New keyboard for new build!
Jan 17, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #16 of 38
i dont want anything like that,

just either desktop style butons, [raised and bigger] compared to laptop [flat and smaller]

cant decide which, ut i am selling my 7000 microsoft one for a 8000 cause it lights up and is wireless! :0

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont want anything like that,

just either desktop style butons, [raised and bigger] compared to laptop [flat and smaller]

cant decide which, ut i am selling my 7000 microsoft one for a 8000 cause it lights up and is wireless! :0

I bought both, only needed one so got rid of the 7000 and I'm kind of regretting it. Sure the 8000 is backlit, but it comes with a number of disadvantages. First of all, while the 7000 is nicely put together, the 8000 creaks like a sailing ship in a gale. The other problem is that faced by the first-gen Macbook Pro's and the Powerbooks before that... it's the dumb idea to paint the keys silver while giving them a variable white backlight. Given the price difference especially, I'd definitely have not bought the 8000 if I knew everything about it that I do now.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought both, only needed one so got rid of the 7000 and I'm kind of regretting it. Sure the 8000 is backlit, but it comes with a number of disadvantages. First of all, while the 7000 is nicely put together, the 8000 creaks like a sailing ship in a gale. The other problem is that faced by the first-gen Macbook Pro's and the Powerbooks before that... it's the dumb idea to paint the keys silver while giving them a variable white backlight. Given the price difference especially, I'd definitely have not bought the 8000 if I knew everything about it that I do now.

ill give it a try a guess, [i have too now] and just hope this ones a better build :/

i did wonder about the colour.. does seem a step back from the ast one!

i guess theres only one way to find out! as i said, its too late now! meh

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 38
The Logitech Illuminated is nice. Same with the Razer keyboards. But I don't think that's what you're looking for since you want to move away from the flat strokes of the laptop keys. Being honest, you'll really want to stay with thin keyboards. The transition is mind boggling from thin to regular. It took me two weeks to get used to my keyboard when I was only using a half thin, half full keyboard.

The Illuminated is the best for general use. There are some Mac ones, but I think you have a PC. Razer is best used for gaming, which I'm not sure you'll like as much. It's targeted specifically for gaming, so you'll lose most of your media keys.

If you want to move away from low profile, a good keyboard is the K350, or the Logitech Wave, which is the K350's wired partner. Both are great, but no illumination and the learning curve is huge. You'll feel VERY awkward trying to go back to the laptop keys, or any other keyboard in general.

Microsoft boards are generally low profile, so Microsoft to Logitech will be hard.
G15 is not recommended for general use as much as others. Again, it's catered to the gaming communities. Most keyboards are. Regular keyboards, as long as they don't suffer from ghosting, offer better functions than gaming keyboards, except for maybe bindable keys.

If backlight is really that important to you, go with the Illuminated Logitech Keyboard.

The reason I love the wave keyboards is because of the amazing wrist rest. Best. Idea. Ever. I still want to look at Microsoft for all its media buttons though.

Unless you game a lot, there's no incentive to buy gaming boards, except for the extra programmable buttons.

Mac Series Logitech Keyboards is DiNovo or something I THINK.

It looks like I just threw random ideas in together. Oh wells
biggrin.gif
. Sorry if it's hard to read lmao

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

i was just going to say i have [almost] ruled out the g15 cause of the fixed orange colour, its really gonna clash with where its going and will probably annoy me, otherwise i probably would

i quite like the microsoft x6 [in red] and saitek cyborg [red], one has flat and one has risen buttons, [im thinking the risen buttons may be better for games?]

price for all of these is roughly the same, im also probably gonna swap my microsoft 7000 for an 8000 as its a rechargable light up bluetooth keyboard

Look for a generation 1 G15 blue backlit, more macrokeys, and flippy LCD

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blisse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Logitech Illuminated is nice. Same with the Razer keyboards. But I don't think that's what you're looking for since you want to move away from the flat strokes of the laptop keys. Being honest, you'll really want to stay with thin keyboards. The transition is mind boggling from thin to regular. It took me two weeks to get used to my keyboard when I was only using a half thin, half full keyboard.

The Illuminated is the best for general use. There are some Mac ones, but I think you have a PC. Razer is best used for gaming, which I'm not sure you'll like as much. It's targeted specifically for gaming, so you'll lose most of your media keys.

If you want to move away from low profile, a good keyboard is the K350, or the Logitech Wave, which is the K350's wired partner. Both are great, but no illumination and the learning curve is huge. You'll feel VERY awkward trying to go back to the laptop keys, or any other keyboard in general.

Microsoft boards are generally low profile, so Microsoft to Logitech will be hard.
G15 is not recommended for general use as much as others. Again, it's catered to the gaming communities. Most keyboards are. Regular keyboards, as long as they don't suffer from ghosting, offer better functions than gaming keyboards, except for maybe bindable keys.

If backlight is really that important to you, go with the Illuminated Logitech Keyboard.

The reason I love the wave keyboards is because of the amazing wrist rest. Best. Idea. Ever. I still want to look at Microsoft for all its media buttons though.

Unless you game a lot, there's no incentive to buy gaming boards, except for the extra programmable buttons.

Mac Series Logitech Keyboards is DiNovo or something I THINK.

It looks like I just threw random ideas in together. Oh wells
biggrin.gif
. Sorry if it's hard to read lmao

im not necessarily looking to move away from laptop style flat ones just wondering if i should really, havent used one for years except at work!

i may want a few hot keys, more for buttons like 'play' but also macros like [ctrl+r] for refresh, and maybe for games since im getting a comp to play them, so yah a few programable keys are desired, thats why i was looking at x6 microsoft, as much as alot of people dont like Microsoft i absolutely love their peripherals!

absolutely has to be backlit! but not that orange g15, preferably red, green or maybe blue, im a bit fussy on colour/style

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #29 of 38
if you play games, the best keyboard is the one with which you are most comfortable. I use and old school ibm clicky keyboard. I finding that I spend alot of time on my laptop so I quite fond of the apple chiclet keyboards now.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

^ you have the x6 as well? whats it like?

Well, it's my gaming keyboard of choice at the moment. I used to rotate Razers, Logitechs and Saiteks, but what the X6 lacks in whizz-bang it delivers in gaming-relevant features and a positive, not too long-throw key action that's very resistant to 'binding' (unlike the G15 for example) with wear. BUt obviously it's all personal. I just happen to have bought practically every major one out there and prefer the Microsoft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back