New Ipod Touch ...what can be done to improve SQ
Sep 10, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lornecherry

100+ Head-Fier
OK, hit me now; smack some sense into me ... I must be touched. Let me digress: I hate the SQ of most, if not all, portable audio players, a properly amped iMod being the exception.

But having seen the new iPod Touch and everything non-audiophile that's great about it (from decent games and apps to audio-books), I'm now going to buy one instead of the planned iMod. Heresy, sacrilege and behavior unbecoming of a audiophile? ... my Stax are probably trying to jump off their stands as I confess to joining the i-masses of etched ones and zeros.

A Wadia iTransport awaits sleeping in its box, so I've got the home audio thing covered, but what can I do to bring the generation 7 I-Touch up in portable SQ?

Please suggest the best portable cans for SQ (I hate anything actually in my ear other then sound, so IEMs are out of the question). I currently have the usual stable of PX100s and Koss Porta-Pros and was looking at AT ESW-9s as my next purchase for portable sound ...would the ESW-9s be a recommended match of the Touch? What other comfortable and portable cans are recommended?

If only Red Wine or someone else could do an I-Mod to the Touch ...I think he might be able to sell quite a few. I'm standing in line now.

I never thought being 'touched' by Steve Jobs would hurt so much.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 5
..well if my kid's Nano with PX100's is anything comparable, as I'm sure it is, then I doubt the Touch sounds any better. I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully, this thread will become a starting point for bringing the Touch up a touch.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Although not quite as good as an iMod, simply using the line-out capability and running it into a portable amp should do a lot to improve the sound quality of the iPod touch.

Funnily enough the feature that really draws me in is the inclusion of a speaker. Not that I'm going to listen to classical music on it but I often listen to podcasts at night and currently I like using my PSP for this task as it has built in speakers. Since I don't really use my PSP for games anymore, I am seriously considering trading it in for an iPod touch which has superior internet, video, and audio capabilities compared to the PSP.

Ruahrc

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 5
the internet still isn't that great though, unless they improved the internet from 1G ipod touch? but I didn't read anything about this...

and still no haptic feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back