New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #406 of 740
This transformer issue isn't new. Years ago I had the original electrostatic floats and had 2 transformers fail. The original UK importer told me to handle the energiser box (which contained the transformer) with kid gloves because he'd found that they didn't transport very well and wouldn't take a knock!

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #407 of 740
Quite frankly the UK importer IMHO was talking bo***ks!
I have several sets of the original Floats and transformer boxes for the PS2 version, they have done quite a bit of traveling in the UK and within Europe, and taken a few hard knocks.  Not a single transformer has ever failed.  The only problem experienced is the occasional failure of the internal fast blow fuses which might be construed as a transformer failure by the inexperienced.  I always keep some spares just in case at 50p each its not a problem.  I have found the Jecklyn transformer boxes to be equally reliable as those of Stax.
Quote:
This transformer issue isn't new. Years ago I had the original electrostatic floats and had 2 transformers fail. The original UK importer told me to handle the energiser box (which contained the transformer) with kid gloves because he'd found that they didn't transport very well and wouldn't take a knock!

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #409 of 740
Quote:
Quite frankly the UK importer IMHO was talking bo***ks!
I have several sets of the original Floats and transformer boxes for the PS2 version, they have done quite a bit of traveling in the UK and within Europe, and taken a few hard knocks.  Not a single transformer has ever failed.  The only problem experienced is the occasional failure of the internal fast blow fuses which might be construed as a transformer failure by the inexperienced.  I always keep some spares just in case at 50p each its not a problem.  I have found the Jecklyn transformer boxes to be equally reliable as those of Stax.

The last version of the PS2 box was ok but the older ones are just crap.  Undersized transformers, highly questionable circuitry and the build quality is abysmal.  Indeed they just added extra transformers to the last version to make up for their size. 

It's quite clear though that they have no idea what is wrong with these new sets. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #410 of 740
I don't know how you can make such an assertion Spritzer unless you have detailed information which is not in the public domain?

We don't know how many units have been produced, how many have shown faults, or if the symptoms are consistent.  Given its a new product there could more than one issue that needs attention.  I would suspect most buyers so far are concentrated in Europe, Germany in particular and are not members of forums like this, so its difficult to get a feel for the situation.  There is nothing shown on their site which indicates production has halted due to any ongoing issues. 

Quote:
It's quite clear though that they have no idea what is wrong with these new sets. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #411 of 740
Nice! I love these! They're going to be my new gym headphones!

Actually, I'd get them just to see how many people want to smack them off my head.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #415 of 740
Quote:
I don't know how you can make such an assertion Spritzer unless you have detailed information which is not in the public domain?

We don't know how many units have been produced, how many have shown faults, or if the symptoms are consistent.  Given its a new product there could more than one issue that needs attention.  I would suspect most buyers so far are concentrated in Europe, Germany in particular and are not members of forums like this, so its difficult to get a feel for the situation.  There is nothing shown on their site which indicates production has halted due to any ongoing issues. 

Not many things that can cause these issues and replacing the drivers would always be the first step.  This is clearly a bias problem and they would had to truly muck up the PSU for the cause to be there. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #416 of 740
Those are K1000s, not Stax Sigmas. Just sayin'.

Your right. I think the Stax look worse though. It looks like both are designed for utilitarian purposes for optimum SQ. The Float looks like someone tried hard to make it look as bad as possible. I'd still wear it with a chin strap though:)

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #419 of 740
There is clearly some sort of issue still to be sorted as those dealers like attsaar http://www.attsaar.de/ who were advertising the new Floats have withdrawn them from their site

You may well be right Spritzer as I believe the drivers are the same at the originals, and the parts which have been updated are the Bias transformer and the headband/ear capsules.  
Quote:

Not many things that can cause these issues and replacing the drivers would always be the first step.  This is clearly a bias problem and they would had to truly muck up the PSU for the cause to be there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back