressure points for me.

It's winter in NY so I don't feel overheating or sweat problem. But experience from using Stellia tells me these would be uncomfortable in warmer weather. During the summer, the leather pads can really warm up in matter of minutes.

Overall impression​

Due to the short cable and the ease of driving these, I ended up listening on my phone for the most part as I move about the house. When I did use the amp, I found these to be very easy to drive, had to turn down the gain on the dac and the volume was almost set to lowest on the A90.

The headphones I use frequently are the Focal Stellia and the Sennheiser HD800s. I will attempt to make some high level comparisons of the SQ with these cans. I use Sonarworks to harmon eq the HD800s on _some_ tracks to either bring out more bass or bring down the highs a bit. I enjoy having good soundstage _and_ bass on headphone, as well as resolution. For the most part I do not find the HD800s treble to be particularly troublesome, and I like airiness in my sound (having grown up on the er4 sound). I got the Stellia to get a complementary sound signature. At the time, the Radiance was a candidate. I went with Stellia to reduce the likelihood of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), because in my mind I would have perceived it as not being TOTL and have an itch to "upgrade". I have more comments regarding Radiance/Celestee/Stellia choice if I had to do it again at the end of the review.

The Radiance has a warm, dark sound with pleasing bass that give it a good sense of impact at the bottom end, better than a lot of other closed headphones (dt770, emu-teaks). Bass impact is a big differentiating quality in the Focal closed backs I have used, and a big part of what makes their headphones stand out.

The Radiance tuning is fairly close to Stellia, but a bit more airy and a bit less emphasis on the bass. On the Stellia I feel the highs are rather recessed whereas with Radiance I find it acceptable. Compared with the HD800s, the soundstage on both Focal cans are puny, and it did take me some time to get used to. I recall when I first listened to Stellias coming from HD800s, they felt claustrophobic. Once you get used to it though, it feels like just another closed-back soundstage. Neither Focals do as good a job (by far) as the HD800s at spacial positioning.

The genre I listen to a lot is trance (edm), then there is also pop/vocal/jazz/classical.

For trance, I check how the headphone renders the drop (a brief pause after which melody/vocals are again played, to bring out the mood) in the tracks. This often involve a change in octave and can have a lot of lines simultaneously playing. The track can suddenly get very busy, so a lot of dynamics. The main things I look for are: sense of space, bass, and airy highs when the track requires it.

I find that Radiance nails the bass (impactful, does a great job bringing about the illusion of the dance floor), but have so-so sense of space, and okay highs. With that said, I find myself really liking Radiance for trance/edm, because the tuning just feels more balanced than the Stellia: bass is dialed back a little so it does not become the emphasis, and the highs do not feel as recessed. It is just perfect for any genre that requires a U-shaped sound; meaning, Radiance is also great if you listen to a lot of pop.

For vocals, I listened to Bruce Springsteen's Letter to You. The Radiance gave an intimate rendition.

I was not able to try these out much for jazz.

For classical, I gave a listen to Winter from Vivaldi's 4 seasons, which was rendered enjoyably. While the sense of busyness was conveyed, it lacked the proper soundstage to envelop the listener. Another piece listened to was Bach's Brandenberg concerto #3, which the headphones gave a pleasing rendition. These are not the best cans for classical due to the lack of soundstage and just average instrument separation. You definitely should use open back cans for that, e.g. HD800s. From memory, the emu-teaks are the best close backs I heard so far for classical. Haydn symphonies sounded fantastic on those, due to a very pleasing, warm rendition of string instruments.

If I have to give a score, I would probably rate these 4 out of 5, because the sound is good for what I use them for (trance), and relative to other Focal closed backs, it is price attractively. If I were shopping for Focal closed backs today, it would be the choice between these and the Celestee. The Stellias just do not give enough bang for the buck even with that technically superior beryllium driver (the tuning just isn't that much different, or, imo, superior. definite is not worth 3x the msrp). I suspect the Celestee tuning is not too far off from the Radiance, but I'd give both a listen first.

If I had to pick based on only aesthetics, I'd take the Radiance over the Celestee; just do not dig the blue/gold color scheme (too much bling), and black never goes out of style!

Some edm albums for your enjoyment.​

[state by overwerk]

[blueprint by ferry corsten]

[tron legacy reconfigured by daft punk & various]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back