New lambskin leather pads for the Pioneer Monitor 10
Jan 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
Before (this is before i got some rips in the fragile pleather):
5369d1213718841-just-arrived-pioneer-monitor-10-pictures-m10_cup_inside_small.jpg

With the new lambskind pads (and new foam)
pioneerm10lambskinpadsto7.jpg

I don't like pleather. The lambskin is really something else. Pleather is not leather even if it wants to be. (especially not very old pleather). The old Pioneer pleather looks quite a lot like the real thing on a photo, not as much so in real life in my opinion, and it really does not feel at all the same.

Not only are they more comfortable now, they sound better too.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 11
Some listening impressions: The new pads brought up the treble a bit, which was needed on my pair.

Comfort: I often wear glasses, and the new foam made the Monitorn 10 much more comfortable to wear with glasses.

Also, I should mention that I cheated a bit, instead of sewing the new pads, I used glue, and just put the new lambskin on top of the pleather. (I'm a bit lazy some times...)

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks. It's really not hard to do especially when cheating a bit. With new pads, I think the Monitor 10 is one of the few remaining (known) old cans that sound great while still being cheap. (The pleather usually doesn't look too great on photos from online auctions.). With new pads I find them comfortable, although of course still heavy.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 11
wow!..nice pads DAC

My pioneer monitor 10s need a change of pads too..This looks very promising..though if the new pads bring out the treble a bit more, I would be wary as I already feel these cans to be bright sounding.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 11
So the foam that you replaced is of a lesser thickness than the original ones?

Did it change the bass at all any? I think these headphones would be marvelous if only they had a bit more bass.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 11
I used slightly thicker and more springy pads. You might want to try thinner foam. Or a weatherstrip mod. If your pads have damaged vinyl then just putting on the lambskin might increase bass a bit by closing them in. How well they seal affect bass a lot.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 11
(I should mention that I placed a soft layer outside the springy foam, to make sure they seal good)

Since I like the bass as it is, I'm not sure what you want to do with it... but it's easy to try different variations with pad thickness.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Very nice!!!
I did a velour mod to my k140's that you inspired me to finally post. I'll do it tonight as I've put it off for a month now.
Since my 10's pads aren't cracking yet, I was planning to cut the stitching and just play around with the stuffing, i.e. add cotton balls to reach a desired effect.
Any noticeable effect on bass vs thickness???????

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm not sure about the bass, since I was trying to get sounds like drum sticks a bit louder, to match my HD580. That was affected by thickness (I assume that was it, I don't think I changed anything else by replacing the foam). (I'm not sure what instrument it's in the background in the beginning of Robot Rock (daft punk), but I wanted that sound to be audible early on like on the 580).

For sure, isolation has a major effect on the bass. If the pads don't isolate as they should, bass drops like a rock. (I know, that wasn't what you asked though.)

Now, I'm waiting for you to post those photos of the velour pads :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back