New iPod Touch 2g Guided Tour
Sep 10, 2008 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
I promise, no Rick Roll!!!
YouTube - Apple New iPod Touch 2g Guided Tour and New Features.
icon10.gif
Looks SMOKIN' HOTT - and the Touch is hot also!!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 21
What DAC is in the blasted thing? I love the features but I'm hoping the Wolfson was retained....or improved. I'd pay $100 more for the iPod Touch if it had a better DAC chip in it. With Apple collaborating constantly with the audio/music industry, I wish they'd look at the specs more closely with the likes of Burr Brown, Wolfson, Cirrus Logic etc.

Yes, I know, they have a certain market to contend with, but higher quality chips shouldn't be significant price drivers and would place the unit in true world class status. For those video heads, it would also provide amazing surround sound and other SQ favorable to movies. Apple has really promoted HD video capability with iTunes 8, they should promote audiophile sonic quality too.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What DAC is in the blasted thing? I love the features but I'm hoping the Wolfson was retained....or improved. I'd pay $100 more for the iPod Touch if it had a better DAC chip in it. With Apple collaborating constantly with the audio/music industry, I wish they'd look at the specs more closely with the likes of Burr Brown, Wolfson, Cirrus Logic etc.

Yes, I know, they have a certain market to contend with, but higher quality chips shouldn't be significant price drivers and would place the unit in true world class status. For those video heads, it would also provide amazing surround sound and other SQ favorable to movies. Apple has really promoted HD video capability with iTunes 8, they should promote audiophile sonic quality too.

If you want better sound, you'd better be hoping for an improved analogue output stage. That's the real bottleneck, not the DAC.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want better sound, you'd better be hoping for an improved analogue output stage. That's the real bottleneck, not the DAC.

Would you mind to elaborate more, please? I want to know more, what's wrong with the output stage?

Thanks

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcaudon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind to elaborate more, please? I want to know more, what's wrong with the output stage?

Thanks

Not good enough, it's just not good enough! And never will be
popcorn.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
popcorn.gif

hehehehehehe

Nice try....... but it won't work, I'm not a fanatic
tongue.gif

just looking for a bit wisdom........

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
popcorn.gif

Well, that was like receiving a failing grade on a paper in college with no other marks or explanation.
What is inadequate?
How would you improve it?

===

Cool infomercial too!

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 21
Jesus ****ING Christ, just got my Gen 1.1 last friday, i feel so screwed over, couldent they have leaked a little headsup?

I hope the Gen1.1 has a better DAC or just some little advantage, that can make me a little happy again
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well yes and no. They've had units that have had inferior DACs. I've gone through three iMods trying to get the signal path cleaned up and the with the iPod Touch that is of course not possible. That said, with higher quality interconnects to the line out stage, and with a reasonably good DAC, things are improved.

In the end though, you are right, there is a lot of noise in the way. And frankly with that said, that's true of many of the portables at various levels of degree. I mean lets face it, there are limitations and realities.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

The touch 1st gen has the same wolfson codec as the 5 gen ipod. Don't know about second one.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The touch 1st gen has the same wolfson codec as the 5 gen ipod. Don't know about second one.

That's my understanding as well. Some of the intervening generations I believe has a Cirrus Logic chip but I'm not certain. Hence, the iMod capability. With the Wolfson, I still don't see why you couldn't modify the iTouch to take the same "clutter" out of the signal path. Nevertheless, Ken at ALO tells me that Vinnie at Red Wine can't do it. I told him I would be willing to "donate" a few iTouch's to the R&D efforts.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

That's my understanding as well. Some of the intervening generations I believe has a Cirrus Logic chip but I'm not certain. Hence, the iMod capability. With the Wolfson, I still don't see why you couldn't modify the iTouch to take the same "clutter" out of the signal path. Nevertheless, Ken at ALO tells me that Vinnie at Red Wine can't do it. I told him I would be willing to "donate" a few iTouch's to the R&D efforts.

That would be really cool if he could, knowing apple they put the cirrus chip in the new ipods to save a little $$
biggrin.gif
Of course pretty much all ipods sound similar to me except for hiss, the 5g and the touch hiss more than the classic and nano 3g. I expect the new ones to be pretty clean output wise, we'll see I guess. Apples got a sweet price point for the new line up though :0 I might buy a 16 gig nano for just music and use my touch for video and apps (if the nano has a good LO)

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you 100% sure about that? If yes, thats pretty nice
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back