New iRivers, new Rios and other questions.
Aug 2, 2004 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I gave away my 3G iPod. I will most probably go 4G iPod but inbetween iPods I want something else. Whatever it is, it needs to support MP3 above all, and also support for FLAC would be good.

I'm not really doing any all-day journeys for a while, so the Mini / NJB3 combination is fine for the next couple of months... if there's a new player that I should check out due in that time, I can wait. Budget? To all practical intents there is no limit. 40Gb preferred but if a 20-gigger is as small or smaller than the Sony NW-HD1, I'll certainly take a look.

iRiver:
I've previously owned the H120 and don't rate it as a player in comparison to the iPod. If the H3xx's have the same OS, I'm not keen on it. However, I'm interested in what they've done regarding improving the poor large-library navigation features, the playlist generation features and if also if they've managed to improve the slightly substandard digital out. However, the H3 looks absolutely huge and I'd like confirmation of that. It looked about twice as thick as the H120, and the H120's bigger than a 40Gb iPod. That can't be right, can it? It looks hideous as well, but I'm not so worried about that as long as it works well.

Rio:
Chroma. I realise this is hugely speculation but when are we likely to see a release date for this?

Sony:
I am apparently going to receive an NW-HD1 soon, but I can't see myself using it on a personal basis. MP3->ATRAC transcoding is ludicrously slow, and 20Gb is a capacity that I'd need major intelligence (like iTunes) in playlisting, and Sonicstage has no such capability.

Should there be anything else I ought to be looking at?

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 27
[editx2]: I am not talking about the chroma, I am an idiot... The chroma is an "upgraded karma", with digital out and 40 gigs supposedly? These articles just talk about the new carbon and forge (nitrus and cali/chiba replacements) .. The new chroma is going to be a bad mofo.
[/edit]

I can't say much about any of the players you were talking about, but I do know a press release was issued for the rio carbon... Sexy ****ing player, and it makes me anticipate upgrading my karma to karma 2 when they come out (god these look so good).

For pictures of the new carbon and forge, check these two links out:

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/rio-...ter-018671.php <-- great pictures of carbon
http://www.riovolution.com/modules.p...article&sid=77 <-- picture of forge as well.

mmmm.
rio_carbon.jpg

[Edit]: To add picture, and to name the carbon the right name. =P

Aug 2, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
OK, I gave away my 3G iPod.

Next time you do something like this please inform me beforehand. I need to "see the light" moreso than anyone here, and you know that to be true.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jink
Sexy *bleep* player,

It is indeed. But I already have an iPod Mini which I'm very happy with, and at the other end an 80Gb Jukebox 3. I'm looking for something 20Gb and over, ideally 40.

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 27
Not considering the Karma? Plays FLAC, small form factor, and I'll probably be selling mine soon. Just got it prior to getting my 4G Ipod. I like the Karma (gapless playback, etc.), but it probably won't get much use now - Ipod is just too sweet.

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 27
SO whats the point of selling it if the iPod is not that better?

Its so sweet because it looks cool?

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 27
Oh, man....I want that Carbon. My H120's starting to piss me off with its bulkiness. Only problem with the Carbon is the back is...polished chrome. Remind you of any other players?

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 27
Wooaah - easy big fella, let's keep the thread on track. I simply find the Ipod superior for my use in every way to the Karma. SQ, form factor, controls, etc.

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 27
I dont have any of them. But i have heard comments that the best one related to audio quality is the Rio Karma. Thats why i want to get one ( probably next month )

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 27
Hi Bangraman,

I recently got a Karma and tests to date indicate that the Ogg encoding is superior to alt-preset-insane. I've only conducted tests without an amp so far into UE-10's. The soundstage and seperation of instruments seems better with Ogg (Highest rate). I'm going to re-code some more MP3's and play around with the gain as the next stage. The Ogg compares extremely well with FLAC. I'll also be comparing the sound with the Zen Xtra but initial indications are the Karma is superior. Finaly I'll be repeating things with ER4's.

I'm very pleased with the Karma and particularly like the navigation, menu structure etc. However, I can't select a song on the Karma, via the Rio software on the computer and play it back, either through headphones on the Karma or via the soundcard. I'm gonna chack out the Rio version of Notmad which may well overcome this.

If you are in the Bristol area give me a shout and we'll meet up and you can have a play with the Karma.

Cheers

John

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 27
I recently acquired a Rio Karma (cmascatellos old one) and I like it a lot so far. The sound quality is very good through the headphone output and excellent when I have it docked and line-out going to my PIMETA. It can be a little bulky if you like to put it in your pocket but I usually just hold in one hand while walking or whatever.

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlik
Oh, man....I want that Carbon. My H120's starting to piss me off with its bulkiness. Only problem with the Carbon is the back is...polished chrome. Remind you of any other players?

Not chrome at all. "Laser Etched" stainless steel. Rio is smart, and know what will look good and take a beating at the same time, unlike some companies.
blink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
Not chrome at all. "Laser Etched" stainless steel. Rio is smart, and know what will look good and take a beating at the same time, unlike some companies.
blink.gif

Heh. I'm a big Rio fan and all, but that's not always the case. Just ask Karma owners how easy it is to scratch the screen of their players.
frown.gif

Here's hoping the Chroma/Karma 2 doesn't have that problem - or actually has a case included, not a pouch. (Carbon has a case included.)

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinsomniac
Heh. I'm a big Rio fan and all, but that's not always the case. Just ask Karma owners how easy it is to scratch the screen of their players.
frown.gif

Here's hoping the Chroma/Karma 2 doesn't have that problem - or actually has a case included, not a pouch. (Carbon has a case included.)

Irony my friend, irony. Learn to love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back