New listener
Feb 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrot Nose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was doing some research on the Sony MDR-SA5000s, And they seem like everything i ever wanted for my listening enjoyment, Only i read that the sound stage isn't very big, I guess i can say that i am looking for a good overall image of the instruments and sounds being played. I want to listen to any instrument in it's own space clearly, While i can hear all the other sounds clearly. What im really trying to say is that i want a headphone that will give me the best picture or imaging of what i am listening to.

Sorry i cant really explain well what i want to say.
redface.gif

If you want a big sound stage, I would suggest the Sony CD3000. While they aren't being made anymore, you said you had a budget of more than $1400 (since you wanted to get the HD800) and that would probably be enough to get a pair. FWIR, they're just like the SA5000 but with the flaws corrected and a much wider sound stage.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #17 of 21
I will add one caveat that if you like warm cans sa5k may not be your cup of tea. The gripe I had w/ sa5k excluding its thin bass which I don't mind was the aflutter sounding low spectrum signature. Level of transparency, imaging, speed though hd800 enamored me w/ its superiority are astounding nevertheless. The de-masked bass of sa5k may be acting as the reason behind its its clear sound which I think can be a moot point.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gripe I had w/ sa5k excluding its thin bass which I don't mind was the aflutter sounding low spectrum signature.

What exactly do you mean by that?

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly do you mean by that?

One way to put it is bass has brightness in it. Bright usually refers to the lower treble frequencies but think of it as copying it and then masking it on the lower end, sorta like a "up-there" sound. Felt hollow as a result.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 21
The HD800s are quite pricey, but damn if they aren't a fantastic upgrade.

The way I justified purchasing the HD800s, to myself anyway, is: if I have these, how tempted am I going to be to buy other headphones in the future?

Honestly, at this point, I can't imagine being tempted by any other headphones for a very long time (which is very good for my wallet). Not only do the HD800s sound fantastic, but they're hands-down the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. They've got a heft to them, but they feel almost weightless on my head. I have sat through six+ hour sessions with them without feeling any fatigue or strain.

My sources are an EMU 0202 USB DAC and a µDAC, along with a HiFiMan EF2A DAC/amp, and the HD800s have made it easy to hear the differences between the different DAC chips. None of these components cost more than $200, so you don't have to spend a fortune on sources to make the HD800s sound great.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #21 of 21
You're talking about going from a crap sandwich to filet mignon. Will filet mignon taste better? Duh. Do you have to move up that much to get better taste? Hardly.

The problem with Bose products is that Bose was not invented for audiophile purposes. They were invented for noisy environments. The original product was a noise-cancelling technology for aviation headsets. I can assure you, the HD800 would not sound all that good in the cockpit of a helicopter. No open can could. Bose works within its intended purpose as a headphone for noisy environments where you need the sound isolation - and where you're willing to trade away fidelity for comfort. Where there's a lot of ambient noise, the headphone of choice will be one that blocks out lots and lots of unwanted sound. Bose does that. Unfortunately, that makes it unacceptable for audiophiles. With Bose, you get exaggerated bass and muted, muddy mids and HF. Just look at the cushion of the QC3. The clear-screen area is the size of a marble. The rest is a thick leatherette pad that simply blocks out HF.

You can get better sound than this for $40. The Koss PortaPro, which is hardly audiophile, will give you plenty of kick but also enough HF that you'll think you'd died and gone to Heaven - at least after Bose. The Grado SR60i, at $79, will give you a much clearer sound (with plenty of kick) - because it's an open can. For the same price as Bose's QC15, you can get an HD 25i II, which will give you the same kick but a lot more clarity. Your options are really vast. You just had the misfortune of getting Bose'd up front. It reminds of a line in Hamlet 2, where a kid tells his teacher he's from Tucson, to which the teacher replies: "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back