New iRiver S10 nearly size of new iPod shuffle
Sep 16, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
I just push the quote button below the person's post and delete what I don't want. Alternately, you can just type QUOTE=username inside the first brackets, and end it normally with the /QUOTE inside the brackets.

I am interested in these little DAP's, but I don't know if I'll need a screen on something where I'll have a relatively small amount of music. If I needed a screen, then I'd probably go for a Sansa or the new Nano, but the new Shuffle is tempting me.

Thanks!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 26
Resurrecting this thread
biggrin.gif

Anybody had a chance to check the S10 out?

BTW: You can find a nice review of it here: http://www.pocketables.net/2006/11/review_iriver_s.html

Quote:

Conclusion

The iriver S10 is the best low-capacity flash DAP I've ever had. What other players have that it doesn't, however, is U.S. availability. It can currently be imported to the States from places like Warehouse123.com ($130 for 1GB, $194 for 2GB) and Advanced MP3 Players ($153 for 1GB, $211 for 2GB), but international shipping rates, which can be as high as $30, make the already high price point less than appealing.

Personally, I think the player is well worth the extra cost. The S10 is a delectable little DAP that does so much so well. It's remarkable in sound quality, size, customization, and extra features; it's easy and comfortable to use; and my god it's lovely to look at. Longer battery life and increased storage capacity would be welcomed improvements, sure, but both are becoming such standard complaints that I don't consider them to be deal breakers.

Looks (and probably sounds
biggrin.gif
) promising....

Cheers!

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio(DDMF) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resurrecting this thread
biggrin.gif

Anybody had a chance to check the S10 out?

BTW: You can find a nice review of it here: http://www.pocketables.net/2006/11/review_iriver_s.html

Looks (and probably sounds
biggrin.gif
) promising....

Cheers!

Yeah, definitely check out that review, it's been posted over at misticriver (an iRiver fansite) as well. I want one of those 2GB S10s!

P.S. 8 hours of battery vs 12 of 2G shuffle? Umm, factor in the colour screen and the ton of extra options (FM Tuner, user settings like EQ etc, actually being able to see and choose what you play (I hate that about the shuffle), and a lot more). And, like said above, who goes more than 8 hours with a player like this without being able to charge it?

It sounds like a definite shuffle-beater to me.

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 26
actually, the shuffle gets much more than 12 hours. ilounge has it at 16.75 and cnet getting 15.8.

for less than half the price (both 1GB) and double the battery life, the shuffle is still a very good option. once this becomes available in the US, it may be a different story.

choosing what you play on the shuffle is very easy.

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #21 of 26
it looks good. gg iriver. I am still waiting for the next evolution of the h100>h300>h*00 series.

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually, the shuffle gets much more than 12 hours. ilounge has it at 16.75 and cnet getting 15.8.

Yes, and according to cnet, the S10 gets 8 hours and 29 minutes, also more than advertised: Cnet Asia S10 Review

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 26
As a practical matter, 6 hours of battery life seems like a reasonable floor. More than enough battery life for most dap owners. Three hours in the morning and three hours for your trip home.

With these small players, I think the software becomes all that more important. I don't think I would like to drag and drop every few days. A software package that automatically reloads would be a must-have for me.

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 26
Just wanted to add that this could be a fairly nice player IF iRiver could get it's act together, and price it reasonably, but also make sure that it can be used as an UMS device for markets other than Korea...

Battery life could be longer, but I think 8 hrs. without attaching the player to a computer is quite reasonable for an "on and about" ultra-portable type of device...

Cheers!

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #25 of 26
Just one question...
My first thought when I saw this player was: Well guys I could carry a whole family of these tiny things in my hand... O_o

For me the players gets way _to_ small over the last year! Why?
Almost everybody carrys a 14" Notebook or something like that to business, school or university .... but NO the DAP has to be so damn small, that one finger fits the whole screen! O_O

In the background of the picture above you see the Clix ... thats IMHO a nice size.

Best regards,
jpk *who will train his fingers so that he can still use DAPs in the future*

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, just how do you read anything from a 1.15-inch display? Or just how useful would such a small screen be?

better than having no screen imo. plus the d-click system (same used on the u10's and clix) is a very good system with tactile feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back