New JVC Air Cushions
Apr 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PepsiCo

New Head-Fier
I picked up a pair of Air Cushions a while ago, thinking they were the same ones everyone else had. But when I got home, I realized the model number was HA-FX67, instead of 66.

I can't really write a review, because I honestly don't know much about headphones, and these are the most expensive ones I've ever had.

The only difference I can see between these and the ha-fx66 are that JVC is written on the outside instead of R and L, which are written on the inside now.

I have pictures, but they are too large to upload here, and probably aren't that interesting...
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone else have these? I searched the model number and found no posts.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 9
It's a brand new model. JVC recently refreshed both the Marshmallows (old ones being FX33/FX34) and the AirCushions. They look quite different from the old AirCushions to be honest, though the stock photos don't really show much.

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Since they were US $16.99 shipped from buy.com, I couldn't resist trying a pair...

P1010037.jpg

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

The US version does leave out the plastic cord wrap but you get three silicone tips and one pair of foams. They have a cord slider that locks on to the Y-joint. The build is solid and similar the other current FX's.

I like the fit. For once a JVC fits me easy, fast and very comfy. No fiddling to get even sound in both sides etc. Medium tips right out of the box, right in, right away with no problems. Most of the other FX's I find a bit hard to work with regarding fit.

Out of the box they are only slightly warm/bassy and have some decent treble and separation. A fun sound which falls short of crisp but is not muddy either. Some tightness and a little speed. I quite like em! Happy for the price.

They may improve with burn in but these I can recommend them on how they fit and sound right out of the box. Unlike the FX66 which came out with a price tag of $39.99, the FX67 are under $20 right off the bat.

I'll let them burn in and update. Joker may send me a pair of FX66 if he still has them. I currently have the 55. So possibly a quick 55/66/67 comparison later on.

Apr 29, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 9
A word on the clip. It is nice and easily usable. You press the button and it opens up. Then put the cable in and let the button go so it closes on it. The hinge spring functions to both hold the clip on and the cable holding part closed. It will fit thin or thicker cables and leave no marks on them like some clips that fit too tight. Not sure how new it is but I haven't seen it before. A much better design.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 9
And now I'm tempted to buy these...

Head-fi has gotten to me again!

May 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 9
I happen to have a pair of blue FX66(Thanks Joker!) on hand to compare.

Essentially the same color blue. They sound like they are the same driver. The differences are...

Note: ~50 hours on the FX67(stock) and the FX66 has many more hours and paper filter removed from the sound tubes.

- IMO, I like the FX67 looks a bit more.
- I find the FX67 to fit better/easier (fit is subjective of course).
- The cables are near the same. The Y joint and cord slider are thinner and shorter on the FX67. The FX67 slider locks on to the Y joint like a cap. The strain relief on the FX67 are slightly thinner and more supple than the FX66.
- The sound is extremely similar. The FX67 with less burn in and the paper filters on the tubes has a slight more depth and is slightly more detailed/textured.

So basically the FX67 is the FX66 with refreshed look, improved ergonomics, slightly refined sound, and a much cheaper starting price.

May 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the pic. They certainly share design elements which is good - the old AirCushions are one of my favorite sets in terms of fit. Same SQ - not so good, but the lower price tag is promising. When they were released (~Fall 07) people thought the FX66 was a great value at $30-35. Having the refreshed model retail at half of that shows that we're moving in the right direction. 

May 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the impressions!  The original Air Cushions were a great bargain (I got mine for under $20 new earlier this year), and now the FX-67 seem like an even better bargain.

I use my MEElectronics M6 and Soundmagic PL-30 IEMs almost exclusively now, but I still keep my FX-66's on hand as my backup pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back