New Ipod classic coming?
Jun 25, 2008 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

sizwej

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know if the rumors of a new flagship ipod classic are true.I have read (from another blog) that apple may release a new version towards the end of the year with even more capacity than the current 160gb.Has anyone heard this or is it just another loose rumor.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 52
The rumor mill spinning already?

I doubt anyone will be able to give you anything but speculation at the moment.

Personally, i can't see how they would change it apart from increased capacity. The 'Classic' has always maintained the same look, coming from older generation iPods. I doubt Apple are ready to drop that yet, its too famous.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 52
yeah i figured that if any change was coming it would only be in capacity, i was just suprised considering that the current model is far from reliable.(i've already discussed that issue on another thread so i wont relight that fire).I do agree that it is just speculation,but i'm still interested to see if anyone has credible info on this.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 52
It would be nice to see for the new iPod, a mix of both, the classic and the ipod touch. This is: more storage capacity, bigger screen and a little bit of touch sensitive, with not so many applications that could make this new gen too expensive or very similar to the already existent iPod touch.

I'd say:

- 250GB
- 3.5 display (not-multitouch), wide/full screen.
- Smaller and touch sensitive wheel
- Digital line output

optional:

-Wi-Fi (because they really want us to buy more movies and $0.75 cents songs, yes $0.75 cents!!).
-Gunmetal colored case, perhaps?
rolleyes.gif

I would call it: iPod Neo or iPod Theather

And at $349.00 USD, It'd be a great gift for the coming holiday season!!

Come on Steve, surprise me!!

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 52
you should read a little at macrumours.com. the guys there start rumours years ahead. =]

they even have product refresh graphs and estimated release dates lined out nicely; predictions based on past product timelines that apple has followed. you'll like it.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 52
I just wish they'd bring out an iPod Classic w/a 3" screen - then I'd have a perfect portable to see flicks on the go and at work with!!

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 52
hmm, i dont think that they will change anything. they might just improve the itouch, and the nano. at the most, they would change the screen, but thats it. more capacity is almost redundant, the amount of people who want more than 160 gig is minute, unless you have a much bigger screen.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wish they'd bring out an iPod Classic w/a 3" screen - then I'd have a perfect portable to see flicks on the go and at work with!!

I'm actually fine with the Classic and it's screen. I have a couple of movies like Snatch, 300, Scarface and some more. But I really haven't watched those movies on the go. I'm mainly using it for my Apple Lossless. Which I've basically still have about a crap load of GBs to go.

eek.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chorejas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice to see for the new iPod, a mix of both, the classic and the ipod touch. This is: more storage capacity, bigger screen and a little bit of touch sensitive, with not so many applications that could make this new gen too expensive or very similar to the already existent iPod touch.

I'd say:

- 250GB
- 3.5 display (not-multitouch), wide/full screen.
- Smaller and touch sensitive wheel
- Digital line output

optional:

-Wi-Fi (because they really want us to buy more movies and $0.75 cents songs, yes $0.75 cents!!).
-Gunmetal colored case, perhaps?
rolleyes.gif

I would call it: iPod Neo or iPod Theather

And at $349.00 USD, It'd be a great gift for the coming holiday season!!

Come on Steve, surprise me!!

all of that for $350!!Steve would laugh his A** off.I guess it's nice to dream though.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 52
on second thoughts maybe it's not so unrealistic.dont know about the digital line output though.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually fine with the Classic and it's screen. I have a couple of movies like Snatch, 300, Scarface and some more. But I really haven't watched those movies on the go. I'm mainly using it for my Apple Lossless. Which I've basically still have about a crap load of GBs to go.

eek.gif

Even with 160GB, I could only fit 1/4 of my library if it was lossless.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with 160GB, I could only fit 1/4 of my library if it was lossless.

wow..how many track are we talking about?

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 52
Personally Steve could stick the extra capacity where the sun doesn't shine... I'd just like to have back a ipod classic that doesn't thrash around like a headless chicken every time it wants to display artwork - you know Steve that stuff that makes it I have to scroll about 10 times more than I had to previously in menus and that locks up the menu's and won't let me scroll because its thrashing about like a headless chicken trying to put pretty pictures on screen and means I spend less time using the damned thing for what I bought it for... listening to music.

Put that right and I also wouldn't mind if he give me back true Gapless playback like my old 5G's got, unlike this 'just hold on a minute I've got to pause now because some idiot in design and marketing thought it was great idea to make it that Gapless playback doesn't work anymore, so I'm just going to pause for a sec while I shuffle a bit more into memory and.... what?... whatcha mean I paused only a minute ago - oh ah yes that was a pause in between tracks and this is a pause because I haven't got enough memory to do what my older brother can do - think yourself lucky I'm not a Microsoft iPod, because if I was a Microsoft iPod I'd only have 640K of memory'

Sorry but I know its maybe jacking the thread, but the iPod 6G is a complete and utter joke and even more so as the EU version with permanently crippled volume. The next portable audio source I buy definatly won't be Apple.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow..how many track are we talking about?

I originally ripped everything to MP3 (pre iPod days) or AAC at 128kbps. That's 26,000 tracks and around 120GB. I'm slowly reripping to ALAC. So far I've ripped 9,800 tracks for 236GB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally Steve could stick the extra capacity where the sun doesn't shine... I'd just like to have back a ipod classic that doesn't thrash around like a headless chicken every time it wants to display artwork - you know Steve that stuff that makes it I have to scroll about 10 times more than I had to previously in menus and that locks up the menu's and won't let me scroll because its thrashing about like a headless chicken trying to put pretty pictures on screen and means I spend less time using the damned thing for what I bought it for... listening to music.

Put that right and I also wouldn't mind if he give me back true Gapless playback like my old 5G's got, unlike this 'just hold on a minute I've got to pause now because some idiot in design and marketing thought it was great idea to make it that Gapless playback doesn't work anymore, so I'm just going to pause for a sec while I shuffle a bit more into memory and.... what?... whatcha mean I paused only a minute ago - oh ah yes that was a pause in between tracks and this is a pause because I haven't got enough memory to do what my older brother can do - think yourself lucky I'm not a Microsoft iPod, because if I was a Microsoft iPod I'd only have 640K of memory'

Sorry but I know its maybe jacking the thread, but the iPod 6G is a complete and utter joke and even more so as the EU version with permanently crippled volume. The next portable audio source I buy definatly won't be Apple.

You don't have to display the artwork when you scroll do you? I have the previous generation, but I just bought my wife a current generation Nano and it has the option to do "Coverflow", but you don't have to. It can just scroll listing text. In that case, it's very fast. If coverflow is required, how do you scroll by artist, genre, composer, etc? Gapless playback also works fine on the Nano.

BTW, I believe that the volume limit was imposed by the EU government, not Apple. From what I've read, it's supposed to apply to all portable players, not just iPods. I could be wrong about this

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 52
I dont think the nano has the same issues the classic does.I have coverflow disabled on my 160gb, but i have the exact same problems that Leqin described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back