New iPod lod enclosure
Mar 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Pageygeeza

100+ Head-Fier
Sounds a bit strange doesn't it? Well, not really once I've explained this. I've noticed if you want to make a custom iPod lod, you have to hack away at a lot of stuff to get it to work properly. I had a brilliant brainwave today to be able to make your custom lod, but without hacking the plug to pieces.

I unfortunately don't have a spare lod plug floating about, so maybe someone might try this out.

All you need is just the main part of the plug, basically just the contacts and insert (the dark grey part.) Wire it up as normal, but don't remove the parts that protrude from the back of the plug that locks it into the socket. Take a reasonable sized felt tip pen and gut it and keep the barrel. Cut it so it's just a bit wider than the plug and put a 1mm slice down the length of the barrel. Position the wires so they pass either side of the protrusion, instead of removing it entirely and passing the wires where the protrusion once was and slide the barrel over the plug assembly. Because of the round barrel, the wires should easily pass around the locking mech and also because the barrel is open ended the wires pass easily out the end.

As for capping the ends, I've not thought that far ahead, obviously you can fill with hot glue and trim the ends. But you may have something better looking to cap the blank end. Actually, depending if it looks good or not, make the end where the wires come out a little longer so you can shrink wrap it.

Tell me what you think.

Pagey out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back