New iPod software
Jul 19, 2004 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
see here

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

notice all the new goodies Steve-O is only giving the new, v.4 iPods

the rest of us get "Enhanced Playback". Yeah thanks, f_cker.

one thing of interest - it says old iPods (without dock connector) are now compatable with iTunes music store? Does that mean they support AAC now??

Jul 19, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 33
So what exactly is "improved playback performance." Anyone updated the software and heard this yet?

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 33
since mine is the 3g 40gig ipod, out of these three i think only the enhanced sound thing is something my ipod doesn't already have:
---
Updates for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini:

Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store

Improved playback performance

Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
one thing of interest - it says old iPods (without dock connector) are now compatable with iTunes music store? Does that mean they support AAC now??

They've supported AAC & iTMS for quite awhile now (may though have been the last real firmware update). Reportedly this is just a repackaging of all current active firmwares.

Now gotta decide if it's time to upgrade from my first gen 5 GB iPod.

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
They've supported AAC & iTMS for quite awhile now (may though have been the last real firmware update). Reportedly this is just a repackaging of all current active firmwares.

Now gotta decide if it's time to upgrade from my first gen 5 GB iPod.

ah well, maybe i should pay better attention. didn't know that (about AAC on the oldies).

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 33
Um, correct me if im wrong, but the only "new" firmware here is for the 4G ipod with click wheel. the regular 3G version is 2.2 which ive had for months. Its just a new version loader because it includes the new iPod.

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Velda
Um, correct me if im wrong, but the only "new" firmware here is for the 4G ipod with click wheel. the regular 3G version is 2.2 which ive had for months. Its just a new version loader because it includes the new iPod.

but why do they say "improved playback performance" then ?

First post !! Hello to everyone !

Marcus

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 33
Does anyone else feel like a b*tch every time apple releases something new?

Press Release from Apple:

Introducing new iSomething v5. Same as v4 except a few tiny tweaks and a bunch of firmware/software we could easily just give you in your v4.... but we won't! Line up sheep.

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 33
because at the time 2.2 was released (2004-04-28) it did have "improved playback performance." Its the same description that has been on the v2.2 patch since it was released back in April

Edit: Google Cache of what the page looked like yesterday: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:e...&hl=en&start=1

And welcome to the forum, im new here too
eggosmile.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Velda
because at the time 2.2 was released (2004-04-28) it did have "improved playback performance." Its the same description that has been on the v2.2 patch since it was released back in April

Edit: Google Cache of what the page looked like yesterday: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:e...&hl=en&start=1

And welcome to the forum, im new here too
eggosmile.gif

which one do you think has the "sexier" design ?? as far as the design is concerned the 3rd gen is still my favourite.

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
Does anyone else feel like a b*tch every time apple releases something new?

Press Release from Apple:

Introducing new iSomething v5. Same as v4 except a few tiny tweaks and a bunch of firmware/software we could easily just give you in your v4.... but we won't! Line up sheep.

yeah, exactley.. I own the v.2 Pod which uses the _exact_ same processor and hardware (aside from the touch-buttons) as the v.3 yet Apple will not update it with any of the newer features. Of course, they'd rather you buy a new one instead. And it works. Even with me.. (...shame...).. I held out on the v.3's but now I'm getting a v.4, and giving the v.2 to my GF.

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 33
I'm hoping that the 60Gb will give us something truly new in terms of unit features. I'm very surprised that the 4G iPod is such a relatively minor tweak. While it's true that no player out there quite matches the iPod as a player (with the exception of the battery life, and that won't bother the vast majority of townie users) I would have thought there was plenty of room for improvements beyond that.

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling
which one do you think has the "sexier" design ?? as far as the design is concerned the 3rd gen is still my favourite.

I have a 1st and 2nd generation iPod, but I skipped the 3rd because of those damned buttons, although I must admit they look cool when backlit.
BTW, welcome to Head-Fi, sling.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 33
my 3G iPod in a black rubber case with a slightly red gel behind the screen protector is by far the sexiest IMHO.

ViPodLight.JPG

too bad i cant read crap in direct sunlight
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back