New laptop
May 8, 2008 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DWhite90

New Head-Fier
so im getting a new notebook, HP. Its one of the special edition one's, and im pretty sure it is integrated sound card. I believe this will not be good enough for me, but when it comes to computer audio im not too well informed. Anyways do you think ill need to get a new soundcard for the empty PCI slot, and if so which one is recommended. Also, i do not wanna spend a lot, im on a budget, so let me see what is out there.

Oh..btw im just going to be using it for headphones, logitech z-2300 (not the greatest, but i got them for $75, new and shipped), and possibly a home theater setup through AUX on the reciever.

May 8, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 8
PCI cards = junk. That and its a wasteful expense, since right now you don't really have any equipment justifying an upgrade - if you want to upgrade, improve your speakers or headphones.

May 8, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 8
You mean PC Express or PC Card sound card, right? Because you usually don't have PCI slot (or none free) in a laptop. You can have a mini PCI port inside the laptop, but it usually made for Wireless cards or Bluetooth cards. 99% of the laptops have intagrated sound card, because it's cheaper, smaller and it uses less energy. Or if you do have a PCI slot then... What kind of huge laptop is that?!? Does it accept full size cards?
biggrin.gif

I have an X-FI Extreme Notebook PC Express sound card, it not bad, but it's not good either. It's about the same as the integrated sound card I have in my laptop (Lenovo T61p with SoundMax HD). I don't know how good your integrated is, but the one I have in the 15"4 T61p is much better than the one in my 12" X60t. It is supposed to be the same soundcard but the one in the T61p has a higher output power, which makes it better. The Headamp Pico and the RSA Predator are an improvement over the integrated soundcard, they are mainly cleaner and have less noise. After that, it is a matter of taste. But it does not worth money imho...

Follow Malos advices...

May 8, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 8
I would suggest u spend the money on new headphones.
because using Good dedicated soundcard with average headphones = no fun.

I am also using HP laptop with Conexant Sound card.. it used to sound lame..i did some tweaks:

1. Upgrade Sound driver,
2. get real Headphones (logitech are toys)
3. I set the sound to 24bit & man.. i get such a detailed sound + crystallized effect.
4. PreAmp your music using softwares like MP3 Gain or inbuilt on iTunes & WinAmp.
5. Use Softwares such as SRS Audio Sandbox to enjoy the best of your headphones.

These 5 steps will cost u much less & will give u high fidelity sound even from a laptop.

I ve used laptops all my life & these tweaks are sureshot.

May 8, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 8
You can try the Echo Indigo DJ, or the Audigy ZS. Both of them will probably be a lot better than the built in card, and will work better with speakers. You also have the option of digital output.

And don't bother with software effects, they only make the sound artificial and unrealistic. Get the cleanest signal possible, if you really have to make any modifications, use minor EQ. Setting sound to 24 bit is not going to do anything unless you have 24bit wave files.

And if you can mention what headphones you will be using them with that would probably help. Z-2300 are decent speakers. The Audigy will also give you the convinience of digital out to your home receiver, or individual channel outputs for multi - channel inputs on your receiver.

May 8, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5. Use Softwares such as SRS Audio Sandbox to enjoy the best of your headphones.[/B]

These 5 steps will cost u much less & will give u high fidelity sound even from a laptop.

Yeah, listen to jilgiljongiljing. Using sound processing software (like SRS's) or hardware will get you out of high fidelity sound. It makes the sound more fun for sure, but not hi-fi.

The X-Fi extreme notebook is the updated version of the Audigy ZS. You might want to get that instead.

May 9, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 8
oh sorry forgot to mention my current headphones, shure se210, and pmx100. Nothing great, but i do expect to upgrade sometime next year. Hmm, ill see what cards are at bestbuy that i can buy. (i work there so...)

May 9, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 8
I've got the Echo Indigo card and i think it should meet your needs. you could run a line to your aux input on your home receiver also. I love this soundcard, although for speaker listening I have a separate DAC for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back