New Little Dot 1+
Jan 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone heard the new 2010 version with the latest opamp? Just curious as to what improvements they have in Sound Quality compared to the previous version.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 19
Mine is being built in a few days, so I guess I am getting the new version? I'll have to open it up when I get it to confirm. Though if that's the case, I haven't heard the original, so impressions on sonic differences would be nice
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 19
Just got mine today. Dropped in some WE 5654 tubes. It's a sweet sounding amp with my Grado 325's. Sure is tiny--it's sitting on top of my WA3's transformer cover. Dunno if it's better or worse than last year's version but it suits the Grados very well.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 19
I have the "old" version and I think it sounds great (with some slight tweaks), but if there was one thing I'd be in awe of, would be an alps pot upgrade and better RF shielding. The latter is a minute considering I place my amp far enough from my laptop, but if I had the know how, I'd replace that pot in a ny minute.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 19
Oh ok my mistake, thats the same one(mc33078P) they have now wahahaha . I wasn't gonna post this thread til David ZheZhe gave me an answer but my logon has failed in the new LD site and I couldnt wait. Looks like this thread should be deleted by the mods if the 1+ is the same
biggrin.gif

Heatfan12,
Is that default opamp nice or is it easily bested by upgrades? I'm more into the neutral/inoffensive(no unnatural peaks) in sound.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh ok my mistake, thats the same one(mc33078P) they have now wahahaha . I wasn't gonna post this thread til David ZheZhe gave me an answer but my logon has failed in the new LD site and I couldnt wait. Looks like this thread should be deleted by the mods if the 1+ is the same
biggrin.gif

Heatfan12,
Is that default opamp nice or is it easily bested by upgrades? I'm more into the neutral/inoffensive(no unnatural peaks) in sound.

I like it Don. I have two of these amps. One with stock op-amp and EF92s and one with LT1364 and 408As at the moment. IMO it is more neutral than the LT1364 which I think is a good match with 408a tube...

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 19
I should get one of these amps to go beside my mk2. I might even sell my mk2 if these come out sounding better with my cans
smily_headphones1.gif
So far with my mk2, I'm really loving tung sol tubes and just ordered some WE403Bs. Whats nice is that if I do sell my mk2, the 1+ can use the mk2 tubes.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 19
I got the LD 1+ last week and love it. I replaced the tubes with NOS Mullard 8161s, and ordered 2 op amps, the LT1364 and the LM4562. On a quick evening A/B of both of them I am using the LT1364 for now.
Great sounding little amp for my D2000s.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the LD 1+ last week and love it. I replaced the tubes with NOS Mullard 8161s, and ordered 2 op amps, the LT1364 and the LM4562. On a quick evening A/B of both of them I am using the LT1364 for now.
Great sounding little amp for my D2000s.

it's fun a/b'ing the LDI+ with other amps to get a good idea of the punch it gives it. I don't like listening to my D2000s without it.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #13 of 19
when the tube synergy is right, do you guys think the ld 1+ is good enough for hd580s or 600s? I am thinking of trading my ld mk2 for the 1+ since I need a more all around budget amp that can also run low impedance cans well. Ive seen amps with less power than the mk1 that are supposedly great with senns which is why I'm thinking the power might not be as much of an issue as opamp/tube synergy with the cans. The amp that I'm thinking of with the low power output thats supposedly great for senns is the Donald North Sonnet.

Anyone have anything to comment on this?

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found this and thought it would be good reading for ld 1+ owners
Little Dot LD1+ Circuit Modifications - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

nice thread. They seem to have come to the conclusion that the tube stage "colors" the sound, while removing them makes the amp a bit more transparent.

Well to my ears, it's the perfect amp for my headphones, so I have no desire to change anything except what I noted earlier, though I wouldn't mind hearing the results of that user's experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back