New iPod buds vs. old ones
Sep 15, 2006 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kurashima

Head-Fier
I just got the new 8 gig nano in. I saw the new buds and tried out them out to see if they're any different and, WOW! They're much better than the old ones!

From some brief listening, they seem on a similar level to the MX400. They have less bass in them than the 400 (which I figured, that's what Apple phones sound like, but it's nicely balanced with the bass boost), but a clearer and slightly more controlled sound. In comparison, the old iBuds sound dull and flat and not nearly as detailed. This is awesome since I didn't even expect them to be any different. This might have a little to do with the fact that the rubber the outside is coated in provides a better seal, but for the amount of improvement, I think they just got upgraded.

Anyway, I haven't listened to them too long, so I'm counting on the other Head-Fi iPod owners to give their two cents on this issue while I keep trying them out. It figures, I get a new iPod and I'm just playing around with the headphones.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 12
We all know the original iBud (which lets face it, apple came up with in like 1998) vs the MX500.

I want to hear someone do the new iBud2 vs the MX51

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Try amping them.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Hmm, I've tested it out more since then, and I still prefer MX400 to it. However, it competes. If you like having a clearer sound more than the ultra smooth Sennheisser sound, then they might fit you. I think they aren't quite as well balanced as the Senns though, which is the main reason they lost out to them in the end. Anyway, these are also very comfortable and are driven better by the iPod than the Senns. I wouldn't get these by themselves at that price though, and they're still not any super awesome headphones (like I said, around MX400 level.) It is a nice surprise though.

[edit] Oh yeah, they don't have any burn in yet.
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 12
I also got a new 8gb Nano. The new earphones fit me even worse than the old ones, but I think there is a bit more treble in them.

Is everyone aware that the MX400 and the Apple earbuds are made by the same factory? The drivers sound very similar. Most of the difference in sound comes from, other than the difference in impedance, the material of the housing, and the number and size of ports. MX400 is shaped and ported the way it is for sound. Apple buds were designed... for looks... They sacrificed sound for design and cheaper materials.

Sep 15, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 12
The, um, Apple Store also has pics of them...here and here. "Sleeker than previous models," they say. Yeah, the difference is, uh, dramatic.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by honda
The new earphones fit me even worse than the old ones,

Too bad, because I'm in the same boat: the old buds just didn't stay in my ears. I was hoping the new ones would fit better. (For that matter, the Senn MX400 buds don't stay in my ears either.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back