New iPods
Oct 28, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #76 of 101
You know what... I just knew this was going to happen.
rolleyes.gif

The Ipod Iphoto is just what I need. It's only been 1 month since I had
my new 4G ipod.

I think I'll see what reviews say of the new ipod and if there aren't any
teething problems and then I'll get one.

... then I guess in a few months time they will have an ipod movie player
and then one which doubles up as a tri-band phone...... there's nothing
wrong with progress but if I knew something good was gonig to come out
real soon I would have greater choice.
I think they should have waited and released all models after the mini-ipod
at once, so people would have choice.

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #77 of 101
What do you guys all think about the frequency of new generations of iPods? I mean, they just came out with the mini and 4G earlier this year. If I were thinking about upgrading from my 3G I might hesitate because I'd want to know what's going to be released in the spring. In some ways I think it's smart of Apple to release these new models because it keeps their name in the news and people talking about them. On the other hand, like I said above, it might prevent me from upgrading.

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
What do you guys all think about the frequency of new generations of iPods?

I know what you mean, but actually we're seeing three different products right now. Mini, 4G, Photo.

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #79 of 101
I think that the mini and photo are just variatons on the basic ipod, not their own distinct species. sure, the market for the mini may be different than for the full sized, but this iphoto probably isn't. it just seems like every 4-6 months there is something new with a small improvement. Granted, the iPhoto is a more significant improvement over the 4G than the 4G was over the 3G, but how often can they do this before the public gets tired of it? I'm just asking. Maybe people won't get tired of it.

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #80 of 101
I think at this point they are more evolutionary steps as opposed to revolutionary steps. They realized people liked the click-wheel on the mini, and moved it to the 4G, improving battery life, etc... Nothing wrong with that IMHO. An no one forces anyone to upgrade....I happy with my 3G, maybe by 6G I'll feel the itch to upgrade, we'll see.

Scott

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #82 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Thickness comparisons:

iPod Photo 40GB, 3rd gen 20GB iPod, 4th gen 20GB iPod (the order in the pics changes, but it's easy to tell which is which).

I wonder how it compares to say a 40gb 3rd gen

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Thickness comparisons:

iPod Photo 40GB, 3rd gen 20GB iPod, 4th gen 20GB iPod (the order in the pics changes, but it's easy to tell which is which).

Wow, the iPhotoPod is quit thick. Did not realize there would be such a dramatic difference.

Oct 28, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #85 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandhi
Wow, the iPhotoPod is quit thick. Did not realize there would be such a dramatic difference.

He's comparing 20GB to the 40GB.

My 3rd gen 40GB is barely thinner than the 60GB photo ipod and they weigh about the same (the 60GB might be a hair lighter). I didn't compare it to the new 40GB photo ipod.

Oct 28, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #86 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inuyasha
According to dpreview website, it downsample pictures so it can display them on iPod photo. No good then.

I also read http://www.news.com that it downsamples, but there is an option to load the full resolution pics of course at the expense of disk space. Now why you would want to load full res pics to view on a 2inch screen or a TVscreen with relatively low resolution i don't know. Unless you are transferring the pics to work on with another computer their would be no use for taking up extra space for nothing.

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #88 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
Does it even have USB OTG? The color screen in pretty useless unless it does, same with the Iriver player.

No, apple wants a linear upgrade schedule.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #90 of 101
No audio defect here
600smile.gif

iTunes downsamples photos for display on the 2" screen. The purpose of the option in iTunes to copy the full res photos to your iPod is explicitly explained - so you can copy the original photos off your iPod when you enable disk mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back