New Lcd-2 vs Used Lcd-3
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Karlmalone1

New Head-Fier
I recently heard a pair of Lcd-2s (fazor) and was blown away, really loved the sound and definitely am looking to pick up a pair. I'm ok paying the $1000 for a new one, but i'm also considering paying a couple hundred more ($1200 or so) for a used Lcd-3. Anybody heard both and can offer on which route I should take? Thanks

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 17
Just heard a new pair a few weeks ago myself and they we pretty good. You hear a lot of people here say they like the pre fazor version better can't say as even though I have heard both I haven't owned them myself so this is just on short listening experience. I prefer the LCD 3's myself as they are not quite as lush and I think have better detail. This would really have to do with personal preference and what you are running them from also. Another thing is you said they blew you away so ....

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 17
I recently heard a pair of Lcd-2s (fazor) and was blown away, really loved the sound and definitely am looking to pick up a pair. I'm ok paying the $1000 for a new one, but i'm also considering paying a couple hundred more ($1200 or so) for a used Lcd-3. Anybody heard both and can offer on which route I should take? Thanks
I own a used pair of LCD2 that was driver swapped to the Fazor drivers and absolutely love it; except that it makes me want to sell my HD650 because the Audeze does everything better :/ If you loved the lcd2 I'd say go for it, but would strongly recommend going pre owned. As much as I love them, I wouldn't pay 1000 bucks new for them. I got mine for $650 and you can find the newest models hovering around $800. The only thing I regret is not getting the hard case for it :frowning2:

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for the responses, i also auditioned the Focal Elear and HD800 but my ears preferred the LCD-2 by a fair margin (HD800 was great too but quite different). I agree about the LCD-2 doing everything better than the HD650, I love the 650s but the LCD-2 is just operating at a higher level. I can only imagine the LCD-3 takes it up even further.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 17
The 800's are bit amp picky but the soundstage is hard to beat. Yes that planar speed is just so different I agree other than electrostatics but the bass is still better with planars.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the responses, i also auditioned the Focal Elear and HD800 but my ears preferred the LCD-2 by a fair margin (HD800 was great too but quite different). I agree about the LCD-2 doing everything better than the HD650, I love the 650s but the LCD-2 is just operating at a higher level. I can only imagine the LCD-3 takes it up even further.
I'd imagine the LCD-3 does outperform the 2, but I'm sure it's also not as laid back (maybe). I would imagine they sound different by a wide margin as do the upper end of the HD line

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 17
I'd imagine the LCD-3 does outperform the 2, but I'm sure it's also not as laid back (maybe). I would imagine they sound different by a wide margin as do the upper end of the HD line
Definitely not as laid back more detail oriented.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 17
Sounds like I probably need to listen to the LCD-3 before making any commitment. If I can jump on a used deal for an LCD-2 I may just do that for the time being.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 17
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 17
Are you looking into the LCD-3 Pre-Fazor or Fazor version?

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 17
I was surprised that there existed such differences between the models when I've tried them at meets against my LCD2 early rev1.

I wasn't a fan of the fazor versions, of either LCD2F or LCD3F. They just didn't feel as deep as my LCD2. But take that with a grain of salt. I'm sure they were fine headphones in their own right, Sometimes you just get used to the signature that you are familiar with.

That said, the LCD3 Classic I tried was better than my LCD2, even a bit deeper sounding. Even still, I didn't really feel any the lesser for having my LCD2. Also have heard the HD800 (love them) and the HE560 (these were great as well). The LCD2 still hits an emotional note (especially the lower registers!) in a way that none of those aforementioned headphones and my other headphones (HD700, D2000, HD250, 7520).

Still, my LCD2 doesn't always get the most listening, mostly out of practicality. Yet it always amazes me. Recently been testing it with a Chord Hugo 2 and my O2/ODAC - it is just incredible.

Also, I've owned the HD650 twice, and its an amazing headphone as well. It has its pluses over the LCD2 - one ultimately being comfort, which is a pretty big factor. it's one of the main reasons why my HD700s are listened to most.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #12 of 17
I was surprised that there existed such differences between the models when I've tried them at meets against my LCD2 early rev1.

I wasn't a fan of the fazor versions, of either LCD2F or LCD3F. They just didn't feel as deep as my LCD2. But take that with a grain of salt. I'm sure they were fine headphones in their own right, Sometimes you just get used to the signature that you are familiar with.

That said, the LCD3 Classic I tried was better than my LCD2, even a bit deeper sounding. Even still, I didn't really feel any the lesser for having my LCD2. Also have heard the HD800 (love them) and the HE560 (these were great as well). The LCD2 still hits an emotional note (especially the lower registers!) in a way that none of those aforementioned headphones and my other headphones (HD700, D2000, HD250, 7520).

Still, my LCD2 doesn't always get the most listening, mostly out of practicality. Yet it always amazes me. Recently been testing it with a Chord Hugo 2 and my O2/ODAC - it is just incredible.

Also, I've owned the HD650 twice, and its an amazing headphone as well. It has its pluses over the LCD2 - one ultimately being comfort, which is a pretty big factor. it's one of the main reasons why my HD700s are listened to most.

I'm finding that the comfort level of the LCD headphones to be somewhat problematic, which is something that I expected, but I can't even bend over without them falling off. It's a subtle thing, yet feels important to me. I don't think I ever considered comfort to be such a factor until I had an LCD headphone .. go figure.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 17
I'm finding that the comfort level of the LCD headphones to be somewhat problematic, which is something that I expected, but I can't even bend over without them falling off. It's a subtle thing, yet feels important to me. I don't think I ever considered comfort to be such a factor until I had an LCD headphone .. go figure.
I'm strongly considering a new headband for my 2F, but damn is it expensive

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 17
The LCD-3 is definitely a more technical headphone. To me, side by side the LCD-2 sounded hazier and had a strange, slight echo that I didn't hear before I tried the 3s.

As for sound signature, I think the LCD-3 still retains the 2's dynamic, full and liquid sound but like others have said it's more lively and a bit less laid back.

I think the 3 is a total upgrade over the 2, unless you prefer the 2's warmer sound. Also the 2 definitely handles bass in a unique way and holds its own weight even in comparison.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 17
The LCD-3 is definitely a more technical headphone. To me, side by side the LCD-2 sounded hazier and had a strange, slight echo that I didn't hear before I tried the 3s.

As for sound signature, I think the LCD-3 still retains the 2's dynamic, full and liquid sound but like others have said it's more lively and a bit less laid back.

I think the 3 is a total upgrade over the 2, unless you prefer the 2's warmer sound. Also the 2 definitely handles bass in a unique way and holds its own weight even in comparison.
I've heard the bass is about the same in terms of texture and amount in both, with the 3 being a more dynamic and detailed headphone. After a bunch of research (this thread prompted me to do so, because I admittedly didn't know much about the LCD-3 beforehand), it seems that the 3 is more or less a straight upgrade from the 2 without many changes in the overall sound signature. The real question is of whether or not the upgrade is worth the cost. As I found out, the LCD-2F is a clean upgrade from the HD650 because they sound so similar; the Audeze simply does everything better that the 650 with the same sound. I would imagine going from the 2 to the 3 is the same deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back