New JH7's and a preview of my JH16s I'm ordering tomorrow
Nov 24, 2015 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

justyourboy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! been a while since I posted here! When I last posted I was probably in college for audio engineering and only had a pair of JH5s. 

Anyways, I was working for Carnival Cruise Lines recently as their Sound Tech and they got me and the production cast some IEMs on their dime. The cast had to all get clear cuz they're on stage but not me. These are my JH7s. Based on a friends pair of Nike Air force ones I saw in 10th grade!

Colours are Tasty Waves II translucent shells, Ripple translucent face plates, and blue artwork. Beautiful!!!

You'll notice they have the Roxanne connectors/cables. Carnival Cruise Lines had a reputation of treating the IEMs pretty rough (some of the cast members have to do 30 second quick changes and rip their IEMs out to yell at stage hands and what not...) so they ended up getting us the Roxanne connectors. 
In the picture with the case the ripple color looks much lighter and pink than it does in real life. I reallllllly dig this color and was tempted to do my 16s the same but that's lame! I use these with my iPod classics eq set to "electronic" (gives me a litttle more 64Hz, and gives me some more sparkle... these really aren't that good for iPod use but they are good for mixing monitors live).

Now get ready because I am BEYOND STOKED to show you the artwork I'm getting on my 16s. and if you don't know what it is then you are dead to me :p

I was in a big debate with myself whether or not to get 13s or 16s. 

After a few phone calls with Jerry and Chris I thought I was set on 13s but I've decided last minute to get 16s. As Jerry explained the added low drivers on the 16s aren't for more overall bass, they're for the potential/headroom for more bass without distortion. Which as a monitor mixer I thought would be best. They were pushing for Roxannes but even with my discount that is a lot of money for me this time of year... Chris even mentioned I might enjoy 11s and that they are the most popular model among musicians as they're well balanced with a little more low end head room but I said screw it... I might as well spend the money and get 16s. My last upgrade was a year ago but that was for free, realistically I haven't paid for IEMs in 5 years so I'm doing it. 

I'm also very excited that I am sending in my original JH5s for a remold since I'm sending in new impressions for these 16s so I can officially have a gym pair, a backup for work (7s) , and a primary for work (16s). I know you guys may not care but I felt like posting! 

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 2
Well guys, here is my update:

After ordering the 16s I freaked out and called Chris and had the order changed to 13s. After talking with some colleagues in the business we determined it would be smarter for me to grab the 13s. 

I received them today.

First impressions:
Wow, I don't need to use an EQ on my iPod anymore... I am sorry (no I'm not) but the JH7s were pretty bad without an EQ. On stage it's different because that 2nd low driver gives you more headroom for making a loud punchy IEM mix but to be honest when initially received my 7s I thought my 5s were better for use with an iPod (or just use an audiophile in general).

When I listen to these 13s there is not much that jumps out to me... In comparison to the 7 there is quite a difference, (less mud in the 250hz... more extended lows in the 60 range and the mids and highs have clarity where the 7s were pretty muffled.) but there is no "special" sonic signature (11s have extra bass, 16s do as well, 10s are wicked flat for people that like to torture them selves i guess hehe) but these just are pretty well flat with a little added excitement at 60hz or so (which Im a big fan of because its the low bass that just the kick drum and the very bottom end of the bass guitar kind of touches so it doesn't make anything muddy). Other than that 60Hz bump these are pretty flat which I enjoy as a part time audiophile (haha) and i feel will allow me to do my job better! I would describe them as warm. 

What does jump out to me is the wider stereo image that the Freq Phase has given me on these 13s... not as wide as cans obviously but an improvement from non freq phase models. 

Tomorrow I have a gig doing monitors for some Rap group so I get to test these bad boys out.. but it's just a couple guys with mics, and a DJ running stereo trax so nothing to exciting for me but at least I get to put them to work straight away. 

I am very happy with the purchase of these 13s!!!! Very!!!!!

As you can see, those are the Siren Series connectors... if you want them instead of the regular ones just ask but remember replacement cables are more $$ for these than the regular 2 pin cables. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back